The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Brakus
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Brakus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 pm

irriadin wrote:Looks like the schedule was posted. I think I got everything relevant. There actually is one overflow block, from what I saw.

Friday...

* AMV Overflow - 12:00PM - 2:00PM, Video1.
* AMV Contest - 5:00PM - 7:30 PM, Video1.
* Friday Night Fan Parodies - 10:00PM - 1:00AM, Video4.
Yay for AMV contest 1st showing in the late afternoon; boo for the 2nd half of it conflicting with the FUNimation industry panel. It's all good, 'cause I'll catch the whole thing on Saturday.

Also yay for Overflow on Friday. Our collective works will not go unnoticed. :)
Jefferys wrote:
Saturday...

* AMV Contest - 3:30PM - 6:00PM, Main Events.
* Iron Editor - 8:30PM-11:30 PM, Panel2.
You know...wishful thinking here, but there may be just enough time to count ballots from this viewing block to actually announce at Iron Editor...maybe...

Granted, though, a lot of people mull over their decisions and in the past there was a ballot box placed at the info table. Having a decision deadline within two hours after the Saturday showing seems a bit off for me...

Also, the 11:30PM end time for IE...seems a bit, erm, late...I wonder...
On top of that, Iron Editor conflicts (the last hour of it, anyway) with Mike & Meri's "Ten Things You Didn't Know about Dragon Ball" panel, not to mention a late LATE exit at the end of Iron Editor puts the kibosh on doing the usual post-IE dinner....

Also, I didn't see a general AMV panel in the schedule; I guess no one took the initiative to submit such panel to Otakon (again) this year?
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Brakus wrote:[...] not to mention a late LATE exit at the end of Iron Editor puts the kibosh on doing the usual post-IE dinner....
You might want to let them know that over in the Otakon AMVers' dinner thread in the Anime Conventions board. I don't believe that little snag has been brought up yet.
Brakus wrote:Also, I didn't see a general AMV panel in the schedule; I guess no one took the initiative to submit such panel to Otakon (again) this year?
Looks like. All I see is Advisor's Ten Funniest AMVs of All Time, and a late-night AMV Hell 5 panel (presumably run by SSGWNBTD?).

We really should get organized enough to work something out for next year, even if it's just four AMVers and a host taking whatever questions the audience throws out (like in 2008 and 2004 and so on).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

chui101
Org Profile

Post by chui101 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Brakus wrote:[...] not to mention a late LATE exit at the end of Iron Editor puts the kibosh on doing the usual post-IE dinner....
You might want to let them know that over in the Otakon AMVers' dinner thread in the Anime Conventions board. I don't believe that little snag has been brought up yet.
Brakus wrote:Also, I didn't see a general AMV panel in the schedule; I guess no one took the initiative to submit such panel to Otakon (again) this year?
Looks like. All I see is Advisor's Ten Funniest AMVs of All Time, and a late-night AMV Hell 5 panel (presumably run by SSGWNBTD?).

We really should get organized enough to work something out for next year, even if it's just four AMVers and a host taking whatever questions the audience throws out (like in 2008 and 2004 and so on).
I submitted applications for AMV workshops last year but got denied. So... I'd be up for helping put together something next year. Fo' shiz.

Also, we could do a pre-IE meetup...
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Shepi wrote:A random suggestion for this year or next-- but I always find it hard to identify all the AMV editors at the con (besides maybe randomly sitting next to one in those super special awesome seats during the AMV contest). So, perhaps we should all wear some identifying clothing, pin, hair piece, face paint, symbol....something, to say we serve the Editing King. :o
You mean, like the official Org badge? I would always wear mine to Otakon, with my smiling Kaoru avatar, until I stopped doing it last year (I believe), because no one else was doing it and it didn't seem right to wear it while in cosplay. Actually, even in 2003 and 2004 I was the only one doing it at Otakon.

(WHY can't I find the actual page on the site that explains the badge?)
I'll print one out and wear it to the con. I also always wear a A-M-V.org button on my bookbag.
http://www.zazzle.com/buttons_2008_logo ... 2552536715
NightMistress85 wrote: I'll be donning the "I'm cool with One-Winged Angel Productions" badge :P (if that's how friend badges go as I only have my finalist badge from last year :lol: ).
hope to see you during the convention. (especially since it seems that New York Anime Fest won't be having a AMV contest this year.)

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:07 pm

kireblue wrote: (especially since it seems that New York Anime Fest won't be having a AMV contest this year.)
WHAT.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm

gotenks794 wrote:
kireblue wrote: (especially since it seems that New York Anime Fest won't be having a AMV contest this year.)
WHAT.
Absolutely everything on their site relating to AMVs has mysteriously vanished. Since they are joining with Comic-con this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some changes.

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:22 pm

kireblue wrote:
gotenks794 wrote:
WHAT.
Absolutely everything on their site relating to AMVs has mysteriously vanished. Since they are joining with Comic-con this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some changes.
Oh. I think (IIRC) there was a similar phenomenon last year. But I cold be wrong.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:03 pm

gotenks794 wrote: Oh. I think (IIRC) there was a similar phenomenon last year. But I cold be wrong.
I just sent them a message asking if there will be a contest this year. If I get a reply, it will probably be on Monday.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 am

I tried submitting for showing all four AMV Salads for a panel but I guess they didn't like that idea. But there's AMV Hell on the schedule? Hell, they elected to not bring back my game show (Live Action Whack-a-Catgirl) back this year, and we damn near filled the room first time out. Meh...I'll try again next year.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Angelyco
Org Profile

Post by Angelyco » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:53 am

It says "The Making of AMV Hell 5" so I don't think it's a full showing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”