fanime iron chef results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
flammie
Org Profile

fanime iron chef results

Post by flammie » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:29 am

Watched the iron chef competition at fanime today. It was in a HUGE room with less than 1/10 of the seats used.

The two competitors were Ermac and Doki Doki, with Brad DeMoss as the host/announcer person.

The topic was guns, with the anime allowed being gunsmith cats, jin-roh, ghost in the shell, and a whole bunch of other anime i don't remember. The secret anime was lupin the 3rd: castle of cagliostro.

The videos:
Just barely finishing within the time limit, Doki Doki made a pretty generic action video, with a pretty decent opening featuring dancing robots. I don't remember anything else except for the dead spot where he just has a guy from Jin-roh holding his weapon for several seconds.

Finishing 91 minutes in, Ermac made a Lupin chase video, which showcased the imposible physics made famous in Doki Doki's "Right Now" video.

The winner:
Doki Doki. Even though Ermacs video IMHO was slightly better, it featured very little in the way of guns (other than the tire shooting out, and the guns in the beginning), along with the fact that the chase scene seemed to just be two long chases sequences spliced together and timed differently than in the movie (i think, correct me if i'm wrong). Doki Doki's video was pretty average.

However, considering they made the videos in two hours, they both did a great job. :D

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: fanime iron chef results

Post by dwchang » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:56 am

First off, thanks for the quick results. I've been wanting to know since Tim is a good friend of mine.
flammie wrote:Watched the iron chef competition at fanime today. It was in a HUGE room with less than 1/10 of the seats used.
Wow! I'm quite a bit surprised with this. Given, I bet our room wasn't as big, but Iron Chef was during the Masquerade (which easily diminished the audience) and we still packed the 2nd biggest room (standing room only and security 'guarding' it and not letting people in). SHOCKING since well...a nobody like me was doing the ACen one and at Fanime they had two very good and well-known editors.

Yay for ACen :).
flammie wrote:The winner:
Doki Doki. Even though Ermacs video IMHO was slightly better, it featured very little in the way of guns (other than the tire shooting out, and the guns in the beginning), along with the fact that the chase scene seemed to just be two long chases sequences spliced together and timed differently than in the movie (i think, correct me if i'm wrong). Doki Doki's video was pretty average.

However, considering they made the videos in two hours, they both did a great job. :D
Awesome! I hate to say it, but I was rooting for him since he is a friend of mine.

Tim: Welcome to the L337 (j/k) Iron Chef world...Iron Chef ACen welcomes you Iron Chef Fanime :)

Justin: I bet you made a great video and I hope you both had fun regardless.

As for the videos, as you said so yourself, Justin's video didn't use guns as much and from my understanding of the judging, the use of the theme and secret ingredient are VERY important. Given the overall video can't suck, but these two things are very important and maybe that is why Justin lost. I can't wait to see either of them and how badly they spank mine (like Hsien's did).

Yeah, you gotta keep in mind that they had two hours and just how little you can do in that time. I bet both are great though since both are very capable editors.

Strange that two challengers (myself and Tim) have won this year. Out of the three contests, that just leaves AWA...if the trend continues looks like we'll be welcoming a new AWA Iron Chef (Ian) :)

Thanks again for a quick post on this!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:00 am

ugh, hate having to live up to expectations. What am I, j k rowling :P

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:07 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:ugh, hate having to live up to expectations. What am I, j k rowling :P
So yeah when is the next Shameless Rock coming out? ;)

Expectations...well I didn't live up to mine...you know...losing and I'm still here :)
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:14 am

dwchang wrote:So yeah when is the next Shameless Rock coming out? ;)
Watch out for a panel at AWA and you'll see :P

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:17 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
dwchang wrote:So yeah when is the next Shameless Rock coming out? ;)
Watch out for a panel at AWA and you'll see :P
Did you by chance tell me about this at JACON 3 weeks ago?...perhaps I should've just messaged you or PMed you...oh well...wow I sure de-railed the thread...
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:23 am

Maybe :)

Anyway, back to the topic of Iron Chef. These themed videos sound hard, I hope me and Hsien get a theme we can do pretty easily... like "crappy video" or something :P

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:27 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Maybe :)

Anyway, back to the topic of Iron Chef. These themed videos sound hard, I hope me and Hsien get a theme we can do pretty easily... like "crappy video" or something :P
" It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's Tricky!...it's Tricky! (Tricky!) Tricky! (Tricky!)"

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:30 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Maybe :)

Yeah theme does limit quite a bit (go figure). I think I lucked out when I got robots since there are SO many in anime and also I got err...robot anime. Guns is just so general and no anime FOCUSES on them like robots.

I imagine Patrick will pick an extra interesting theme for you guys since it IS AWA and all. Given, I don't know if "extra-interesting" is a good or bad thing...I mean something like "Magical schoolgirls" is interesting, but not good...oh man I cringe thinking about even watching all that source...

Patrick: You should do this just to be extra evil!

Curiously, was I the first to get a "theme" or did AWA in the past have them too? Man...always the guinnea pig :-P If it was the first year, I can see BIG differences in the ways you guys watch the sources to prepare and edit. It did for me at least. Also, as I mentioned above, the theme is VERY important to follow (just like the secret ingredient). I mean I'm sure you could make a good video, but it is imperative to have the theme overlying the entire thing...wow I am only telling you the obvious..I'm going to stop :).
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:38 am

You were the first to get a theme.

I think the reason for the change was awa 8 where Hsien made an upbeat drama video and Joe made a comedy/parody video. It's very difficult to judge two completely different kinds of videos like that. Both were well made but Hsiens won on artistic merit.

Hence, themes were created to allow easier juding as a video can be judged on how well it manages to fit the theme.

Return to “AMV Contests”