Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:18 am

TaranT wrote:
Lostboy wrote:
MCWagner wrote:Yeah, while announcing the winner I asked the audience to all raise their hands if they hadn't seen UY: Beautiful Dreamer. Then I demanded that they all go out and find the film, since it's easily one of the best Animes ever made....
And did anyone ever notice that the movie Dark City borrowed gratuitously from Beautiful Dreamer?
I'm not sure it's gratuitous, but there are definite similarities. I suspect Dreamer got its theme from Native American legends about the gods creating the world on the back of a turtle.
Actually no, it's based on a legend of an Emperor who, upon saving a turtle, accepted an invitation from the turtle to visit the dragon king's kingdom (or something like that) and rode on his back to the mansion under the sea. When he finally returned, he discovered that he'd been gone for thousands of years instead of just a few days that he'd thought. There's actually a sidelong reference to this in the film, but you've got to watch out for it...
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:17 pm

MCWagner wrote: Actually no, it's based on a legend of an Emperor who, upon saving a turtle, accepted an invitation from the turtle to visit the dragon king's kingdom (or something like that) and rode on his back to the mansion under the sea. When he finally returned, he discovered that he'd been gone for thousands of years instead of just a few days that he'd thought. There's actually a sidelong reference to this in the film, but you've got to watch out for it...
Interesting...I want to watch the movie again now, so I'll look for that (IF I can find my DVD; couldn't locate it last night).

With Google, I came across another city-on-turtle reference in a review of an anime "Amon Saga" - which I haven't seen.

Return to “AMV Contests”