Anime Expo AMV Competition Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:22 pm

[nods] it was actually pretty easy to cut.

Songblade
Org Profile

Grain of salt ^_^

Post by Songblade » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:56 am

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm not an AMV maker (though I would be if I had the fargin' equipment), but I study directing and storyboarding with an actual director in Hollywood so I hope that gives me some backing to say what I'm gonna say. This is the first AMV contest I've been to outta the 3 or so years I've been to AX and I gotta say....

Yeah, this AX AMV thing did suck :/

A few entries I just had to ask myself WHY they made it into the finals. Feh! And YES!!! My group and I thought that if Dragon Bebop Z had been in the "Fun" category, it woulda cleaned house. It was in the tradition of Tainted Donuts, so that was great.

I disagree about 6 Minutes though. The third time I saw it in the Masq was as enjoyable as the first time I watched it because of the audience reaction. And, yeah, I do think that's the whole point :) Arty post-modern thoughts, etc. etc.

I was also pissed off with the way the tech errors were handled, but hell... machines suck and I don't blame the poor staff. Bet they don't get paid, but get spit on way too much. And if someone screwed up my car that's cheaper than the $15k projection screen, I'd be pissed too.

I *definitely* thought that Spectacular Anime should have gotten SOMETHING. It was really enjoyable, it redeemed the crap that was Moulin Rouge in my eyes.

I also disagree that that extra prize should go to the winners of the categories. Give it to someone who was REALLY good, but didn't make it, like Spectacular, Enigma, Because She (FINALLY someone else loves Faye's past) or Devotion. And maybe a few others I forgot, but for God's sakes, those were REALLY good vids and though I also liked the CCS vid and cheered for it, it was too long and too.... *cute* and without much story meat as the three I just listed. Under other circumstances, I'd bet things woulda been very different.

I liked all the winners,d ont' get me wrong, BUT... if the "Fun" category was new, and no one had heard of it before (i'm only assuming, kill me if I'm wrong)... WHY give an award for it?? If someone *knew* about theFun category, they'd give so much more effort to makin' fun videos, neh? I didn't really care for Shameless Rock Video. Bootycalls and filters, it's what I saw.

Bleeeeh! Last year completely outstripped this year! Tim, ya shoulda got somethin' too! BAH! Ah well. Here's to hopin' for a better next year. Can't attend any other cons but AX, no funds :)

In closing, though, I really admire that all you guys do what you do. I spliced my first trailer last semester and rendering is saiite! x.o

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:37 am

Songblade...I'd like to welcome you to a-m-v.org....heh...Hope you have a pleasant time here....

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:41 am

Ohh yea...I don't really care though that Enigma didn't win...I mean yea...I wanted to win something but I don't mind.....I did get noticed kinda though....Troy Williams asked for my e-mail address on stage so I was like "Yay"...heh....I just wonder why he wanted it...o_O

Songblade
Org Profile

Post by Songblade » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:02 am

EvilVegettoZ wrote:Songblade...I'd like to welcome you to a-m-v.org....heh...Hope you have a pleasant time here....
I... hope that was sincere ;) I was flamed on a-m-v.org for requesting Right Now once XD That was fun
<a href="http://www.wish3.net">Wish³</a> ~ What would you wish for?

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:06 am

lol......=P.....I meant everything with good intentions...=D

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:29 am

Sorry, not quoting because there's just too much...

EvilVegettoZ: I've been to over a dozen contests, and this was the worst.
I know Eric Kobet worked on Sakura Con's contest this year, not sure about others.
I'm fairly soft spoken but I was told by the A/V tech I had the quietest mic. (??)
Getting up at 6:45 in order to see the contest sucked. Someone told me I looked plastered, even though I hadn't had anything to drink. :?

They said they're going to revamp the contest next year, with no more noise meter, but I won't be there to see it.

It really sucked that they didn't say what anime/song was used when doing the voting. There were no replays (kind of a given seeing how messed up everything was), but though I had an okay idea of what I wanted to vote for, going by *video titles* alone, I wasn't sure which video was which sometimes. (especially since some were shuffled around due to yet more problems) As Anthony pointed out, his "Silent Lucidity" was about the only one to use the song title as the video title.

