What's the last thing you bought yourself?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: What's the last thing you bought yourself?

Post by Kionon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm

In Japan, my normal car license covers small scooters or motorbikes. I've been thinking getting a SuperCub:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Kionon wrote:In Japan, my normal car license covers small scooters or motorbikes. I've been thinking getting a SuperCub:
It's interesting to see how this is determined in other places - is it just based on engine size or are there other conditions to determine whether one needs motorcycle-specific licensing?
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 am

It's engine sized, mostly. If you have a normal car license, you can ride anything 50cc and under (SuperCubs start at 49cc). If you have a normal car license, you are exempt from the written test and can get a quick addition made to your license for 125cc-400cc after the riding test. Anything higher than 400, you need to do both the written test and the riding test. The written test can be taken in English.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 am

4 TB - G-Technology G-DRIVE External
Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4 GB DDR5
16GB DDR4 RAM

goku.S
Org Profile

Post by goku.S » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:10 am

Last one!
Power comes in response to a need, not a desire!

Tinimellow
Org Profile

Post by Tinimellow » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 am

A little embarrassing, but homework assignment help was the last I’ve bought :( Uhh last month I was really swamped with homework papers

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Not technically the last thing I've bought, but the most recent thing that arrived in the mail was a copy of Magikano Vol.3. I'd picked up the first two volumes years ago during one of RightStuf's clearance sales for $3 or $4 apiece, but the asking prices for new copies of Vol.3 at the time (and while I was still unemployed) were still >$20, and now it's pretty much impossible to find any new ones. Going through my old wish lists, I'd finally resigned myself to having to settle for getting a used copy, so I looked on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, and found a Very Good listing for $8 (+$4 shipping, so $12).

It showed up today, and in keeping with the fact I understood it was supposedly used, the bottom of the DVD case had areas of gunk stuck to it (the slip cover also looked a tiny bit sunfaded, but that could just be my eyes). When I took it all the way out of the mailing envelope and looked at the top of the case, though, I'm actually pretty sure this was a new copy, since the seal with the ADV Films logo and disc label were still intact. So I took the seal off, and the interior of the case and the disc itself were absolutely spotless.

So I've basically come to the conclusion that yeah, it was a new copy that had possibly gotten stuffed into a box, but the box might've ended up water damaged, getting the case dirty. Upon taking the slip cover out to clean the case with Goo Gone, there is a little bit of rippling toward the bottom of the front side, but I really have to angle it toward a light to see that. So after cleaning the case, that looks fine now, the slip cover is maybe 95% perfect if those ripples really are there (there's no smell, though, so that could've just been from the packaging process or mildly humid air wherever it was stored), and the interior and disc are completely clean. I did test the disc and it played back without issue.

So yeah, I really got lucky on that.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Trisy
Org Profile

Post by Trisy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:40 am

The last thing I bought was a bicycle and it was one of my best purchases in my life.
I don't understand why I haven't done this before. It's so cool, just get on your bike and go wherever you want. You can take friends with you and go to the forest, or to the park, or just ride around the city.
It is also very convenient, because where I always went on foot, now I ride a bike, and it's very fast. Now I can get to the supermarket in 5 minutes, although I used to go 20 minutes.
Very cool thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:51 pm

I've bought a number of things technically. But the most interesting thing is a Supermicro CSE-846 based server which I now have up and running as my replacement UnRaid NAS device. Upgraded from 67TB of storage to 107TB so I have some room to grow (and 4 open bays still for drives).

Made a whole playlist of me working on it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... psJC2noM90
ImageImageImageImage

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 pm

A Power Mac G5 Quad and iMac G5 17" (as an insurance policy if the Quad turns out to be dead and unrepairable; I've already confirmed that the iMac works). The why to that being this, and because it's vastly cheaper to get vintage Apples to test with for the purpose of optimizing AviSynth+ with AltiVec - if I find myself up to the task of doing so - than it would be to try getting the requisite POWER9 equipment from RaptorCS.

Also, qemu-system-ppc64 can't emulate the G5, so even if I wanted to do that instead, I couldn't. And while writing the AltiVec under that would be an option, emulating the whole thing on an i5-9400 wouldn't be representative of how much it's actually speeding up on real hardware.

I probably will have to only ever resort to qemu if I want to do anything with more exotic architectures, though (eyes SPARC and - for the moment - RISC-V).

Return to “General Discussion”