ACEN Results anybody?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
User avatar
1stAgent
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:17 pm
Location: Wyocena, WI (I'm sure you know where it is...)
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by 1stAgent » Fri May 26, 2006 7:27 pm

godix wrote:Speaking as the winner of the 'They all sucked but I guess we have to call one of these pieces of crap the winner' award I'd just like to give a tip for anyone considering next year.
The saddest part is that I had to look at your profile to see which category you meant.

The problem with the Theme category was that the Theme absolutely sucked. People hear Movies/Stolen Scenes and immediately think Trailers. Even if last year's Broadway theme didn't get many submissions, at least we know there are good videos out there to Broadway musicals. Anything Movie related is just inviting the crap.

I'll oblige dokidoki and admit that I'm probably stating the obvious here (although he probably represents one of the few exceptions): The fundamental problem with Comedy videos is that they're either AMV Hell Jr- a poorly organized mish-mash of punchlines, or a single funny concept stretched out over four minutes. My Comedy submission last year would be guilty of the latter if it was any longer than 2.5 minutes. Now, even as recently as Otakon '04, I remember some good comedy entries (and I remember being pissed that AMV Hell 1 beat them), and even ACen '05 had a couple enjoyable entries. But these days, how many editors can consistently produce comedy videos that sustain the laughs for four minutes? I'll put the over/under at three... then take the under.

Point is, the odds of getting five good Comedy submissions in a contest are next to nothing. My question is this: why does this category still exist?

The five traditional categories create a big, gaping hole in the typical convention format. Romance and Action are self-explanatory and you know when a video fits there. Drama is reserved for pure angst. Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year. Videos that are simply out to be whimsical and entertaining, without being LOL funny, are totally lost in the mix. My Kino's Journey video was totally out of place in Drama this year, but I submitted it there because it wasn't at all meant to generate laughs, used action only as a plot point, and I didn't dare submit it to Upbeat because I knew something like that stupid Dual video would win. There are a lot of decent videos that simply try to make people smile rather than laugh or cry. The Org has categories like Fun and Character Profile, and I really think conventions should start to follow suit instead of simply forfeiting awards to half-assed "comedies."
Watch My Videos! I assure you they don't suck!

Muska the Dreamer- Winner, No Brand Con 2005
Forget Tomorrow- Finalist, Anime Central 2006

User avatar
Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:38 am
Status: Getting to the roof!
Location: Colorado
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Fri May 26, 2006 8:28 pm

1stAgent wrote:Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year.
Awwww that's harsh...I didn't even use after effects in that vid...

*is crushed*

:O

User avatar
Brad
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2000 9:32 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri May 26, 2006 9:41 pm

kisanzi wrote:
1stAgent wrote:Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year.
Awwww that's harsh...I didn't even use after effects in that vid...

*is crushed*

:O
Shut up kiSANZI. Your video had effects, therefore you obviously used After Effects, thus making your video STUPID. You big stupid head. Go make more stupid videos you stupid head!............... Head!!!
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

User avatar
1stAgent
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:17 pm
Location: Wyocena, WI (I'm sure you know where it is...)
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by 1stAgent » Fri May 26, 2006 9:59 pm

kisanzi wrote:
1stAgent wrote:Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year.
Awwww that's harsh...I didn't even use after effects in that vid...

*is crushed*

:O
Sorry. That was unfair. I downloaded the video and caught a few things that I missed before. I left you an op explaining my thoughts in more detail.
Watch My Videos! I assure you they don't suck!

Muska the Dreamer- Winner, No Brand Con 2005
Forget Tomorrow- Finalist, Anime Central 2006

User avatar
Brad
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2000 9:32 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri May 26, 2006 10:31 pm

1stAgent wrote:
kisanzi wrote:
1stAgent wrote:Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year.
Awwww that's harsh...I didn't even use after effects in that vid...

*is crushed*

:O
Sorry. That was unfair. I downloaded the video and caught a few things that I missed before. I left you an op explaining my thoughts in more detail.
Did you let him know how stupid it was? And how stupid he was for making it? Because you should let him know again.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

User avatar
Ezmereth Moriquendi
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:24 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Fri May 26, 2006 11:49 pm

please don't flame the competitors... :(
btw, i also would like a list of videos that played.
kisanzi, your video was good. i don't know how you made it. if you say you didn't use after effects, i guess i believe you. ^_^' you beat me, and your video was better than mine. i didn't get to see the contest, so i don't know if mine played. but, if you're curious and it was in fact screened, my entry was "Valentine" (http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=109319).

