Otakon 2003 AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:44 am

dwchang wrote:
BogoSort wrote:
Senta wrote:
BogoSort wrote:Totally. Why would anyone use Vash dancing unless it was to be selling out?
I think that means half of our category was selling out. W00T!

Go white boy, go white boy, GO! 8)
Speaking of white boys, when will one be able to acquire a copy of Vanilla Vash anyways? Are you ever going to upload your videos to golden donut?
Yeah what the sell-out said 8)
ditto 8)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:43 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
BogoSort wrote:
Rinny wrote:BTW, I seriously want Vlad to console me. I still can't fathom how I was beaten by Desperado.
I want Vlad to console me. I can't believe that the category that I entered was won by a terribly gaudy video that does nothing but cater to the shallow tastes of the audience. *cries*
Ya mean Tim's video I would imagine....

Vlad
As soon as I saw Tim/DDP on the list of finalists, I knew I wasn't winning anything. But I didn't expect him to use a song with no lyrics and subtitle the whole thing to fit. Not that it wasn't highly amusing, of course.

(And the video retained its humor value no matter what the audio balance was like.)

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:38 pm

Vancore wrote:
dwchang wrote:
BogoSort wrote:
Senta wrote:
BogoSort wrote:Totally. Why would anyone use Vash dancing unless it was to be selling out?
I think that means half of our category was selling out. W00T!

Go white boy, go white boy, GO! 8)
Speaking of white boys, when will one be able to acquire a copy of Vanilla Vash anyways? Are you ever going to upload your videos to golden donut?
Yeah what the sell-out said 8)
ditto 8)
BTW Vancore, nice video. Given, I saw it at ACen and already have a copy, but I like this video and don't mind seeing it again on the big screen. I guess it's b/c there are WAY too many VHD videos out there and I think I have *maybe* two or three on my HD (which is a small %) and yours is one of them.

I was somewhat disappointed you didn't win, but knew based on the audience the Top Gun vid was going to win.

Oh well.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:06 pm

dwchang wrote: BTW Vancore, nice video. Given, I saw it at ACen and already have a copy, but I like this video and don't mind seeing it again on the big screen. I guess it's b/c there are WAY too many VHD videos out there and I think I have *maybe* two or three on my HD (which is a small %) and yours is one of them.

I was somewhat disappointed you didn't win, but knew based on the audience the Top Gun vid was going to win.

Oh well.
Thanks dwchang, although I think it was the ending of my vid that did me in. Its not really action oreinted material. Still wish I would have been there tho if only to see the crowds reaction to it. Hoping I can still get a tape of the event.

Congrads to those that won and to those that got into the contest.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:39 pm

Vancore wrote:Thanks dwchang, although I think it was the ending of my vid that did me in. Its not really action oreinted material. Still wish I would have been there tho if only to see the crowds reaction to it. Hoping I can still get a tape of the event.

Congrads to those that won and to those that got into the contest.
Well it's not really your fault the song slows down. It'd look really stupid if you still had action going on during the slower parts that conclude the song.

As for a reaction, it got a pretty strong one. Given, almost every video got a pretty good reaction of loud applause and cheering (yeah even my slow as hell romance video). Given, Comedy and Upbeat got the loudest responses for obvious reasons, but I was surprised how "good" the audience was (except for one time) in that they applauded every video and so on.

I might also add that ~5,000 people usually equates to a loud response regardless, so yeah...it was nice. Definitely worth seeing/hearing. It was the main reason I went down, since Doki and Vlad said I *had to* see my video in front of such a large audience and well...they were right. The award was just icing on the cake.

Oh and all finalists get a tape of the contest. I might also add that this was easily the strongest contest I have ever seen with every entry deserving to be there and competing.
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:43 pm

Vancore,

Totally random post, but I just read your profile and you were there at ACen2002 with the rest of us watching the prescreening till like 5 a.m.?!?! Holy crap man...kindred spirits. I was there too with Koop and Senta (which you mentioned). That was actually my first video and like my first month into AMVs.

It's amazing what a year can do for all three of us (Koop in particular). Wow! Amazing that I sort of met you, but not really. Come to ACen 2004 ^_^

BTW I know it looks like I'm kissing ass, but...I'm surprised your VHD video didn't win an award at some of the contests it was at. Given, they were all big contests with many good entries, but I was rooting for you at the handful I was at.
-Daniel

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:56 am

dwchang wrote:Oh and all finalists get a tape of the contest.
What? How? I didn't get one...

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:59 am

dwchang wrote: Oh and all finalists get a tape of the contest.
Huh?

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:48 am

trythil wrote:
dwchang wrote: Oh and all finalists get a tape of the contest.
Huh?
Exactly what it says...Matt will be sending all the finalist a tape of all the contest tape. It's a really strong contest too.
-Daniel

Cybermat
Org Profile

Post by Cybermat » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:57 am

Scintilla wrote:
dwchang wrote:Oh and all finalists get a tape of the contest.
What? How? I didn't get one...
It's not like it's automatic -- I can't afford to pony up 31 tapes and a minumum of 62 hours of time duping tapes for people who may not even be interested in getting a copy of the contest.

Contest finalists who are interested gotta send me a blank tape and a self-addressed STAMPED return mailer. I'll send out an e-mail to the finalists when I'm unpacked and able to dup the tapes for them.

Man, I haven't even been able to get the official results typed in yet....
Otakon 2006 Fan Parody Contact | Otakon AMV Coordinator, 1997-2003

Return to “AMV Contests”