Unfortunately with Cassiopeia's(sp?) video, the music really drowned out the vocals, so some of the intent was lost.

Adding the "Fun" category at the last minute was messed up, particularly since some of the Comedy videos would have worked better there.

I heard that they were going to get a DVD burner as a prize, but couldn't get budget allocated to it in time. What were the prizes handed out at Masquerade? I heard the judges' awards (ie: Best Composition, etc) were just *thrown out* due to lack of time.

AD: The AMVC actually had a token mention in the con book this year. :? Ticket/seating policies were listed on page 24.

Joe: One of the highlights of the con was watching TV in the hotel room! (and registration. that was painless and quick)

Castor Troy: Yeah, I noticed they credited me for Kung Fubop... I don't like yelling so I didn't try and correct them. Thanks to those who did.

SpPANDA: "Chemicals" seemed to have a horizontal blind effect (kind of like resizing interlaced footage), but the Beboppin' video had it worse off with ruined timing.

Anneke: We were wondering where the money goes too. (they get $5M?) I think some people will be making some inquiries.

Castor Troy (again): I would hope "This Video Sucks" isn't as good as "Right Now" given the respective work put into each. :)

Songblade: Thanks, but not winning is no problem. :) (I assume you mean me and not Tim Stair since you emailed me before the con)

"I don't blame the poor staff. Bet they don't get paid, but get spit on way too much"

Yes, but as Vlad will probably expand on later, they wore too many hats/had too much work, and didn't get anyone else to help them??

----------

Other notes:
My "This Video Sucks" entry still had reversed field order! It didn't have it as bad as the Bebop entries, though.

Incidentally, about the Bebop movie scheduling... I heard that Columbia Tristar picked the date/time, and said that AX could show it once at that time or not at all. Combine that with a couple of Bebop videos getting messed up at the contest... hmmm... ;)

Problems:
- As mentioned, the 35mm projector broke (no backup?) and there were *no films* on Thursday. (aww, no Char's Counterattack! :P)
- The events schedule was a two-page *glossy* sheet. There were tons of "TBA"s on it. Vlad had a printout of the website which had more details. I and others would have preferred a cheap photocopy if it was more accurate.
- We went to Terrace an hour before it was supposed to close one night (LBCC was dead dead dead) to watch some anime and were told that it was over.
- Dealer's room was smaller than last year.(?) There was a line most of the time.
- AMV problems ad nauseum.
- I'm not much of an arcade gamer, but saw a sign saying that all tournaments were cancelled. Sheesh.

Moving the gripe session from 10AM Sunday to 7PM was pretty cheap. Given how far some people come for the con, how many can stay that late? (Vlad's going home tomorrow so he'll be there)

Interestingly, Vlad noted that there were more people at the AMV creator's panel than some of the guest panels he went to. (except Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki of course) That said, I don't know what they were or weren't up against, programming-wise.

I went to AX2002/entered the contest because:

1) Last year was all right
2) I was invited to the panel
3) I wanted to see some of the west coast guys again

However,

1) This year sucked
2) I won't be on the panel next year
3) Some of the west coast guys are planning on coming to east coast cons

Therefore,

1) You'd have to pay me to go to AX next year. A lot.

QED.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:30 am

A separate note if you skipped all that:

Otakon couldn't be worse this year unless it's being run by sub-primates.

I told Vlad that if nobody shows up on stage for the gripe session, they should put bananas on the chairs as bait.

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:37 am

lol.....doki doki....I am with you all the way on what you have said.....All though I've only been to only 2 con's....AX's AMV contest had to be EXTREMELY BAD....I just hope next years isn't as bad as this years was.....Are you considering sending submissions for next year though?

Songblade
Org Profile

Post by Songblade » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:38 am

Oh damn! I can't believe I was forced to not go to the AMV panel cuz I had to run around doin' interviews as press x.o And now I'll never get to meet you guys and gush! CHIKUSHOU! ;_;
<a href="http://www.wish3.net">Wish³</a> ~ What would you wish for?

Return to “AMV Contests”