ACEN Results anybody?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Dragonx21
Org Profile

ACEN

Post by Dragonx21 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 pm

Where can i find the music video of akira that they showed at the end it won the... something. tell me if you know.
I am GOD!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 pm

The only Akira video I remember seeing at all was mine, but it didn't win anything.

Link: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=116301
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Tue May 23, 2006 11:11 am

Yup, that was the only Akira AMV. It was not best action but it is winner quality so go download it Dragonx21 :)

Flame-X
Org Profile

Post by Flame-X » Tue May 23, 2006 11:24 am

lol i'll never sit on the front in the amv contest ever again. X_X

ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Clamp-X wrote:lol i'll never sit on the front in the amv contest ever again. X_X
the bass too much to handle? ^^
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flame-X
Org Profile

Post by Flame-X » Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 pm

ngsilver wrote:
Clamp-X wrote:lol i'll never sit on the front in the amv contest ever again. X_X
the bass too much to handle? ^^
ya, mainly cuz my ears are sensetive to high volume. but seeing my vid as the first one being shown shook me, an addtional reason why i should sit in the back ^o^

amvwizard
Org Profile

Post by amvwizard » Tue May 23, 2006 2:34 pm

kisanzi wrote:Well...I can't give a finalist list but here are the winners:

Best Romantic: And So It Begins... by Willen

Best Drama: Weapons with Silver Wings by Dirk Stabben

Best Action: The Wonders at Your Feet by Sir_Lagsalot

Best Upbeat/Dance: Ephemeral Reality by Kisanzi

Best Comedy: Azumanga DIE-OH 2 by Roll the Stampede

Best of Show: The Wedding Rings by Suberunker

Congrats to all the winners and it was a fun contest to watch!
people said they didn't actually like Die-oh 2 but i really did like it .

Flame-X
Org Profile

Post by Flame-X » Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm

Azumanga DIE-OH 2 failed to make me laugh, the first one was way better in my opinion. =\

amvwizard
Org Profile

Post by amvwizard » Tue May 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Clamp-X wrote:Azumanga DIE-OH 2 failed to make me laugh, the first one was way better in my opinion. =\

well it wasn't so much that i liked it because it was funny (by the way it wasn't) it was because it had a PSP thingy in it... lol :D :D i guess thats a stupid reason lol

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue May 23, 2006 10:26 pm

It just goes to show the quantity and quality of the comedy entries at ACen (there were a total of 5 comedy videos, one of them won Best of Show, which essentially meant it was down to 4 videos eligible for the award, and the other 3 were just plain not good at all).
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Wed May 24, 2006 8:07 pm

AtomX wrote:It just goes to show the quantity and quality of the comedy entries at ACen (there were a total of 5 comedy videos, one of them won Best of Show, which essentially meant it was down to 4 videos eligible for the award, and the other 3 were just plain not good at all).
Heh, I'll admit my ACen entry ("Watch Out It's Desert Punk") in comedy was sent in simply so I could have a new entry for ACen. It obviously wasn't going win anything, despite only having 5 entries in the category. I was getting tired of sending "I Am Fullmetal" to every single convention's AMV contest. My video is more of an action video with some comedy thrown in.

I guess with everybody going the emo route and sending in Drama videos, the art of making the comedy video is getting lost.....
~BRAKUS~
Anime Weekend Atlanta VAT Programming Director
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed May 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Brakus wrote:I guess with everybody going the emo route and sending in Drama videos, the art of making the comedy video is getting lost.....
Well, one could say that comming up with a comedy idea, especially with a good one, can be the hardest idea to come up with.

Yet overall comedy yeilds more attention then drama or action videos. But that's partially due to the fact that comedy videos are few in comparison to other categories.

I was sad to see not one single comedy video submitted to Colossal... comedy videos always seem to lighten the mood, especially in a drama heavy contest.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

1stAgent
Org Profile

Post by 1stAgent » Wed May 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Brakus wrote:I guess with everybody going the emo route and sending in Drama videos, the art of making the comedy video is getting lost.....
Hey, I submitted a Comedy last year, and my Drama this year may have been Simple Plan, but at least it was upbeat Simple Plan. :P

Unfortunately, I am with you in thinking comedy videos are going under, at least the ones that stick to one song. In my ACen convention recap, I too declared the art of the traditional Comedy AMV dead.

Not to fault AMV Hell, since #3 was sheer brilliance, but it has changed the way we laugh at AMVs. Editors now no longer consider it feasible to sustain those kind of laughs throughout the full length of a song. So more and more simply combine several punchlines into one video. In the end, it cheapens the whole category, especially when not all of the punchlines are funny, as with DIE-oh 2.
Watch My Videos! I assure you they don't suck!

Muska the Dreamer- Winner, No Brand Con 2005
Forget Tomorrow- Finalist, Anime Central 2006

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed May 24, 2006 11:37 pm

1stAgent wrote:Unfortunately, I am with you in thinking comedy videos are going under,
I've been saying that for years.
at least the ones that stick to one song. In my ACen convention recap, I too declared the art of the traditional Comedy AMV dead.
Piffle.
In the end, it cheapens the whole category, especially when not all of the punchlines are funny, as with DIE-oh 2.
Considering that it's listed on the org with five categories, I think one could say that it's not "purely" a comedy video, but of course you're limited to one category when you send it to a con.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri May 26, 2006 12:51 pm

Speaking as the winner of the 'They all sucked but I guess we have to call one of these pieces of crap the winner' award I'd just like to give a tip for anyone considering next year. Submit to comedy, theme, or upbeat. All three catagories are pathetically underrepresented to the point that the con will probably show damned near anything in them no matter how horrible it is. Which means the competition is nearly non-existant and chances are pretty decent that you'll win a trophy, some free anime, and an ego boost that last for a couple minutes until you realize your only competition was so forgetable you can't remember their videos even though you just say the entire contest the previous day.

Besides, the more comedy/theme/upbeat there is the less drama/action there is shown. After two hours of angst and flashing I could do with a lot less drama/action.

Return to “AMV Contests”