User avatar
outlawed
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:03 pm
Location: Lost
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sat May 27, 2006 6:56 am

Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:btw, i also would like a list of videos that played.
I posted the entry data on may 10th (back on page 2).

Here is the link again for quick access.
http://mysite.verizon.net/outlawedprod/ ... public.htm

There is no record of you submitting to us. There are two possibilities:
1) I did not receive it
2) Your entry was #36 (did not supply a submission form)

User avatar
outlawed
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:03 pm
Location: Lost
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sat May 27, 2006 7:59 am

1stAgent wrote:Anything Movie related is just inviting the crap.
I beg to differ. I have a seen a good number of good movie related AMV work. This category also did not have to use movies. I will agree that from the staff perspective I think we could have done a better job of explaining this year's theme in our documentation.
1stAgent wrote:My question is this: why does this category still exist?
Most conventions are not AMV creator centric. The comedy category exists to entertain the audience. The AMV contest screenings at conventions exist to entertain the audience not to the satisfy the creators. The reality is the audience does not care about 99% of the drama entries shown especially if they are trying to make some "artistic statement." The people just want to be entertained. Creators give a little and the audience gives a little. The end result is we meet both ways. If folks feel so strongly about weak comedy entries my advice to you is do something about it. That is exactly why the comedy category isn't removed. Eventually people will get back on the ball.
1stAgent wrote: The five traditional categories create a big, gaping hole in the typical convention format. Romance and Action are self-explanatory and you know when a video fits there.
It's interesting actually how Romance is now considered a traditional category. It used to be just drama, action, comedy. A lot of contests actually just used to be audience vote and the top 3 were given awards; no categorization at all.
1stAgent wrote: Drama is reserved for pure angst.
The reason a lot of boring drama videos are made is because people approach with this mindset.
1stAgent wrote: Dance/Upbeat is reserved for an After Effects parade like that stupid Dual video that won it this year.
This type of reponse is pretty much taken as jealousy especially because of the manner you present it in. From my personal experiences as a competitor I date from a slightly different time so if this thread would have some creators at each other's throats because of who won what it wouldn't be something that would phase me. This is obviously not at that level. One common difference between those few years ago and today is that people used to talk smack and bust people's chops over certain videos winning back then a lot (often this seemed a result due to audience based award systems). In those cases the the person making the comments was often a perrenial winner and would point out weaknesses in a video (sometimes tear it to pieces which you can imagine can really be rough to the person who won especially if they dont' have a thick skin). My advice is that if you are going to cite a video as an example of being a problem then you need to objectively break it down. Ask yourself if this video you dislike is nothing but some random matting and transparency work or if this style of video is just unappealing to you personally.
1stAgent wrote: My Kino's Journey video was totally out of place in Drama this year, but I submitted it there because it wasn't at all meant to generate laughs, used action only as a plot point, and I didn't dare submit it to Upbeat because I knew something like that stupid Dual video would win.
So in your own opinion you miscategorized it in the hopes it would have a better chance of winning? Does this not prove that the categories are not necessarily cut and dry? Give me a distinct category it falls into that we did not offer. I'm not sure where I would put it other than drama. It's interesting you would consider upbeat for it when you put a scene of someone being stabbed with a knife.
1stAgent wrote: There are a lot of decent videos that simply try to make people smile rather than laugh or cry. The Org has categories like Fun and Character Profile, and I really think conventions should start to follow suit instead of simply forfeiting awards to half-assed "comedies."
I would like to offer more diverse options to all the creators but fun is far too vague and is a pretty weak qualitative manner of categorizing videos. Example: I made a hentai video that was fun, I made a comedy video that was fun, I made a trance video that was fun, I made an action video that was fun, I made a heartwarming drama video that was fun to watch. It's a superset qualifier as opposed to a subset.

