Otakon 2005 Finalists (unofficial)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Otakon 2005 Finalists (unofficial)

Post by ANTDrakko » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:22 am

Thought I'de post this "unofficial list" from the Yahoo Groups, posted by John Westbrook:

==============================

Romantic:
SnhKnives
AuN Studios
Daniel Chang
Bryan M.S. Minnix
Adam Porrovecchio

Serious:
Janzki
Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie & Meri Cantoni
Dan Persons
Floyed Russell
Kusoyaro Productions

Action:
Iconoclast Studios
Bishounen Stalker
.:Decoy:.
Senta Miller
Addiction Music Videos (AMV 4000)

Upbeat:
Ashyukun
VicBond007
JMI Productions
Cyanna
Greasy Weasel Productions

Comedy:
Suberunker Studeosh / Nanaca & Crash Productions
Michael Zubrzycki
rogueintellectproductions
Doki Doki Productions
Mr. Pilkington

==============================

Congrats to all of the finalists!

Though, I'm terribly suprised that my video didn't make it to the finals this year. Not that I think its THAT good, though, I expect all the videos in the "serious" category to be *very* good :wink:

~Seen

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2005 Finalists

Post by Scintilla » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:55 am

ANTDrakko wrote:Upbeat:
Ashyukun
VicBond007
JMI Productions
Cyanna
*stares* :shock:

<b>A-QUI-LINE!
A-QUI-LINE!
A-QUI-LINE!</b>

In other news, I wonder when the last year we had exactly five videos in each category was...?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:25 am

Argh, I didn't make it.... :cry:

.... oh wait, I didn't enter. :P

Looks like a good contest, best of luck to everyone!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Brakus
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2005 Finalists

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:39 am

Scintilla wrote:
ANTDrakko wrote:Upbeat:
Ashyukun
VicBond007
JMI Productions
Cyanna
*stares* :shock:

<b>A-QUI-LINE!
A-QUI-LINE!
A-QUI-LINE!</b>

In other news, I wonder when the last year we had exactly five videos in each category was...?
Was it YOUR "Waka Laka" video or Cyanna's "F L C AL" video that made the list? I was surprised when I saw Cyanna's name and thought to myself, "Hey, where's Waka Laka by Scintilla?"

My video (entered in the Drama-Serious category) didn't make the finalists' list either. Then again, it's no biggie. I treat Otakon's AMV contest like an afterthought; I had AWA in my sights after ACen finished up. And I've entered it in other contests coming up in the next few weeks.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:43 am

Castor Troy wrote:Argh, I didn't make it.... :cry:

.... oh wait, I didn't enter. :P

Looks like a good contest, best of luck to everyone!
Hahaha... :lol: I was about to say the same thing (curse deadlines and my inability to follow them :P).

Yeah, good luck anyway to everyone :D

It's looking like a good competition.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:48 am

I'm QUITE surprised to see neither of the Fremmerlid Sisters getting into the finals. Having participated in the pre-screenings, in my opinion, they had top-notch videos in both the drama and action categories. Also this excellent drama video.

Also any reason only 5 videos in each category? I seem to recall the previous years having at least 6 per (and some times 7). It's my personal opinions, but there were some GREAT vids that didn't get in and I guess it'd be nice to see a 6th space added (like in the past) and some of them getting in ;).

*looks at the first paragraph for vids that should be in :P*

Regardless, congrats to the finalists! If you're going to Otakon, the showing itself is an award in itself ;). 5,000 people cheering is certainly something else ;).

...totally wishes they'd have posted it without categories so I could continuing lying that I didn't enter romance >_>
Last edited by dwchang on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:21 am

dwchang wrote: I'm QUITE surprised to see neither of the Fremmerlid Sisters getting into the finals. Having participated in the pre-screenings, in my opinion, they had top-notch videos in both the drama and action categories.
Maybe you'll get lucky and the Otakon AMV coordinators will announce that they forgot a few finalists. Or that some names were mixed up.

Happened last year, anyway.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:04 am

I'm not to upset about Pain of War not making the finals. I knew it was on the border. However I am disappointed that Waka Laka, and Phenomenon didn't make the finals. WTF? These top notch videos that should and in my personal opinion win the con.

This is the most messed up list I've seen because serval other great videos that should have been in there and I'm not talking about my video.

But anyway congrats to those that did make it.

Gene Starwind 21122

ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Post by ANTDrakko » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:26 am

genestarwind21122 wrote:I'm not to upset about Pain of War not making the finals. I knew it was on the border. However I am disappointed that Waka Laka, and Phenomenon didn't make the finals. WTF? These top notch videos that should and in my personal opinion win the con.

This is the most messed up list I've seen because serval other great videos that should have been in there and I'm not talking about my video.

But anyway congrats to those that did make it.

Gene Starwind 21122
Meh, I don't think this list of finalists are "messed up", I'm sure the videos that made are are very very excellent. Heck, even better, the AMV Contest this year should be amazing for the audience.

Though I do share your concern about the actual scores of some videos.

::waits for Antonio's official response::

~Seen

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:53 am

Remember, a video submitted to Otakon doesn't need to be good to make the finalist list (or, for that matter, to win awards) - it just needs to be popular.

With the steady decline in number of people who know what they're doing attending pre-screenings to vote, it's not surprising that more and more crap gets into the finals - Hells, crappy videos have even won at Otakon, simply because they catered to the lowest common denominator, and the audience as a whole always falls for the lowest common denominator, even if such a video isn't actually any good.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Return to “AMV Contests”