Otakon Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
ZaCloud
Org Profile

Post by ZaCloud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Actually, that rule means for commercials with primarily talking. In this case, there was no talking, just music. Since it was anime set to primarily music, it was in essence an AMV.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Now not to start anything here I just want to see if I making any sense at all. So please bear with me while I try to explain something about what Brakus said.
Brakus wrote:
Anime: Lifestyles of the Animated and Fabulous - Michael Zubrzycki
Anime: Various Song: Various - Various

No disrespect to Michael, but aren't fake commercials disallowed in the AMV contest? Re-read Rule #8:

08. NO NON-AMVs IN THE AMV CONTEST

For the purposes of the Anime Music Video Contest and Screenings, AMVs are considered to be distinct from other short-duration fan productions such as movie trailers, animations, fake commercials, eye catches, and so forth.

Yet another oversight by the AMV contest people.

Hopefully by next year some things will get straightened out.
After checking the Otakon site and reading the rules there I have to say that this is one of the gray areas for "The Lifestyles...". It is a commerical in a sense that it starts out by advertising it as a dvd offer. Then you have them go through each section of whats on the dvd. Then you have the "bonus features". Then there is the "Extras" at the end. Then they list off how you can pay for it. While they used music in each section the music was used as a part of the concept of how to sell the dvd.

Also I recall a video called Real Ninja's which was even more talking than this. It's called an anime music video contest. I don't think real ninjas had a lot of music in it but yet was more of a joke on Naruto and Hamtaro. So its more of a parody video there. However I was at the prescreenings that year and thought nothing of it why because it was entertaining and was done well. That goes the same for the lifestyles amv this year.

While the video was very enjoyable and I did vote for it I never did notice that in the Otakon rules. I feel there needs to be a modification or more clarity of the rules so that way there is no misunderstanding next year.

ZaCloud
Org Profile

Post by ZaCloud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Ahhh, I see. I couldn't remember that vid's format and just glancing at the post, confused it with the Gundam Seed commercial. I'm half asleep. ^_^;; Anyways, I see what you mean, and indeed that should be clarified. While that might narrow the variety we'd get to see of otherwise enjoyable vids, rules are rules, so they should either be followed or changed. Maybe there should be a new category or even contest for those kinda vids. ^_^;; I'd rather gain than lose 'em. But yup, they need to do whatever needs done to keep things organized.

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:08 am

It's My Life - Shi Yuan Kuang
It was submitted as serious and is actually a serious video. There may be some action or upbeat type stuff in it, but it's clearly trying to deliver a message in it's lyrics. The majority of those at the prescreenings seem to agree with that as well or else it would have been recategorized.
Anime: Lifestyles of the Animated and Fabulous
I actually spoke with Michael about this via PM and in person at the convention. I brought up how a lot of people might mistake it for a parody or something.
But in the end staff felt that though it skirted the edges of what can be considered an AMV it indeed met the qualifications to be classified as such (predominantly anime, set predominantly to music). Once again, those at the prescreenings seem to agree with that as well otherwise it would not have been in the contest.
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:30 am

Many good AMVs just don’t fit well in any single category. Some do, but many do not.

I’d rather see good AMVs, like Lifestyles of the Animated and Fabulous, that push the edges of categorization than miss out on these AMVs because they just don’t fit well into any one box.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Anyone know when the unclaimed prizes will be shipped? I'll be moving soon so I'd like to save both parties the hassle of having to go through address changes and mail forwarding. :x
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Anyone know when the unclaimed prizes will be shipped? I'll be moving soon so I'd like to save both parties the hassle of having to go through address changes and mail forwarding. :x
Antonio called me last night and said he would be doing that VERY soon. Expect an email from him asking for your address.
John Westbrook

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Although I first off don't particulary like how Brakus is saying who should've won IN HIS OPINION since it is disrespectful to those who DID win and somewhat degrades their efforts, I DO however agree with him on a few miscategorizations this year.

In fact, this is the second year I felt MANY videos were in the wrong categories and having done the prescreenings both years and talked to folks at the prescreenings, I am wondering why the recommendations made at those very prescreenings are ignored? I specifically remember many of the videos in question being flagged and in giant letters recommendations like "PUT THIS IN *Insert some other category here*" by multiple prescreeners.

Now I can understand creators putting Category X in the submission, but I seem to recall a line in the Otakon rules about how you guys have the overall say and can change things right? Why have that authority and not use it when a fairly large number of people disagree with the categorization of a video and in fact, in some extreme cases, a video that is misclasiffied, wins the category while a video that is debateably more fitting to the category loses. Espeically if it is a comedic video in anything other than comedy.

