ACEN Results anybody?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun May 28, 2006 2:13 am

1stAgent wrote: Point is, the odds of getting five good Comedy submissions in a contest are next to nothing. My question is this: why does this category still exist?
I honestly believe if we were to remove comedy, the room would be empty save the few hard-core viewers and the creators themselves.

One year, before I took over, ACEN showed comedy videos early on, after that category finished, lots of people got up and left because they saw what they wanted to see. Quu even said to me, always save comedy for last because it's the part the audience wants to see the most.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun May 28, 2006 2:22 am

Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:sorry i missed all that stuff (the list and the sarcasm). unfortunately, i'm deaf on the forum, so i can't hear it. ^_^' i just felt really hurt, and i didn't get it.
i think that the form just didn't make it, and the post office records say the disk reached its destination the day before the day that it was due. but it's okay, seeing as i would have lost anyway, hands down! all i know is, i shouldn't enter that category again... -_-'
Don't give up on it though, one thing I learned about amvs is that people do get better with the more they make. I felt the same way the first time I entered, I thought "I should just give up on that category" but then I changed my mind. It took me a while to make something that I considered good.

Also, part of the reason why we don't get many entries into the other categories is that creators make what they wanna make and send in the videos that are the best. When acen allowed 2 entries, drama was always about the same size of the other categories combined, and the drama video was their "primary" entrie (I never could understand why they did that too, they said if they had to cut, they'd cut the secondary, but in reality they'd cut the drama videos since there were so many)
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Songbird21
Org Profile

Post by Songbird21 » Sun May 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Can anyone tell me what they thought of Foxman Begins? I wasn't able to attend the contest.
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 am

Songbird21 wrote:Can anyone tell me what they thought of Foxman Begins? I wasn't able to attend the contest.
I thought it was an interesting concept and audience reaction seemed to be favorable. If you were counting on laughs you got them.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Songbird21
Org Profile

Post by Songbird21 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:41 am

ngsilver wrote:I thought it was an interesting concept and audience reaction seemed to be favorable. If you were counting on laughs you got them.
They laughed there too? Good grief. Lol. They laughed at Anime Boston. I had no idea people would consider anything in the trailer funny since it was meant to be serious. *Shrugs* Oh well. As long as they liked it, I won't complain. :D
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

Ezmereth Moriquendi
Org Profile

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Mon May 29, 2006 4:48 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:but it's okay, seeing as i would have lost anyway, hands down! all i know is, i shouldn't enter that category again... -_-'
Don't give up on it though, one thing I learned about amvs is that people do get better with the more they make. I felt the same way the first time I entered, I thought "I should just give up on that category" but then I changed my mind. It took me a while to make something that I considered good.
thanks a lot for the support. the truth is, i'm using the software everyone else hates, windows movie maker, because (#1) i have little to no money/money saving capacity (shop-a-holic), (#2) it does what i want/need it to do, and (#3) i couldn't figure out how to use my 30-day trial of adobe premiere. later i'll try after effects, but until i get an idea that i need something like that for, i probably won't do anything that complex. the reality of the dance category seems to be that it'll make it if it has a lot of well-placed and high-tech-looking effects, and i can't do those yet. i might rethink that, however, after i finish my manual original animation on a video i'm working on some now, and then i'll have something like that for the contest in a couple of years. :D

i didn't really expect to win, but that was my best video with the best viewer reaction so far. all i know is, i loved the convention anyway, and i'm happy i got to see the end of iron editor, and i'm also quite proud of my costume, of which 2 or 3 pictures were taken. last year, few people seemed to recognize me, so this year, i was overjoyed. now i'm going to be satisfied with the results of this contest and get off this thread so i'm no longer off-topic. LOL :D

