Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:06 am

Tom the Fish wrote: On Always, I never noticed the different eye colors on Rei in the video early on until I saw it on the big screen. The use of colors in Always is just amazing.

Tom
At least in the first showing- unfortunately at the showing on Saturday in Video 1 it was damn near impossible to see anything properly because of how washed out the images the projector was showing were. I think this hurt Always more than anyhting else I saw because of how it destroyed the overlays...
Bogosort wrote:Maybe the question is when you actually Stopped the Rock.
Actually, it would seem that you were the one who Stopped the Rock...

I'm glad a number of you enjoyed WLtFO so much. :) It was a rather hard one to categorize, though- I submitted it as Upbeat but the prejudging changed it to Comedy, and I think it fit equally well in both categories. I really can't complain that much though- for a video that was pretty much just made to showcase a silly show and to get my wife to stop pestering me about making an Afro Ken video, I'm really happy with how well received it has been. :D

And as has been said before, there were no bad videos in the contest- I think just about any of them could likely have won someplace less cutthroat than Otakon. And even the videos that did not make the contest got a good amount of play as well- I don't think I ever stopped by the video room where the overflow tapes were being played to find it less than full.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:00 pm

Hmm...I just wanted to point out that I didn't wanna create this thread to have people bash other videos. We all have our own opinions as to what should've won and what we voted for, but it's not that tasteful to start comparing and so on.

Given, praise is fine, but let's not get into a "Video X got screwed" or "Video Y shouldn't have won." The vote was based on the audience and the audience has spoken. I fundamentally don't like audiences determining "Best of XYZ," but that's what Otakon chose and the only thing we could do was vote ourselves.

Sorry to sound a bit bitchy, but I'm sure some of the people whose videos we have mentioned might be a bit angry. Again, nothing wrong with praise which most people have been doing.
Bogosort wrote:At least you didn't have people who were so enraged by your song choice so that they started pounding their hands together to make enough noise such that they couldn't hear the song anymore. Now that's just rude.
Given, I didn't entirely know if I was hearing it right (yes I was THAT out of it and nervous), but after Quu confirmed it, it would appear the audience was clapping to the beat in my song.

I might add that my song is a VERY slow Love Ballad and I am a bit perplexed as to why anyone would clap to the beat (which is like once every two seconds).

Don't get me wrong though, I had a blast and enjoyed every minute of it.

Isn't the name of Nappy's video "Stop the Rock?" with a question mark? It would appear that your question has been answered Nappy :-D
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Nappy
Org Profile

Post by Nappy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:25 pm

Was hoping to retire it undefeated ;_;

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:31 pm

Nappy wrote:Was hoping to retire it undefeated ;_;
DENIED

Retire it? But I thought we discussed sending it to OMGWTF-EVERYTHING-con

:-P
-Daniel

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:33 pm

Easiest way to do that is to never enter it anywhere. =P

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:49 pm

the bestg way to retire a video is to bring it out back, shoot it, then bury the body...

its tricky to hide a bad video in a contest, its tricky to make people liek it, its tricky to be briliant
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Nappy
Org Profile

Post by Nappy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:54 pm

dwchang wrote:
DENIED

Just the big uns :P
BogoSort wrote:
Easiest way to do that is to never enter it anywhere. =P
Retire without doing anything huh? I wish I could do that in real life :l

/me moves to florida

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:09 pm

Nappy wrote:
dwchang wrote:
DENIED

Just the big uns :P
Boo! And OMGWTF-EVERYTHING-con is in a week...and the weekend after that....and after that...

Loser :-P

On a serious note, yeah I'm retiring Glory as well. I figure a "major con" win is sufficient recognition and I'd piss off people sending it to other cons.

Main reason being that some editors saw my video 3 or 4 times just at Otakon (2 screenings, award ceremonies, etc.). I'm sure they'd get sick of it :P. It's sad since AnimeFEST is in Dallas (3 hours away) and I won't be able to see my own videos at "home," but I wouldn't trade this "win" for anything right now XD.

/me is still debating AWA...but then again those editors will be there too :(.
-Daniel

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Post by Scintilla » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:35 pm

Ashyukun wrote:At least in the first showing- unfortunately at the showing on Saturday in Video 1 it was damn near impossible to see anything properly because of how washed out the images the projector was showing were.
Have I already complained about the audio balance in Video Room 1?

If I'd known it was going to be like that, I might have thought to subtitle the lyrics. 'Cause I'm willing to bet that nobody there had heard the song to my vid (the Dan Rather one) before, unless they'd already DLed my vid.

Oh well. Guess I better just work on finishing my next one in time for AWA Expo and AnimeNEXT.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:05 pm

Ahhh, Delusions of Grander :wink:

Vlad

Return to “AMV Contests”