In any case, I believe this is the second year I'd like to make the recommendation that you guys A) read the comments on the prescreening notes and B) perhaps use discretion and change things as you see fit. You can of course diagree, but I guess it'd be nice to see SOME movement. Especially on the very obvious miscategorizations. Like I said, you guys have the authority to read the advice, make your judgements and then do what you see as best for the contest. Just because the creator says it's something, if you, the coordinators and others see it as another, please change it.

I can honestly see a trend here with comedy and upbeat videos going into other categories and it is only increasing. I feel the success people are seeing with this strategy is only encouraging folks to do it more. I won't go into specifics, but I saw a little of it last year in multiple contests and it had success and now this year, there was even more of it in the contest. In fact, I'd venture to say the majority of categories had at least one video that could've gone somewhere else and a handful outright "WTF IS THIS DOING HERE?" I see a pattern and I don't like it, but you can feel free to disagree.

That's my two cents anyway.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:38 pm

dwchang wrote:I am wondering why the recommendations made at those very prescreenings are ignored?
They aren't ignored. They just are not in the majority.
Everyone was told that if they really thought something should be moved then they should say so. Out of all the reviewers only a handful of people made recommendations for any pre-categorized entries to be moved.
In order to get something moved to a different category than what the submitter sent it in as, the majority of prescreeners would have to make the recommendation, otherwise the creators decision stands (or if the creators choice was so "out there" that it makes no sense at all, like if "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Grrrr" was submitted to Romance... it would get moved by default).
I seem to recall a line in the Otakon rules about how you guys have the overall say and can change things right?
Right.
Why have that authority and not use it when a fairly large number of people disagree with the categorization of a video and in fact, in some extreme cases, a video that is misclassified, wins the category while a video that is debateably more fitting to the category loses.
Here is basically how things break down:
Creator of video > Prescreeners > Contest Staff
How the creator decides to submit the entry takes top priority. After that comes what the prescreeners think something should be. Then lastly is what we (staff) think.
As far as the contest goes, staff have godly ability (we can do anything... really), but most of the time we don't use those powers.... and simply go by what the creators and prescreeners say. There are times we do say "hey wait a second, this is wrong" but that's rare (like if the case I presented above ever happened).
Especially if it is a comedic video in anything other than comedy.
I'm going to take a guess that you are talking about "Peter Cabbit Book report" here (as it's been one of the top controversies this year).
1) It was sent in as Upbeat, 2) Only a hand full of people (between 5-10 max, out of 50+ reviewers) said it should be moved, 3) there were only 4 entries submitted to upbeat this year.
There was no way it was getting moved from upbeat no matter how funny it may have been, not unless a bunch of other upbeat videos magically appeared (luckily we got 2 more after the uncertain videos were categorized and allowed the category to be filled, but just barely).
If there were more Upbeat videos it would have been moved to Comedy most likely.
In any case, I believe this is the second year I'd like to make the recommendation that you guys A) read the comments on the prescreening notes and B) perhaps use discretion and change things as you see fit.
And we did both those things. If we were SO against something being where it was, it would have been moved (except in the case of Upbeat which had it's own issues).
There were a few videos from the overflows that got moved around actually.
I won't go into specifics, but I saw a little of it last year in multiple contests...I see a pattern and I don't like it, but you can feel free to disagree.
See, so it's not just an issue with Otakon's contest, it's other contests as well.
I don't know WHY it is how it is for other cons, but for Otakon everything is where it is for a reason. Ask about any entry and I can tell you exactly why it is where it is (no really, ask).

In the end what it comes down to is how the creators are submitting as that is the basline for EVERYTHING.
John Westbrook

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:01 pm

hackerzc wrote:
dwchang wrote:I am wondering why the recommendations made at those very prescreenings are ignored?
They aren't ignored. They just are not in the majority.
Everyone was told that if they really thought something should be moved then they should say so. Out of all the reviewers only a handful of people made recommendations for any pre-categorized entries to be moved.
In order to get something moved to a different category than what the submitter sent it in as, the majority of prescreeners would have to make the recommendation, otherwise the creators decision stands (or if the creators choice was so "out there" that it makes no sense at all, like if "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Grrrr" was submitted to Romance... it would get moved by default).
Well, one thing that needs to be noted is that not everyone or even a majority will state something. However, if you have several people note the same problem then its probably best to go and reconsider it. That's kinda what Daniel was trying to get at I think.

But the point is really where comedic videos that have action or romance in it goes into those other categories is it ends up winning by default of the audience will always skew comedy. While they might be equally both, it should be considered which it competes best in. That is important in borderline cases I think because yes a lot of cons have dealt with this situation. In fact not one contest corridnator has not seen it i think to some extent. But it should be adjusted so that videos compete fairly, particularly when it is soley based on audience voting.

Return to “AMV Contests”