The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Ileia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:29 pm

gotenks794 wrote:Cuz just about every contest result thread has this argument.
I disagree with this. I rarely see it.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Just glad to be a part of the dance. Maybe one year I can go to Otakon, gotta get paid though.

Congrats to all teh winnarz.

PIZZA HUT!!!!
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Ileia wrote:
gotenks794 wrote:Cuz just about every contest result thread has this argument.
I disagree with this. I rarely see it.
Well you're probably right then, I was just talking about the ones I follow, which obviously isn't "just about every" one. :sweat:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Scintilla wrote:
TnAdct1 wrote:UPBEAT/DANCE
Winner: I Ain't Marryin' No Friggin' Horse!!! by ZaCloud
Added link. I knew I had seen this one on the Org before.

Upbeat was undoubtedly the strongest category this year, so I'd say ZaCloud really has something to be proud of here.
This has been one of my favourite amv's, and on my permanent playlist, since it came out. I despise Haruhi and am sick to death of that dance, but ZaCloud did something really innovative and fun with it. Grats!

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 am

CorpseGoddess wrote:I despise Haruhi and am sick to death of that dance, but ZaCloud did something really innovative and fun with it. Grats!
Not to be rude, but what was innovative about it? The limitation of footage?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 am

Kitsuner wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:I despise Haruhi and am sick to death of that dance, but ZaCloud did something really innovative and fun with it. Grats!
Not to be rude, but what was innovative about it? The limitation of footage?
Not rude at all. I thought that re-interpreting the limited footage was an interesting exercise. Using different/reverse speeds and using the footage differently. I also appreciated the fact that there was obviously care made to match physical and emotional queues with the lyrics.

Like I said, I got sick of seeing that dance routine ad infinitum, ad nauseum. This vid just struck me as a new way to use it that kept my interest and interpreted the song well using the dance movements.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:56 am

msanogi wrote:
DarkMammoth wrote:While I'm glad that "Britannia, [Expletive] Yeah!" won, I'm a little annoyed that the description give a link to a supposed uncensored version but the video is still censored.
Lol, I was JUST fixing that on the video description before I saw your post. I'll be uploading the uncensored version to a-m-v.org once I get a chance to sit down at my mac later tonight =D

Sorry for the typo/confusion =0 (To be honest, I HAD planned on putting the uncensored version up on YouTube and linking it, instead of putting it up on here, but the bleeps in the censored version were actually the only thing that got it past the bots interestingly enough.)
Actually, the censored version makes it even funnier IMO. I think you should leave both versions up if you can. There's just something about the bleep that makes some things funnier. :)
Congrats to Brakus as well. I know you were excited man, lol. XD
I was hinted that I may have placed in the top 2, but when I saw my name up there, all I could say was "HOLY CRAP! THANK YOU! APAAAAAA!" :) That truly stunned me, in a good way. Heh.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:39 am

Honou_Miko wrote:I am sort of honored to have stirred up quite a ruckus, though. At least I'm memorable. :wink:
Don't worry, the love child of your Misa epic landed very very well in AMVS4 :D I was looking forward to your Misa vid since you described it, and much like Sail On and Girlfriend, you've probably added Poet and the Pendulum to the "Wellp... that one's no longer available for anyone else!" list. As soon as you accept the length, the vid does justice to all the things we discussed before in the other thread. The people who want to get it will. I do remember a very strong cheer on Friday from at least a section of the audience. You could tell that the audience's American A.D.D. mind was struggling to get over itself to enjoy the vid, it's just... well... it's America... so blame Bandit Keith. The fact that the music and video change focus multiple times definitely added to its survivability though.

And very well done, everyone!! I have to say, it's been one of the hardest voting years in recent memory due to all the wonderful entries. I don't want it to sound like a bad thing, but I can't even describe the simultaneous collision of total understanding and utter confusion at seeing ZaCloud's Haruhi dance win. For the first time in a while I sincerely was at a loss for words to articulate why I understood and didn't understand how it won. It wasn't even for lack of loving the idea either, I found it very enjoyable :D Still can't really find the words, but I'm happy it got recognition.

Now... to watch Macross Frontier and 5cm Per Second so I can watch the videos I had to look away from for spoilerific reasons.
ImageImageImage

MrPaper
Org Profile

Post by MrPaper » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 am

Does anyone have a link to the amv used in the trivia game close to the end of the panel? It had alot of different animes and had a techno beat to it.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 am

Great work, guys. It was definitely a tough decision when it came to voting.

Return to “AMV Contests”