Otakon AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 16, 2006 3:30 pm

anneke wrote:If you don't like the deadline, don't enter. It's as simple as that. You know what the deadline is, you plan accordingly, or you don't enter.
I don't know if you read my post, but that's exactly what I was saying -_-;;

It's trivial and simple logic, if more and more creators continue to not submit to Otakon due to the deadline, the quality of the contest will continue to degrade. I for one enjoy Otakon's contest the most and thus am making a concerted effort to try and improve a growing problem I see. It's probably the only contest and convention I'll be going to/submitting to and thus I would like to see high quality work :).

Bully? That's funny considering I have no intention of finishing my entry and some of your antics I have heard of. I suppose I should stop there though.
feqqr wrote:Had people posted about the conflict when it was announced or when their school schedule told them finals would be set, we would have been more likely to have considered it. Of course, Antonio is head, and if he wants to say otherwise or disagrees with my throughs, please defer to him.
Alright please don't take this as a joke or me being sarcastic, but I think I speak for 90% of the college, high school and graduate students when I say:

"We will have a conflict during the Otakon deadline if it is in early/mid-May. Every year. We have finals, projects and research that is more important and thus will not be able to edit.

The idea of editing that far in advance is also not an option for many of us and even a smaller minority really ARE that busy the entire year (just as you are with your personal life).

Please take the time to consider this next year and the year after..."

Now does that mean I get an extension indefinitely for the next few years of my Ph.D? :P

As I've said before (and I certainly can't argue that people WILL get their entries in), year after year, the same problems arise with the deadline and the time of year it lands. Look at the statistical consistency and the most named problem for the contest. *To me* (maybe not you), that says to me that maybe it's time to perhaps rethink this and take a different approach to the problem.
hackerzc wrote:It's also because Otakon is the largest AMV contest in the US if you are counting number of submitters (yes AX has had more videos, but they allow multiple submissions per person).
Actually if you wanna get technical, I'd say AWA Expo is the largest "contest" having far more entries, and they have a "prescreening" beforehand and while not havinga deadline that is 3 months prior to the convention.

Now I will of course agree that the two contests are not the same (they don't do multiple prescreenings throughout the summer), but at the same time as I've said earlier, Otakon is the ONLY Contest I know of that has a deadline THAT far in advance.

To be frank, I have no real solution. I realize it's to plan and prepare for things and by moving the deadline, you in turn create a harsher deadline for the staffers. It's a Catch-22. You can't win. At the same time, given the consistency of the problem, the least we can do is discuss it and try to come up with a better solution than the current one.
AtomX wrote:It's kind of unbelievable how we seem to go through this same dramatic malarchy every year with this contest. Kind of makes me glad I didn't end up submitting.
Nah wasn't the dramatic malarchy (which no doubt will happen later) about the actual finalists? As it is every year?

And yeah I'm kinda glad too since it means people won't yell at me for ya know...getting in. How dare I? :(
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue May 16, 2006 3:36 pm

dwchang wrote:
AtomX wrote:It's kind of unbelievable how we seem to go through this same dramatic malarchy every year with this contest. Kind of makes me glad I didn't end up submitting.
Nah wasn't the dramatic malarchy (which no doubt will happen later) about the actual finalists? As it is every year?
I didn't mean it's always about this specific issue, I mean there's always some kind of unnecesarry drama and tension leading up to this contest every year. You dont see that in hardly any other contest anywhere.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Tue May 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Why is it that people are always trying to use 'finals' or 'midterms' as an excuse for getting extensions.

The thing is that you have a variety of people who attend different colleges, who have different finals and midterm schedules. There are schools on the Simester, Trimester and Quarter systems. Just because your finals or midterms or whatever fall during the deadline, does not mean everyone's do or even the majority do.

There are lots of creators who have full time jobs vs college. You don't see them complaining because they had a big project due at work that came up at the same time as the contest deadline.

If problems arise and you can't meet the deadline due to your own Real Life and Scheduling problems, that's your fault not the conventions. Do not try to make the convention change to suit you. Accept that other things got in the way and enter a different contest.

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Two words to everyone: simmer down.

I think those of you who make AMVs should understand that this is something we do for fun. Some videos come out as an emotional release, whereas others are just things that help us relax. Either way, we should be doing this for enjoyment. When things like this happen, with tempers flaring and sarcastic posts flying at one another, maybe you should re-evaluate why you're editing in the first place. Missing a deadline, especially when you're going to be at the convention and were really hoping to see it on the big screen, can most definately be a let-down. Believe me, I know. But you have to respect the amazing work that people who were able to meet this deadline created, and simply enjoy it and realize that future chances will come.

If AMVs are making you this angry and frustrated that it comes down to belittling people, then maybe you should step back from the scene for a while and just let things be. AMVs are not our lives, folks, they're just a part of it: big for some, small for others.

feqqr
Org Profile

Post by feqqr » Tue May 16, 2006 5:33 pm

[quote="dwchang"][quote="anneke"]
Alright please don't take this as a joke or me being sarcastic, but I think I speak for 90% of the college, high school and graduate students when I say:

[i]"We will have a conflict during the Otakon deadline if it is in early/mid-May. Every year. We have finals, projects and research that is more important and thus will not be able to edit.

