NekoCon AMV Results?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Fungie½
Org Profile

NekoCon AMV Results?

Post by Fungie½ » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:44 pm

Does anyone know the NekoCon AMV results?

Pen^2
Org Profile

Post by Pen^2 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:55 pm

apparently not o_o;

...man i wish they'd hurry up and update their website >_<

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Post by Tom the Fish » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:20 am

I'm pretty sure the Here and There, Now and Then one won. Which is good because it had great editing. But, yeah, I wish they'd update as well. It would be nice if either video I or my wife did at least placed.

Tom

Senta
Org Profile

Post by Senta » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:03 pm

Tom the Fish wrote:I'm pretty sure the Here and There, Now and Then one won. Which is good because it had great editing. But, yeah, I wish they'd update as well. It would be nice if either video I or my wife did at least placed.

Tom
I don't think there was a "Here and There, Now and Then" video. You may be confusing it with the Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstance) video which I heard was the winner. However, the contest coordinator still hasn't sent out an email with the results to the entrants.

Overall, the contest was a complete waste. It didn't look like the people who put it together knew what they were doing. Also, I was told by a con staffer that the contest coordinators were still working on it at 4am Friday. The first showing was cancelled on Friday, but I hadn't heard why.

The major problem was that the interlacing could be seen on all the videos. So any video with lots of action or movement looked like crap. Also, because of bad conversions or something, the videos were choppy and out of synch. So videos with beat matching didn't work and lip synching looked like junk.

The audio quality was also quite bad for many of the videos. The audio in my friend's video sounded like it had farting sounds added in and I know those weren't there before.

A few videos such as the Kare Kano video with low action or perhaps progressive footage were spared from the mangling. Though the creator of that video told me that it was off synch.

I feel that the contest coordinator owes everyone who entered and everyone who watched the contest an apology. But given how unprofessional the contest was, I won't hold my breath.

Senta (Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever ranted)

anneke
Org Profile

wow

Post by anneke » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:17 pm

Someone PM me the coordinator's E-mail address. I want to see about getting them onto the AMV Coordinator's Mailing list. (A list set up for people who run AMV contest, so they can get help and avoid problems like this in the future.)

Anneke

SiberWolf
Org Profile

Post by SiberWolf » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:10 pm

As for the contest this year... well it was painful. Mistiming was common, video quality was horrid. A good VCR with a crappy tape, SLP mode, and an All-In-Wonder card in inexperienced hands are to blame. If I had known what was happening, I personally would have put the tape together. But I was uninformed until Saturday morning. Even the sound levels weren't normalized. The one showing which I was in the room for (the main showing on Saturday afternoon), I had to sit there constantly adjusting sound levels on the mixing board just to make some videos audible.

Okay, enough ranting from me. I'm embarassed to have even been associated with the showing of that contest. And even though we were not responsible for putting the tape together, I'll still apologize anyway on behalf of the tech crew.

On a good note, a new coordinator has already been selected for next year. Apparently Brad DeMoss offered to do it, but was turned down because someone had already been chosen. As soon as I can I'll find out their email and get it to you, Anneke.

Return to “AMV Contests”