Character profile is something I have considered as an additional category but I am hesitant because a lot of people do a poor job with this format and the entertainment value to the audience can be hit or miss. We usually end up with them in action or drama anyway so as far as a submissions aspect it's not something that necessarily hurts us. Would it provide creators with another award category? Yes. Is there a better one we could add? I'm working on it.

User avatar
Brad
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2000 9:32 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat May 27, 2006 1:16 pm

Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:please don't flame the competitors... :(
Just to make everything clear, I was sarcastically mocking 1stAgent's comment towards Kisanzi since, his video was in fact very good and it seemed like his reasoning for calling it "stupid" was in fact..... stupid.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

User avatar
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:22 pm
Status: Hapily Married to Ruu-chan
Location: Detroit area
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sat May 27, 2006 1:25 pm

AtomX wrote:Just to make everything clear, I was sarcastically mocking 1stAgent's comment towards Kisanzi since, his video was in fact very good and it seemed like his reasoning for calling it "stupid" was in fact..... stupid.
was I one of the few that picked up on that..?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Dragonx21
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

ACEN AMV

Post by Dragonx21 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm looking for that movie of Akira... I can't find it anywhere if some1 could tell me what the name is or where i can find it i'd be greatful.

User avatar
Ezmereth Moriquendi
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:24 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Ezmereth Moriquendi » Sat May 27, 2006 8:59 pm

sorry i missed all that stuff (the list and the sarcasm). unfortunately, i'm deaf on the forum, so i can't hear it. ^_^' i just felt really hurt, and i didn't get it.
i think that the form just didn't make it, and the post office records say the disk reached its destination the day before the day that it was due. but it's okay, seeing as i would have lost anyway, hands down! all i know is, i shouldn't enter that category again... -_-'

User avatar
SailorDeath
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2000 4:39 pm
Location: Northwest Indiana
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun May 28, 2006 2:04 am

Brakus wrote:
AtomX wrote: I guess with everybody going the emo route and sending in Drama videos, the art of making the comedy video is getting lost.....
I really hope that's not the case. When I make a comedy, I almost always try and concentrate on stuff that would make people laugh. With my videos it's either hit or miss (mostly miss). But I love making a video that makes the audience bust out laughing. I found that it was a lot more satisfying to make a comedy video because I always got a better reaction out of them. I don't recall any of my drama amv's ever evoking a response from the audience till the clapping when it's over*. Also, when I make a comedy video I really feel like I'm being more creative. But most of my "comedies" sucked. especially since my skills with effects are just terrible.

For instance when I made the army of darkness trailer I accomplished the effect making a split screen and superimposing vash the stampede (covering up bruce campbell) on the "Drop the Oldsmobile" bit. And I did it all with flash since that was the only program I had that was capable of letting me import a scene (in bmp sequence), then manipulating the graphics, then exporting an AVI. But I got lucky as it was something that appealed to everyone that voted on it which is why it won. I'm sure by today's standards it'd have lost badly.

Ironically the Overfiend video I submitted to AWA 2004 used the same type of effects, all done in flash. But again people liked the concept and thought it was funny.

An example of a miss is a video I made for Anime Central 1999, which I have nuked from existance because I hated it so much. The video was "Now you're a man." with music by DVDA and the series I used was Mahou Tsukai Tai (magic user's club). I sent it into Acen, and I remember it getting Booed by the audience when it was over.

Sailor Death

*note to self they're just humoring me.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

User avatar
SailorDeath
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2000 4:39 pm
Location: Northwest Indiana
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun May 28, 2006 2:07 am

godix wrote: Besides, the more comedy/theme/upbeat there is the less drama/action there is shown. After two hours of angst and flashing I could do with a lot less drama/action.
I remember my first year running it. I wanted to show everything and we had a 3.5 hour contest. 2hours of which were drama. At the time we didn't mix the categories up, and people were starting to get bored after sitting through them all.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

User avatar
mexicanjunior
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:33 pm
Status: It's a process...
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun May 28, 2006 2:11 am

AtomX wrote:
Ezmereth Moriquendi wrote:please don't flame the competitors... :(
Just to make everything clear, I was sarcastically mocking 1stAgent's comment towards Kisanzi since, his video was in fact very good and it seemed like his reasoning for calling it "stupid" was in fact..... stupid.
No way dude, you totally hate that guy...

Locked

Return to “AMV Contests”