The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2009 AMV Contest Rules

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:
phoenixblood wrote:Do you mean because there's so many good videos that some will have to be cut, or are you referring to legal issues causing otherwise very decent videos to have to be cut?
I've been VERY carefully picking out potential legal issues, and every submitter that had a potential problem, corrected it before the deadline. ~I~ don't see any legal problems with anything that we have right now.

What I mean is that there are so many GOOD videos this year, that because of time restraints, not all of the really good videos will make it in. Only the best of the best. This means that the contest itself, will almost be as good as Jeff's contest intro! ;-)
There goes my chances of making it in. :P
i've forgotten what i entered :roll:

phoenixblood
Org Profile

Post by phoenixblood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 am

VicBond007 wrote:What I mean is that there are so many GOOD videos this year, that because of time restraints, not all of the really good videos will make it in. Only the best of the best. This means that the contest itself, will almost be as good as Jeff's contest intro! ;-)
Ah, I see. Well, thanks for the forewarning on it at least. :\

Are you going to post a breakdown of the number of entries in each category?

SecondChild
Org Profile

Post by SecondChild » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 am

VicBond007 wrote:
What I mean is that there are so many GOOD videos this year, that because of time restraints, not all of the really good videos will make it in. Only the best of the best. This means that the contest itself, will almost be as good as Jeff's contest intro! ;-)
Quite seriously, as I sat there watching the intro last year, I distinctly recall thinking "Wow, I really need to polish my skills." Love it to death, especially with the inspired song choice; a nod to Daicon.
"Take the mask off from your head/You don't know where you're being lead."

- Aaron B. (TSC)

Sonydjsnmix
Org Profile

Post by Sonydjsnmix » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm

VicBond007 wrote:What I mean is that there are so many GOOD videos this year, that because of time restraints, not all of the really good videos will make it in. Only the best of the best. This means that the contest itself, will almost be as good as Jeff's contest intro! ;-)
That's great news because the Otakon contest these past 2 years has been unimpressive to me. Now I can't wait for the contest!!!! If Vic approves then I'm not worried :P

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Sonydjsnmix wrote:
That's great news because the Otakon contest these past 2 years has been unimpressive to me. Now I can't wait for the contest!!!! If Vic approves then I'm not worried :P
Really? I dunno I thought last year's was pretty good.

Junipertay
Org Profile

Post by Junipertay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:55 am

NightMistress85 wrote:Really? I dunno I thought last year's was pretty good.
I agree! :up: Otakon is the only con my husband and I attend, and in comparing the past three years, we both think last year's AMV contest was the best in terms of overall quality. I had a hard time voting in some of the categories because I liked so many of the vids, and that's saying something since I'm usually damn picky about AMVs. And I can't think of any video that seemed out of place or not good enough to be in with the rest (well, except for my own entry, but I always feel that way. lol :| :sweat:)

Also, the opening/intro was kick-arse-fantastic! I can't wait to see this year's.

dragonsong12
Org Profile

Post by dragonsong12 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 am

I admit I kind of worry a bit that his "too many good ones" statement is just a kind way of letting down those of us who don't get in. (Oh? I didn't get in? Well, there were some really good ones, so that's not so bad!)
But on the other hand, I also agree that the Otakon AMV contest is one the highlights every year for me. I take the voting card home with me whenever I'm able so I can download the ones I liked...and it's always a good chunk of them.

...plus I'm just pessimistic at this point, which is kind of unfair.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm

dragonsong12 wrote:I admit I kind of worry a bit that his "too many good ones" statement is just a kind way of letting down those of us who don't get in. (Oh? I didn't get in? Well, there were some really good ones, so that's not so bad!)
But on the other hand, I also agree that the Otakon AMV contest is one the highlights every year for me. I take the voting card home with me whenever I'm able so I can download the ones I liked...and it's always a good chunk of them.

...plus I'm just pessimistic at this point, which is kind of unfair.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. you should be excited that your video is going up against a large number of good videos. If you make the cut, it makes it all the more worth it. if you don't, at least you had the opportunity and you can say you went up against a good batch of videos. be optimistic.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:08 am

So, no anticipated category drops this year? Somehow I'm personally more worried about those than being outed by a hundred or so god tier videos.

Neardawg
Org Profile

Post by Neardawg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:50 am

Wonder if Rehdogg submitted another video for the WTF category.
Master D - Happy Minority Studio

Return to “AMV Contests”