Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Post by dwchang » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:45 pm

I know there is already a thread that has the winners, but I figured I'd post with a more detailed list since there were runner-ups and honorable mentions and no one has mentioned them. I think they deserve some credit as well since it was such a great contest.

I guess this'll look like I'm bragging since I won one of the awards, but hopefully you'll see that I'm just trying to be informative and also provide links (if available) to these very good videos.

If I can remember vote deltas, I'll post what I can.

So here is the "list" we were told at the con (if something is wrong, please feel free to correct me):

Romance/Sentimental:
-Winner: Glory of Love by dwchang (err...me)
-Runner-up Deceptive Passions by MeriC :-D
-Honorable Mention: A Love Hina video set to "Desperado" by the Eagles by Alex Mirra (I *think*)

I believe I won by a margin of 14 votes and the honorable mention was 16 behind MeriC. So I got X, MeriC got X-14 and Alex got X-30.

Serious/Dramatic:
-Winner: Searching by Grover
-Runner-up: Mad World by Nightowl Pictures
-Honorable Mention: Urban Ragnorak by Jbone

I believe Grover won by 30 votes to Nightowl and Gambitt. Unsure on Jason's vote total.

Action:
-Winner: The Need for Speed by .Skyfire
-Runner-up: Die Another Day by VicBond007
-Honorable Mention: Hindi Sad Diamonds by Brad Demoss

This was the closest category and .Skyfire came way with a win by a margin of 6 votes.

Upbeat/Rhythm:
-Winner: It's Tricky to Make a Music Video by Bogosort (I know how much he loves the fact he won :-P
-Runner-up: Stop the Rock by Nappy
-Honorable Mention: Vanilla Vash by Senta Miller

Unsure on totals, but I *think* Lee won by a considerable margin.

Humorous/Satirical:
-Winner: Lollipops, Sunshine, and rrrRRRrrr by Doki Doki Productions
-Runner-up: We Want You!!! by Vlad G. Pohnert
-Honorable Mention: Hard Knock Anime by Hackerzc

Tim won by a considerable margin IIRC.

I believe someone posted the entire ballot in another thread and my hands are tired typing all this :-P. Regardless, I found nearly every entry to be worthy of being a finalist and highly enjoyable. Even though these are the "winners," all of you should be proud of yourselves.

I might also add as a consolation "prize," probably close to ~10,000 people saw our videos throughout the course of the con. So smile :-D. And yes I realize how corny that is, but seriously, it was quite rewarding to see my video in front of literally thousands. I might also add no video got a negative reaction like boo-ing.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:29 pm

boo-ing
Well Hsien did boo Rinny's video, or at least I hope that was Hsien...and not some other elitist prick ;)

And ya. 10,000+ person exposure. That's 0wnage right there. To the losers: Don't feel that bad, you probably got my vote. No video that I voted for won...although that happens every year at Otakon ^_^() Go underdogs!!! And if you need more consoling, talk to Vlad! He'll be more than happy to babble on for 90+ minutes about your video ;) (I'm gonna catch hell for that one!)
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:39 pm

dwchang wrote:Romance/Sentimental:
-Honorable Mention: A Love Hina video set to "Desperado" by the Eagles by Alex Mirra (I *think*)
The weakest category in the contest, with the winner and runner-up being the best two videos of the category. One thing that was surprising though: Desperado being the EVA video for the third place spot.
Serious/Dramatic:
-Winner: Searching by Grover
-Runner-up: Mad World by Nightowl Pictures
-Honorable Mention: Urban Ragnorak by Jbone
Dramatic was somewhat better. I had a feeling that Mad World and Urban Ragnorak will be second and third.
Action:
-Winner: The Need for Speed by .Skyfire
-Runner-up: Die Another Day by VicBond007
-Honorable Mention: Hindi Sad Diamonds by Brad Demoss
Oh yeah, this was definitely a close race between The Need for Speed and Die Another Day, as both were great videos.
Upbeat/Rhythm:
-Winner: It's Tricky to Make a Music Video by Bogosort (I know how much he loves the fact he won :-P
-Runner-up: Stop the Rock by Nappy
-Honorable Mention: Vanilla Vash by Senta Miller
If It's Tricky's victory is indeed by a considerable margin, then that would be a big surprise, since I thought that the winner was going be Stop the Rock. As for honorable mention, I agree that after those two videos, Vanilla Vash was the third best video in the category.
Humorous/Satirical:
-Winner: Lollipops, Sunshine, and rrrRRRrrr by Doki Doki Productions
-Runner-up: We Want You!!! by Vlad G. Pohnert
-Honorable Mention: Hard Knock Anime by Hackerzc
No surprise that first and second went to the two "back-to-back Otakon winners" in the category, as both were very enjoyable videos. As for third place, I'm not sure if it's a surprise or not, since I felt that the third best was Who Let the 'Fros Out?, although Hard Knock Anime did have some funny moments.

