AnimeUSA 2006 Finalists

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Re: AnimeUSA 2006 Finalists

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Brakus wrote: I want to hear from at least one person who is still going to Anime USA this year despite entering the AMV contest and not making the cut. I bet you dollars to donuts that I won't hear from anybody else.
I didn't even get my video done in time for the contest deadline, but I'm still going to the con 8-)
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Illia Sadri wrote:Goddamn it enough! How old are you anyway? According you your livejournal enough to know better. So you aren't bashing other vids for once... we still are tired of your whining EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Maybe it's because nobody ever thinks about my point of view. How would you feel if you spent all this time and effort on something, and you were so set on showing it off to other people, when all of a sudden you have been told that you won't be able to have it shown? And don't say to me "just watch the overflows" -- because last year there were only 2 or 3 people in the entire AMV room watching the overflows with me at Anime USA. After all, this isn't Otakon. I wouldn't have cared so much if I weren't going to Anime USA to begin with, but since I was thinking about it, the news certainly discourages me from doing so. I mean, nobody else but the three people in the room at the overflow session is going to see my videos.

You've met me in person and you know that I'm usually a good person to be around. People in person are totally different than the personality they put forth online. I've been turned around meeting people in person that came off as total jerks online.
Since I know you won't get the concept here i think it is time to be blunt. Just don't submit to cons. Don't post in this section if this is how you are going to act.
In other words, I should not be allowed to whine whenever I don't make finals at a convention I intend on attending. And I shouldn't share with others things that I created and want others to see, because it's not going to be good enough for the judges.

I never said that my videos deserved to be in the contest at all. I never said that I should be up there instead of others. I was just making light of the fact that I didn't make finals, and that I was disappointed that I may not go to this one convention I was planning to go to. I *know* that not everybody that submits will make the cut. However, people are going to complain to some degree that their videos didn't make finals. Maybe not as loudly as myself, but they will say something. If they're allowed to, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to.

I would want to hear words of encouragement and maybe advice like yours might be helpful.... but the competition in whatever good contest seems to be so cut-throat sometimes, they don't even wish each other good luck or give anybody words of encouragement.
Notice how before you potesd that all the posts were well spirited and upbeat? That's what a hobby should be. So just stop already.
They made finals. And those that didn't weren't planning to attend the con anyway. I still haven't heard from a soul out there that's still going to Anime USA despite not making finals. Anybody out there wanna prove me wrong?
If you can't keep your mouth shut go angst on livejournal so that nobody else needs to read you 'woe is me I am so bad so I am going to let everyone know yet again' and let us look forward to the contest and results.
I'd much rather hear something constructive (and maybe blunt) but not insulting on why I shouldn't have made such a big deal about this, and why I should still go to the convention even though I didn't make finals. I mean we do this for practically nothing because of the legal issues concerned; why are people still motivated to keep making videos?
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 pm

One of these days I'll actually afford being able to goto AUSA... until then, wish I was there and good luck.

Of course we all know the power of 4chan compels you to vote for me ^^
ImageImageImageImage

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 pm

Brakus wrote: I still haven't heard from a soul out there that's still going to Anime USA despite not making finals. Anybody out there wanna prove me wrong?
??? Are you trying to get out of that donut bet or what?

Go back and read my post.

Both TH3G3CK0 and I submitted AMVs to AnimeUSA and did not make the finals. Both of us will be there to enjoy the show!

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm

wait... people are not going to a con just because their video didn't make it into the final cut?

Jeeze... thats... childish don't you think? I mean, you miss out on all of those great AMVs on the big screen and all doing things like that, not to mention all the other cool things that happen at the con. I was honored to be able to watch all the great AMVs at the first cons I was able to attend. I didn't make the cut at half of them, but that didn't stop me.

I don't know, perhaps I have a different view of things becaue I was a fan long before I started making videos. I find it an honor to even compete against these other great editors I've looked up to for so long just for a spot in the showing.
ImageImageImageImage

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm saddened by the fact that I have to repost this.

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Brakus, i am blunt because being constructive has done nothing... for two years. I've discussed these things with you over aim, you've posted in threads multiple times whining on vids that made it in while yours did not. It's become a near given for awa's pro contest every year.

Since no nice words get through to you, it's just time to say to shove it. You do have the overflows. Sure it is not like Otakon but people will see it. Go watch with your friends.

And see there are people attending the con who did not make it in. I had several of them for tekkoshocon's contest as well. I often would explain to them how they can improve when they asked be it improved source footage, better attention to timing etc. They submit, they make it in or don't they enjoy the con and the show anyway. And most of these kids i deal with at a small convention are about 15-16 years old. If they can take not making it into a contest you really ought to know better.

Why not just make vids because you like them? Seriously. I made a fanservice vid for what reason? It can't compete at more than a handful of contests. However the fact was... hey, I wanna use genshiken in a vid... a hommage to Otakus is perfect. I had a blast making all those tedious masks. The one I entered this time... was going to be my pro vid. I am still fixing it. It's my storytelling one I made because I like drama vids that aren't just pretty scenes strung together. Hell, I laugh at the fact I edited half of my ff8 video when drunk and still don't get my motivation... but I did it and if anything it occupied me for awhile.