The idea of editing that far in advance is also not an option for many of us and even a smaller minority really ARE that busy the entire year (just as you are with your personal life).

Please take the time to consider this next year and the year after..."[/i]

Now does that mean I get an extension indefinitely for the next few years of my Ph.D? :P
[/quote]

I would almost want to grant it to you just because of the smile the request put on my face after a hard day at the office.

While it will NOT give you an extension indefinately, I will consider it the first formal submission to the request for suggestions and proposals that Antonio asked about. I am asking, as both a personal and professional favor to remind us about this in the POST con timeframe. That is when we start working on the next year, and calculating deadlines and what not. What would also be helpful is a solid suggestion of when the deadline would need to be in order to avoid this problem. We run into the issue of the dates of the con causing problems - we can't push back to far, or the contest won't be ready.

Jason
AMV Assistant 2005-2006
LARP GM 2001-2006

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Fungie½ wrote:Two words to everyone: simmer down.

I think those of you who make AMVs should understand that this is something we do for fun. Some videos come out as an emotional release, whereas others are just things that help us relax. Either way, we should be doing this for enjoyment. When things like this happen, with tempers flaring and sarcastic posts flying at one another, maybe you should re-evaluate why you're editing in the first place. Missing a deadline, especially when you're going to be at the convention and were really hoping to see it on the big screen, can most definately be a let-down. Believe me, I know. But you have to respect the amazing work that people who were able to meet this deadline created, and simply enjoy it and realize that future chances will come.

If AMVs are making you this angry and frustrated that it comes down to belittling people, then maybe you should step back from the scene for a while and just let things be. AMVs are not our lives, folks, they're just a part of it: big for some, small for others.
I have to agree with Fungie here. I mean if you want to see one of your works at Otakon and you did not get your video finished send in your most recent one if it is eligible. Unfortuanetly for dwchang his most recent was last years Otakon amv, but for everybody else there has to a video that you created and you liked that still fit the Otakon rules. If I did not complete my most recent I would have sent in Outlaws Don't Stop (Remake) Why? Its a video I put work into and I feel that it deserves to be played at any convention it can be played at. I made the video for myself and for other people to enjoy it.

@Fungie1/2 "simmer down" I haven't heard that expression for a while. lol.

Gene Starwind 21122

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed May 17, 2006 2:54 pm

feqqr wrote:
dwchang wrote: Alright please don't take this as a joke or me being sarcastic, but I think I speak for 90% of the college, high school and graduate students when I say:

"We will have a conflict during the Otakon deadline if it is in early/mid-May. Every year. We have finals, projects and research that is more important and thus will not be able to edit.

Please take the time to consider this next year and the year after..."

I would almost want to grant it to you just because of the smile the request put on my face after a hard day at the office.

While it will NOT give you an extension indefinately, I will consider it the first formal submission to the request for suggestions and proposals that Antonio asked about. I am asking, as both a personal and professional favor to remind us about this in the POST con timeframe. That is when we start working on the next year, and calculating deadlines and what not. What would also be helpful is a solid suggestion of when the deadline would need to be in order to avoid this problem. We run into the issue of the dates of the con causing problems - we can't push back to far, or the contest won't be ready.

Jason
AMV Assistant 2005-2006
LARP GM 2001-2006
This is glad to know. That's the main thing that many of us want. For there to *at least* be some form of discussion since it is a consistent problem and it's good to know you're at least listening.

I still plan on editing a few particular videos for Otakon (in the future) so I will certainly keep this in mind and you will almost certainly (even though I'd hope not) receive such a request from me :P.

I'll at least try to make it a good video, but no promises ;)
AtomX wrote:
dwchang wrote:
I didn't mean it's always about this specific issue, I mean there's always some kind of unnecesarry drama and tension leading up to this contest every year. You dont see that in hardly any other contest anywhere.
I suppose with the large amount of people who submit and the general ass-hattery that is the internet, it's no surprise.

At the same time, like you, I look forward to enjoying my first Otakon with no worries or being nervous (that sinking feeling in your stomatch right when the title card comes up is...wow). It's amazing that even after being in Otakon a few years and thinking you'd have gotten use dto it, you still get insanely nervous when watching your own video with that many people :P.

BTW we need to plan this trip out Mr. Brad.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

MousePotato
Boochsack whore
Org Profile

Post by MousePotato » Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 pm

dwchang! we need to hang out at otakon this year. Brad's buying.

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Wed May 17, 2006 6:09 pm

dwchang wrote:At the same time, like you, I look forward to enjoying my first Otakon with no worries or being nervous (that sinking feeling in your stomatch right when the title card comes up is...wow). It's amazing that even after being in Otakon a few years and thinking you'd have gotten use dto it, you still get insanely nervous when watching your own video with that many people :P.
Amen to that, br'er. It'll be nice to watch the AMV contest without feeling like I want to vomit re:nervousness.

Of course, I have an entirely different reason to be nervous about Otakon this year...

Chris
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

Shinodude
emodude
Org Profile

Post by Shinodude » Wed May 17, 2006 6:35 pm

well deadline is ending after today it seems? you get yours in gene?

Return to “AMV Contests”