Joe Klemm

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:00 pm

dwchang wrote: I might also add no video got a negative reaction like boo-ing.
*points at footage I have of several thousand people groaning at the SYLN title card and sobs*

Though to be fair to myself, they *did* like it at the end. I was massively miscategorized, though.
TnAdct1 wrote: Dramatic was somewhat better. I had a feeling that Mad World and Urban Ragnorak will be second and third.
I think that The Two Shall Meet, or Urban Ragnarok, or... well, *any* of the videos deserved first place more than Searching. Which is not to say that Searching is a bad video, but the others were just so much better concieved than Searching. Anybody can match clips to lyrics, but The Two Shall Meet was goddamned beautiful.

Also, in Action, I'm kinda surprised that Variation in D Minor didn't get Honorable Mention.
TnAdct1 wrote: No surprise that first and second went to the two "back-to-back Otakon winners" in the category, as both were very enjoyable videos. As for third place, I'm not sure if it's a surprise or not, since I felt that the third best was Who Let the 'Fros Out?, although Hard Knock Anime did have some funny moments.
The thing is, (and I'm sure Ashyukun himself will agree with me), WLtFO isn't really a comedy video, except for the last part. WLtFO would have held well on its' own in Upbeat, and possibly even beaten Vanilla Vash. HKA, on the other hand, was funny throughout, and was my pick for Best Comedy until I saw doki's and Vlad's videos.

Still, congrats to all the winners, runners-up, honorable mentions, and really great videos that aren't on this list. I'm honored to have been on the same ballot with you guys.

-DOKool

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:06 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:
dwchang wrote:Romance/Sentimental:
The weakest category in the contest, with the winner and runner-up being the best two videos of the category. One thing that was surprising though: Desperado being the EVA video for the third place spot.
No surprise to me -- that Eva video was crap...

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:13 pm

dokool wrote:
dwchang wrote: I might also add no video got a negative reaction like boo-ing.
*points at footage I have of several thousand people groaning at the SYLN title card and sobs*
At least you didn't have people who were so enraged by your song choice so that they started pounding their hands together to make enough noise such that they couldn't hear the song anymore. Now that's just rude.

suberunker
Org Profile

Post by suberunker » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:55 pm

Anybody can match clips to lyrics, but The Two Shall Meet was goddamned beautiful.
:D Although Urban Ragnarok is really REALLY damned awesome. But I guess it needs to be taken in full to be truly appreciated.
No surprise to me -- that Eva video was crap...
No surprise to me neither, it was awful 8)

suberunker
CLARENCE CARTER!
CLARENCE CARTER!
CLARENCE CARTER!
OOOOHHH SHIT!

vash-chan
Org Profile

Post by vash-chan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:08 am

Can anyone tell me where/when will we be able to get Lollipops, Sunshine, and rrrRRRrrr by Doki Doki Productions ?
i REALLY loved that video and i want to see it again and again and again and again.......
I am a tea pot, short and stout. Tip me over and pour me out.

Nappy
Org Profile

Post by Nappy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:13 am

He told me at fanime he'd put it up after Otakon. So it should be soon >_>

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:28 am

Sorry. After an HD crash (I recovered most of the files), and with the amount of work I have to do now, it's more like AWA time. (six weeks)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “AMV Contests”