Anime Expo AMV Competition Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
OtakuOutpost
Org Profile

Post by OtakuOutpost » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:32 pm

I think I'm going to add a little to this...

Someone above mentioned that they didn't understand my video. Maybe I can explain it for you.

The chorus is a good place to start. The lyrics of the song are...

"I will be watching over you
I am gonna help to see it through
I will protect you in the night
I am smiling next to you in silent lucidity"

Since you've seen the series you should know that Tomoyo-chan films Sakura whenever she can. This is interpreted as "watching over". Kero-chan helps Sakura throughout the series by explaining the powers of the clow cards and identifying them. Thus, Kero helps Sakura see it through. Lee is always around. He helps her when she's in trouble and on several ocasions, protects her in the night. Yuki is always smiling and friendly, thus is smiling next to her. Lets not forget her crush.

Remaining lyrics, shall we?

**First verse**

"Hush now don't you cry"
(Sakura's father quells her guilt over breaking the laptop)

"Wipe away the tear drop from your eye"
(Lee tells Sakura to get a grip and Sakura wipes the tears from her eye)

"Your lying safe in bed"
(Sakura sleeping peacefully, shows the sequence where Jump becomes a big monster and is chasing her)

"It was all a bad dream spinning in your head"
(cross disolves into tormented sleep - this transition makes clear the sequence was a dream)

"Your mind tricked you to feel the pain of someone close to you leaving the game of life"
(From the tunnel where Sakura faced the erase card. Card erases Sakura's friend, thus a close person leaves the game of life. Up to this point, the lip sync is there to carry the video. Beyond this part, very little lip sync is used or intended. Without the use of it, the video would be boring. The song is two slow to pass a myriad of clips during this part. Emotionally and lyrically the magical scenes aren't ready to make an appearance.)

"So here it is, another chance. Wide awake you face your day"
(Sakura wakes up and prepares for another day at school)

"Your dream is over... or has it just begun"
(at this point Sakura finds the clow cards and casts windy on accident, thus beginning her adventures)

During the next part of the song, the instrumental parts kick in and the video completely changes moods. Prior to this the video is moving very slow with the music. Now the video begins to flow at a higher rate and the sceens start using panning camera angles. Magic becomes an obvious element in the video.

**second verse**

"There's a place I like to hide
a doorway that I run through in the night"
(Sakura flies down a hallway to this place, then runs through a doorway, followed by an archway in the night)

"Relax child you were there"
(Tomoyo comforts Sakura)

"but only didn't realize, and you were scared"
(Music dictates a sweeping shot here because of the way the violins kicked in. I tried to make it look like she was someplace safe, followed by her getting scared and ducking behind Tomoyo)

"It's a place where you will learn"
(School. Miyuki sensei teaching)

"To face your fears"
(Fighting the monsters from "the create")

"Retrace the years"
(Sakura spies in on Tora and Miyuki's past)

"And ride the whims of your mind"
(Sakura flying next to Kero from the opener. Kinda sounds like "ride the winds". Either way it fits well lyrically)

"Commanding in another world"
(Sakura commands the capture staff to release. Looks otherworldly)

"Suddenly you hear and see this magic new dimension"
(Sakura is surprised at how she can't hear anything when the Silent first uses it's effects. It's timed really well so it fits on hear and see. The magic new dimention shot is the art gallery from the same episode fading into the magic field of silent)

*insert chorus*

*solo*

**Third verse**

"If you open your mind for me"
(Lee meditating before using powers)

"You won't rely on open eyes to see"
(Sakura uses her powers to try to locate a clow card. Opens her eyes timed with lyrics. Next seen shows the Mirror with it's eyes closed as Watery passes through it. It makes it look like Sakura is in combat without using her eyes to see.)

"The walls you built would then come tumbling down and a new world will begin"
(Miyuki sensei breaks the walls of "the Maze". They come tumbling down. Next Sakura is experimenting with "the Glow" in a precognisent dream. Looks like she's possibly creating a new world)

"Living twice at once you learn
you're safe from pain in the dream domain,
your soul set free to fly"
(Sakura and mirror (living twice at once). Mirror tucks Sakura into bed (safe from pain in the dream domain). Mirror then disolves (Sakura's soul is set free). Sakura then rides the back of Kero (flying) from the Alice and Wonderland parody episode.)

"A round trip journey in your head"
(Shot from an acid trip Tomoyo had during the encounter with "the Dream")

"Master of Illusion"
(Illusion card. Sakura is now the master of illusion)

"Can you realize
your dream's alive
you can be your guide but.."
(The entire show features a reoccuring dream involving the Tokyo Tower (clamp specialty) which is precog. This is just after she collects the final elemental clow card and where she runs into Yue. Basically, the Dream is alive.)

