The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Honou_Miko » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 am

VicBond007 wrote:
Scintilla wrote: There's a reason they've never mentioned A-M-V.org on the ballots (the most they'll do is recommending you hit up "your favorite AMV website" (oslt) for the videos after the con). I was under the impression that the reason was a legal one -- don't want to anger the record companies.
This.
Ouch, yeah, that makes sense.

It's so hit or miss with companies. Well, I dunno about record companies, but as far as anime distributors... I am pretty sure that Caitlin Glass has a blog, linked to Funimation, that started featuring Ouran AMV links from YouTube when Ouran was making its US premiere. I mean... that seems pretty lax. And I like it. It's nice when people actually recognize that we're helping to promote them. >_>

Hetalia, on the other hand... -_- Frontier Works haaaaaates it. My third strike for YouTube was a really dumb Hetalia video that wasn't even very well edited, used probably no more than 40 seconds of footage (repeated over and over for lip synch) over edited-down SNL audio. Tried to tell YT it wasn't the full work, was VERY clearly parody, but... nope. o_o
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:44 am

Honou_Miko wrote:It's so hit or miss with companies. Well, I dunno about record companies, but as far as anime distributors... I am pretty sure that Caitlin Glass has a blog, linked to Funimation, that started featuring Ouran AMV links from YouTube when Ouran was making its US premiere. I mean... that seems pretty lax. And I like it. It's nice when people actually recognize that we're helping to promote them. >_>
it's rare that anime producers will object to amv making, both japanese and american distributors. it's the music industry you gotta be weary of. only times i've ever had my vids pulled off of youtube was because of the music.

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:20 am

Rider4Z wrote:
Honou_Miko wrote:It's so hit or miss with companies. Well, I dunno about record companies, but as far as anime distributors... I am pretty sure that Caitlin Glass has a blog, linked to Funimation, that started featuring Ouran AMV links from YouTube when Ouran was making its US premiere. I mean... that seems pretty lax. And I like it. It's nice when people actually recognize that we're helping to promote them. >_>
it's rare that anime producers will object to amv making, both japanese and american distributors. it's the music industry you gotta be weary of. only times i've ever had my vids pulled off of youtube was because of the music.
Odd, and that sucks - usually they just disable my audio if that happens. All three times my videos were flat-out rejected were because of the anime distributors. (although the first one was actually a WB Cartoon, and it wasn't even a parody - it was a short clip and I can't argue with that.)
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

chui101
Org Profile

Post by chui101 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:08 am

Honou_Miko wrote:Hetalia, on the other hand... -_- Frontier Works haaaaaates it. My third strike for YouTube was a really dumb Hetalia video that wasn't even very well edited, used probably no more than 40 seconds of footage (repeated over and over for lip synch) over edited-down SNL audio. Tried to tell YT it wasn't the full work, was VERY clearly parody, but... nope. o_o
If it's clearly parody and they file a DMCA complaint, you should (after consulting with someone with some legal know-how) file a DMCA counter-notification. I did this for my Harry Potter/FMA trailer after Aniplex submitted a DMCA notice to Youtube. It was offline for a month but they eventually put it back up.

If they do decide that your counter-notification is worth pursuing, they can sue you, so be sure your counter-notification is solid. Have a friend who is in law school look at it or something.
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 am

gotenks794 wrote:
dwchang wrote:Your video won IIRC, so it couldn't have been that noticeable. But either way I wish I could've seen the '03 set up because it sounds really cool.
Well I did win, but during the actual contest I was a bit annoyed and thought it would impact all the results since every video had equally bad acoustic problems. I was shocked to have won since I thought the lyric sync being destroyed would have killed me. Fortunately not.

Again, I may have overreacted (as many folks who were actually in the contest) since we know our videos inside and out so hearing/seeing anything less than what we expect will be that much more noticeable. Like I'm sure most of us could point out the most subtle stuff in the songs we use, etc.

In any case, yeah I don't think the contest has ever returned to that room (from 2003) and I don't think they ever gave a reason. Vic?
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:09 am

BOOBIES!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 am

dwchang wrote:In any case, yeah I don't think the contest has ever returned to that room (from 2003) and I don't think they ever gave a reason. Vic?
Well, since I started going to Otakon again in 2008, that room's always been split into smaller rooms every year. This year, half of it was the HD Theatre, while the other half was the largest of the panel rooms (and they did need all of that space for some of those panels!).

But the folding walls and such are in place to make that possible with the ballroom. As far as I know, you can't subdivide Halls A/B/C like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And I know they even managed to lose one video room from last year to this year, the one playing all the kids' shows (no big loss to me personally, but that's been a staple of the con since I first went in 2003 and it's very odd to see it gone). How, I'm not sure, because I don't recall any space of the BCC going UNused by us this year.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:02 am

The way it was in '03, was Main Events (where the AMV Contest was screened) was upstairs in all that brand spanking new space that Otakon was renting out for the first time. Combined it probably sat 4,000 people. I doubt we can ever get that again because like Scintilla said, they split it between Panel 3 and HD Theater, both of which needed the space. Hall ABC can be shared, that is, Hall A can connect to Hall B, etc. Hall B/C was the Aircraft Hangar year. While the space CAN be opened up, the rooms only work well for A/V when they're isolated from each other. The giant space is better put to use by video gaming which currently uses it all.

I also wonder where out missing rooms went. Video went up to 6 on the "final" logistics plan for this year but Video 5 was missing, implying a last-minute yoink. i don't have the older floor plan so I'm not sure what space was lost. Probably something in the Hilton that was either closed or merged for some reason.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

DarkBasilisk
Org Profile

Post by DarkBasilisk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:29 am

You know... I think the main thing stopping Nara's success in the contest is : especially from the backrow (where I was sitting), that there IS heavy editting going on isn't immediately apparent. I just watched it on my computer over here and had a HOLY S*** moment :P Since I could tell "wait, the art on the stuff moving looks slightly different... omg it's editted in!"

Is this making sense to anyone or was I just really out of it during the showing on saturday?

TheTsunami
Org Profile

Post by TheTsunami » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:19 pm

DarkBasilisk wrote:You know... I think the main thing stopping Nara's success in the contest is : especially from the backrow (where I was sitting), that there IS heavy editting going on isn't immediately apparent. I just watched it on my computer over here and had a HOLY S*** moment :P Since I could tell "wait, the art on the stuff moving looks slightly different... omg it's editted in!"

Is this making sense to anyone or was I just really out of it during the showing on saturday?
No, you make a valid point. The characters that are edited into that scenery are fairly small on the screen and I absolutely believe that many people in the audience were unable to actually notice what was going on in the video. That said, I still don't think that the video would have had success in a popular vote (or that a general audience like that would be able to fully appreciate what went into that video).

Return to “AMV Contests”