Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:10 pm

kholaras wrote: Sorry Matt and everyone else. First year on staff and I guess I overstepped my bounds. It was a long two weekends of judging and an even longer con weekend, so I'm not really sure where it got messed up. Probably just read off the wrong line of my printouts.

I'll keep my mouth shut in the future :)
Eh, if I was really pissed, I would'a e-mailed you privately. Next time ask first.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:23 pm

MCWagner wrote:Best Instrumental
Goes to Helen of Allegretto Productions
For the Video “Absolution”
To the song “Allegretto” by Bond
To the Anime Ah! My Goddess Movie
That would be jasper-isis (Helen) and krzT (Kristie). It was a collab.

Here's something that I'm curious about: Since the video was created by the two of us, does it mean that we both qualify for the Masters contest now? >__>

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:04 pm

Congrats again everyone :wink:

And it was an honor to win best character profile, I wish I could've gotten down there.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Re: Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:03 am

MCWagner wrote: Best Live Action
Goes to Hsien Lee of Kusoyaro Productions
For the Video “Peninsula Pomegranate Pendegrass”
To the song of the same name by Halley
To the film “Lost in Translation”
To anyone who's interested, I posted a download link to this video in my journal. Can't really make an entry on the site since it's completely unrelated to anime.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:01 am

Lostboy wrote:
MCWagner wrote:Yeah, while announcing the winner I asked the audience to all raise their hands if they hadn't seen UY: Beautiful Dreamer. Then I demanded that they all go out and find the film, since it's easily one of the best Animes ever made....
And did anyone ever notice that the movie Dark City borrowed gratuitously from Beautiful Dreamer?
I'm not sure it's gratuitous, but there are definite similarities. I suspect Dreamer got its theme from Native American legends about the gods creating the world on the back of a turtle.

A quick Google search brings up several articles comparing Oshii (director of Beautiful Dreamer) with Proyas (director of Dark City). Dark City vs Avalon; I, Robot vs Ghost In the Shell, etc.
dwchang wrote:I've seen it, but I won't lie...I was forced to since it was one of the ingredients for Iron Chef at ACen earlier this year...Wink Good stuff regardless.
It's good that Quu is contributing to your education. :wink:

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:18 am

TaranT wrote:
Lostboy wrote:
MCWagner wrote:Yeah, while announcing the winner I asked the audience to all raise their hands if they hadn't seen UY: Beautiful Dreamer. Then I demanded that they all go out and find the film, since it's easily one of the best Animes ever made....
And did anyone ever notice that the movie Dark City borrowed gratuitously from Beautiful Dreamer?
I'm not sure it's gratuitous, but there are definite similarities. I suspect Dreamer got its theme from Native American legends about the gods creating the world on the back of a turtle.
Actually no, it's based on a legend of an Emperor who, upon saving a turtle, accepted an invitation from the turtle to visit the dragon king's kingdom (or something like that) and rode on his back to the mansion under the sea. When he finally returned, he discovered that he'd been gone for thousands of years instead of just a few days that he'd thought. There's actually a sidelong reference to this in the film, but you've got to watch out for it...
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:17 pm

MCWagner wrote: Actually no, it's based on a legend of an Emperor who, upon saving a turtle, accepted an invitation from the turtle to visit the dragon king's kingdom (or something like that) and rode on his back to the mansion under the sea. When he finally returned, he discovered that he'd been gone for thousands of years instead of just a few days that he'd thought. There's actually a sidelong reference to this in the film, but you've got to watch out for it...
Interesting...I want to watch the movie again now, so I'll look for that (IF I can find my DVD; couldn't locate it last night).

With Google, I came across another city-on-turtle reference in a review of an anime "Amon Saga" - which I haven't seen.

Return to “AMV Contests”