*chorus again*

*song ends*

You complain about a lack of effects. I call it appropriate use of effects considering the song and mood I was conveying.

Was it a technical marvel? No, but the visuals created during the solo were noteworthy and impressive. I could have made the whole video look like that, but then the song wouldn't have mattered. Timing and placement of visuals to play on the song's movements is crititcal to a drama video.

Ok, now back to the AX bashing...

neo eva
Org Profile

Post by neo eva » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:38 pm

well........that certainly explained the video...and a whole lot more....... :roll:

OtakuOutpost
Org Profile

Post by OtakuOutpost » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:21 pm

Wow, there were a bunch of new posts after I started writing that. ^^;

There's also an abundance of that shouldn't have won, this shouldn't have won. I personally feel that the video "Devotion" should have won (Escaflowne/No. 1 Crush). Definately a more powerful drama video. That's why I awarded it the Choice Award.

The Fey Valentine video? I can barely remember it. I remember seeing a couple repeated scenes and thinking "what is this?". I remember thinking that the song didn't really matter and that it was entirely playing off the Cowboy Bebop sentiment. That's all. If I hadn't seen Bebop I really would have been completely bored by that video.

Oh, and before I forget, I'm glad I could help you, neo eva. I hope I gave you insight into the inner workings of the galaxy.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:58 pm

Apparently the reason the judges allowed Excel Scat into the competition and not my video was because they made thier own personal decisions on which videos "crossed the line" - whether or not they followed the rules be damned.

Watch my Go Speed Go video (it's available for download now) and then read my journal.

Utter bull$hit

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:55 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Got a link to your vid Ashton? It should jog up my memory...
www.chickensnack.com/amv

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:07 pm

I, myself were dissapointed at the choice of the judges disicion to not include Shameless Rock Video in the finals. Even if it wasn't "good" enough they still should have showed it.

Ahh damnit I forgot what I was going to originally post for... god damn short memory....

::Curses Short Term-Memory, why can't it all be long term::
supersai45: -makes a fist with hands-
phant112: what else do you make fists with?

thejugglinman23: it doesnt cost me anything to play with myself

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:09 pm

phantom_112 wrote:I, myself were dissapointed at the choice of the judges disicion to not include Shameless Rock Video in the finals. Even if it wasn't "good" enough they still should have showed it.

Ahh damnit I forgot what I was going to originally post for... god damn short memory....

::Curses Short Term-Memory, why can't it all be long term::
Ummmm, Shameless Rock video was shown.... in the fun category...
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:15 pm

ErMaC wrote:Apparently the reason the judges allowed Excel Scat into the competition and not my video was because they made thier own personal decisions on which videos "crossed the line" - whether or not they followed the rules be damned.

Watch my Go Speed Go video (it's available for download now) and then read my journal.

Utter bull$hit

BAHHAHAHAHAHHA.....whoa man. I just downloaded it and watched it. I tip my hat to you man. I heard that mix of speed racer before at a club in cancun one time so when I heard it I knew it would be funny.

Hmmm, to be honest, I think the judges were way to harsh this year on prejudging.

I think my Butterfly video was DQed because of content as well.
I love the way u pestered Brian in your journal Big Mac ^_^.

Personally I liked the video...and since I have a sick sense of humor, I myself don't think it should have been DQed.

But that's just me :twisted:

BigName
Org Profile

Post by BigName » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:20 pm

how many of the videos shown/winning videos are available for download as of now?

Songblade
Org Profile

GRAR

Post by Songblade » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:25 pm

Actually, there is a new and BIGGER convention center (It's HUGE, you can hold, like, 5 conventions in there at once; its, like, 5 times the size of the long beach CC) in Anaheim. There are about 4 or 5 hotels surrounding it (no more long walks...YAY!!) and the best part.....It's nowhere near Disneyland!! (and I've been inside it....there doesn't appear to be any sign of control by Disney....)
I hope to God you are right, dude. If I saw Mickey in a costume, I'd pull a Unit 01 on it.

I got the CCS vid just fine, though, yeah, the lip synchs kinda interrupted the mood. I really love Devotion (now that I remember it) Anyone know where I can DL? :) I'm lazy, i've yet to search, kill me.

BTW, I love you guys, bitterness and evil paperairplanes and all! XD
<a href="http://www.wish3.net">Wish³</a> ~ What would you wish for?

Return to “AMV Contests”