Video Formats

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ikasu
Org Profile

Video Formats

Post by Ikasu » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:49 pm

This may sound like it shouldn't be here....but it is for a AMV contest so I'm trying to figure this out...I have my experience mostly in digital formats but not tape formats...so I just need to get this figured out...

SVHS, VHSc, 8mm, Hi8, Digital 8, Mini-DV, DV

What would I need to play these formats?...and I heard somewhere that it is bad to play a SVHS tape in a VHS player...or the other way around....This is extremely important so I hope someone can clear this up for me...

TaranT
Org Profile

Re: Video Formats

Post by TaranT » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:43 pm

Ikasu wrote:...SVHS, VHSc, 8mm, Hi8, Digital 8, Mini-DV, DV
What would I need to play these formats?...and I heard somewhere that it is bad to play a SVHS tape in a VHS player...or the other way around..
SVHS requires a VCR designed for it. They look like regular VCRs, but there will be a special "SVHS" symbol on the front. An SVHS VCR will play VHS tapes (at least mine does), but a VHS-only VCR will not play SVHS tapes - although I admit I've never tried it.

All the others that you listed are camcorder formats. There are adapters that allow VHSC to be played in normal VCRs. For the rest, you can sometimes find a specialized VCR for the format, but it is often cheaper and easier to get a compatible camcorder. I don't know if you can find 8mm or DV (as opposed to mini-DV and micro-MV) equipment any more.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:03 am

Ikasu wrote:SVHS, VHSc, 8mm, Hi8, Digital 8, Mini-DV, DV
SVHS will play in a SVHS deck or SQPB (Super-Quasi Playback) VHS deck.

VHSc uses an adapter that can play in a regular VHS or SVHS deck.

I'm not too familiar with the 8mm series because I've only really used professional formats...

Mini-DV will play in any Mini-DV camcorder or deck or any DV deck.

DV will play in any DV deck or DVCPro or DVCam deck.

DVCPro and DVCam are NOT COMPATIBLE. Even though they look and behave exactly the same...

--Chris ^^

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:03 am

ahhh...Thank you...That helped a lot...=D

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:27 am

TaranT wrote: I don't know if you can find 8mm or DV (as opposed to mini-DV and micro-MV) equipment any more.

Sure you can, I got a Panasonic AG-DV2000 and it plays and records in both DV and mini-DV. I actually use it to make archives of my work. I like the DV tapes since I can get 2 hours (or more - depending on the tape) on SP mode as apposed to 60 - 90 minutes with mini-DV...

Vlad

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:51 pm

I thought at first that was a camcorder, but I see it's a very nice - & very expensive :shock: - VTR. I can archive with my cheap Canon since it has video-in jacks. But it won't take the larger DV tapes.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:52 am

TaranT wrote:I thought at first that was a camcorder, but I see it's a very nice - & very expensive :shock: - VTR. I can archive with my cheap Canon since it has video-in jacks. But it won't take the larger DV tapes.

Yes, understandable, but then I use it for my business as well so the price it worth it for me. It has AWSOME editing features as well that a camera can't touch.

For the avarage AMV maker, I recommend a cheap camera and mini-DV tapes....

Vlad

BigName
Org Profile

Post by BigName » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:20 am

let's take things down a step furthur with money and such... for archival stuff lately I've been using a cheap digital 8 camcorder I picked up off e-bay, the camera kinda sucks but as far as digital 8 goes... it's the same as mini dv... only with HI8 tapes... only problem is that you can only play it back on select digital 8 machines... so it's pretty much only for archival...

::strokes the workplace Sony DSR-20 that does DV-CAM and mini DV::

*stroke*
*stroke*
*stroke*

Return to “AMV Contests”