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed May 31, 2006 6:38 am

Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:thanks a lot for the support. the truth is, i'm using the software everyone else hates, windows movie maker, because (#1) i have little to no money/money saving capacity (shop-a-holic), (#2) it does what i want/need it to do, and (#3) i couldn't figure out how to use my 30-day trial of adobe premiere.
Using better software is no gurantee that you'll make better AMVs. Using better software can help make a good video better because of the added flexibility in output and transitions and effects. BUT, what makes good AMVs is good editing. I've seen some amazing videos come out of WMM.
Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:the reality of the dance category seems to be that it'll make it if it has a lot of well-placed and high-tech-looking effects, and i can't do those yet. i might rethink that, however, after i finish my manual original animation on a video i'm working on some now, and then i'll have something like that for the contest in a couple of years. :D
I think this is a misconception of Dance videos in general. A great many people EXPECT flashy effects, but IMO, an effective dance video can be done with basic cuts, simple transitions, and great scene selection. Take Lostboy's Rhythm Animation. Admittedly, you won't get the frame accuracy needed or some of the transitions used in WMM. And the digital effects used were only for smoothing the transitions from scene to scene. And for a dance video featuring NO effects (at least none that I can spot and since Ileia didn't check the "Effects" box for her video, I assume it's true), there's aielI_Ileia's Life is Life: La la la la la!. Even DDR Project 1: 3rd Mix and DDR Project 2: 2nd Mix have segments where there are little to no effects.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Ezmereth Moriquendi
Org Profile

i feel off-the-subject...

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Willen wrote:
Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:the truth is, i'm using the software everyone else hates, windows movie maker...
Using better software is no gurantee that you'll make better AMVs. Using better software can help make a good video better because of the added flexibility in output and transitions and effects. BUT, what makes good AMVs is good editing. I've seen some amazing videos come out of WMM.
that's a really cool thing to hear. it gives me faith. ^_^
Willen wrote:
Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:the reality of the dance category seems to be that it'll make it if it has a lot of well-placed and high-tech-looking effects, and i can't do those yet.
I think this is a misconception of Dance videos in general. A great many people EXPECT flashy effects, but IMO, an effective dance video can be done with basic cuts, simple transitions, and great scene selection.
along with your examples, i really enjoyed it's tricky to make a music video, which i liked because the scenes flow so well together, and i think it also has few effects. (if i wanted to do something like this, i probably could, with the right footage. about the only thing i couldn't simulate is the exact appearance of the text used.) these videos use a lot of action scenes from many different anime, and my style tends to be more plot-based. in valentine, i used 3 different anime listings, but two of them are based on the same storyline, gravitation, and one is just still images, so i count that as 2 anime as my grand total ever used in a music video! i may never do that again. -_-' but it worked to me because the storylines were similar enough, being fun and romantic.

as an example of what i've tried, like the examples you gave that have lots of different good-looking action scenes, i had a great deal of trouble with myself making an action music video with want to dance?, which used only one anime on 2 dvd's (DEFINITELY not the whole show). so far, i'm totally happy with how both of these turned out for me.

also, i have no idea what i'll do for the next ACEN. i hope to make a comedy video to fill up the gap that was mentioned before, but of course, there's no way i'm using azumanga daioh for something like this! :D

Ezmereth Moriquendi
Org Profile

oops... i forgot

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm

i just remembered the pulsing, overlaid scene of gendo, the image on the tv screen, and the star overlay. i would not be able to recreate these using windows movie maker alone, but i could use adobe image ready, and then i could also get the text used in the video. i would not be able to use image ready so easily with something that had two moving scenes and an overlay, like euphoria. however, with a lot of patience and hard work, it could probably be done.

also, i feel silly about the azumanga daioh comment. i love azumanga daioh! it's just kind of overused. after so many comedy videos using it, i'd like to try something different...

about azumanga die-oh! 2, i really like it. it isn't as funny, like people said, but it's more introspective to the characters, i think. it's very creative and i enjoyed it a lot! ^_^

i also downloaded and commented on all the other winners too. they were all great!

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Post by RolltheStampede » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:14 pm

Make the videos that you wanna make. If you are disapointed in the quality of videos being made then make better ones yourselves but stop bitching about other peoples videos.
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

Ezmereth Moriquendi
Org Profile

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 pm

:shock: um... wow, thanks. um... i know you're probably being sarcastic too, but i can't help but think you sound pretty rude. i wasn't trying to be mean or anything. and maybe you're not. i know i sounded kinda rude, but i did my best. or maybe you're just talking about my compliments. (is a very confused and sensitive little artist)

edit: ok, i just read some other thread where people are being mean to each other, even friends, so... i'm just gonna try to ignore it from now on. sorry you all were the first subject of my upset confusedness... @_<

Return to “AMV Contests”