If you are going to try to defend yourself, just shut your yap already. We've all heard it multiple times. It is safe to say that nobody wants to hear it.

Oh yeah and JudgeHolden... friend will let me borrow camera... i'll link the pic of the costume when i get around to getting it on. Seems like Last Exile isn't such a forgotten show afterall.

And for anybody who has not seen some of the vids in the contest... it is going to be pretty damn good. There are several in there that I personally think were just mastery. Audience should enjoy it. Well at least those who don't think all amv's should be comedy *sigh*

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 pm

OMG I was going to stay out of this and maybe I should but here is my feedback on this matter.
Brakus wrote:
Maybe it's because nobody ever thinks about my point of view. How would you feel if you spent all this time and effort on something, and you were so set on showing it off to other people, when all of a sudden you have been told that you won't be able to have it shown? And don't say to me "just watch the overflows" -- because last year there were only 2 or 3 people in the entire AMV room watching the overflows with me at Anime USA.
I spent nearly 6 months on Sending Freedom when I sent it to Otakon. 6 months Brakus you didn't hear me complain online about it. I pointed to other videos I was suprised about that didn't make the finals because I realized that they were better than my amv. Yes it was disappointing but I still had a great time at the convention and got to hang out with my friends. Plus not to mention cosplaying and people remembering me from other conventions because of that.

Also AWA my video wasn't nominateed for anything but I still flew down to Atlanta, why because I wanted to meet some creators that you would probably never meet anywhere else. I know that I wasn't going to get anything but I enjoyed my experience.

Brakus wrote: You've met me in person and you know that I'm usually a good person to be around. People in person are totally different than the personality they put forth online. I've been turned around meeting people in person that came off as total jerks online.
This is true when you are in person you are completly different. At least when I have met you in person.
Brakus wrote:
I never said that my videos deserved to be in the contest at all. I never said that I should be up there instead of others. I was just making light of the fact that I didn't make finals, and that I was disappointed that I may not go to this one convention I was planning to go to. I *know* that not everybody that submits will make the cut. However, people are going to complain to some degree that their videos didn't make finals. Maybe not as loudly as myself, but they will say something. If they're allowed to, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to.
That's right you didn't say that your video deserved to be in the contest but it came off like that to some people. I knew you were joking because of how you typed it on the post. What I normally do is see who made the finals. Check out there videos and then say you know I can see why my video didn't make the finals. You have to analyze the videos that are available for download or other vids of the creators to get an idea of where your video could have possibly ranked among them. In order to do this you must be unbiased.

Notice how before you potesd that all the posts were well spirited and upbeat? That's what a hobby should be. So just stop already.
Brakus wrote: They made finals. And those that didn't weren't planning to attend the con anyway. I still haven't heard from a soul out there that's still going to Anime USA despite not making finals. Anybody out there wanna prove me wrong?
If you notice that a lot of people in other posts have said good luck to everyone I can't wait to see the contest or something along those lines. I say it all the time because I want to see the best amv win.

Brakus wrote: I'd much rather hear something constructive (and maybe blunt) but not insulting on why I shouldn't have made such a big deal about this, and why I should still go to the convention even though I didn't make finals. I mean we do this for practically nothing because of the legal issues concerned; why are people still motivated to keep making videos?
Why do we do this? I asked myself the same question at AWA this year. If you remember the footage SQ has of me at the end saying just make your amv's for the fun of it. Don't make them to appeal to the crowd. Why would I use local band music when I know it isn't popular. Because I have an idea and I think it could work. If it is successful makes it more all the better because you have done something unique and something that was challenging. I make them because I have a great time doing it. It is a way for me to relax and express myself. (I have a feeling if you do that now it would make me think of a german angst amv. lol just kidding Brakus.) You just have to relax and realize that your video willn't always make the finals. You'll have your highs and lows while making amv's. You just have to ride out the high times as much as you can and enjoy it while it last for your video.

Gene Starwind 21122

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm

For once, I almost agree with Gene.

Brakus, do you like making AMVs? Like, seriously, do you enjoy making them?

I have a challenge for you: I dare you to go the next year without submitting any AMVs you make. No Katsucon, no Otakon, no AWA, no AUSA, whatever.

This will accomplish two things:

1. It will determine whether or not you can actually edit for the joy of editing, or if your life is so pathetic that you require the 'validation' that comes from seeing your video on a slightly larger screen with a bunch of people watching.

2. It will get you to shut the hell up on contest threads, because you won't have entered anything. This will make everyone's life better.

If you can't do this, then you might as well just quit now, because you have far greater issues than getting into a stupid contest will solve.

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:46 pm

dokool wrote: This will make everyone's life better.
Don't be so quick to judge others.

If I get either a dollar or a donut out of this then my life will have been made that much the better!

Return to “AMV Contests”