Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 pm

MJ- Idol-ology made the actual contest and was shown. But even if it had been one of the final videos, I believe it wouldn't have been allowed to win anything due to its having won at Bakuretsucon...

Dan- Sorry you missed the text-video. Quu was right, it was quite cool. Unfortunately, while it's listed in the DB, it's not up for download... :cry:
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed May 21, 2003 1:59 pm

Ashyukun wrote:MJ- Idol-ology made the actual contest and was shown. But even if it had been one of the final videos, I believe it wouldn't have been allowed to win anything due to its having won at Bakuretsucon...
Also I hate to say it MJ, but competition was VERY tough. There were A LOT of great videos...hell Always was even cut.

Oh and your song sucks :-P
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed May 21, 2003 4:08 pm

Ashyukun wrote:Dan- Sorry you missed the text-video. Quu was right, it was quite cool. Unfortunately, while it's listed in the DB, it's not up for download... :cry:
Liberi Fatali in Motion? Damn, it used to be up... and I don't have it anymore. :cry: It was one of my favorite videos too.

Anyway, congrats to all the winners.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by KagatoAMV » Wed May 21, 2003 4:26 pm

dwchang wrote: Original Concept:
Three Finalists:
1) Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid
2) Who Let the Fro's Out by Ashyukun (Note: Unsure on this one)
3) The Animatrix Reloaded by You Choose Sam, the Rest
Winner: Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid
Don't mean to doubt Daniel, but is this confirmed? Has there been an official list posted by Acen? or a list of what videos were shown?

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by dwchang » Wed May 21, 2003 4:31 pm

Studio Hybrid wrote:
dwchang wrote: Original Concept:
Three Finalists:
1) Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid
2) Who Let the Fro's Out by Ashyukun (Note: Unsure on this one)
3) The Animatrix Reloaded by You Choose Sam, the Rest
Winner: Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid
Don't mean to doubt Daniel, but is this confirmed? Has there been an official list posted by Acen? or a list of what videos were shown?
The reason I'm posting it is because well...there is no official post. I don't wanna continue to bash the contest (b/c I already talked about my frustrations), but...they have yet to release anything. The only post I've seen is on ACen's boards and it is just a copy and paste of my list here.

However, I am 100% sure that you won Best Original Concept. I distinctly remember seeing that one written on the sheet as the winner. Also, thankfully, it was the one we chose (the creator judges) unlike the others I talked about. You should probably mail them to get your trophy..it's quite pretty :).

Congratulations!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Wed May 21, 2003 9:07 pm

A few comments folks.

1) Bitching about "who" got "screwed" is unnecessary
2) The contest director was Michelle. Patrick was tech. Julius was basically the assistant.
3) The convention is less than a week old. Give people some time to get back to the important stuff (lives ^_^). You can't expect people to come on here and give some big nice well written discourse right after the con sometimes.
4) Criticism about the way the contest's judging or the manner in which the contest was run should be made at the Acen forums where other Acen staff who are in higher positions can read your feedback.
Go to "Programming/Events" at
http://www.acen.org/forums/

I have never been big on hearing complaints about how judging was wrong. Obviously this feels like a slap in the face to the person who got to feel happy about winning. What is better is if we discuss the process used to pick winners and if it was accurately followed. One of the key problems with Acen's judging has always been that it never seems to follow a set standard of rules and varies a little year by year. There was also no official document which outlined the manner in which judging phases would take place nor how they would inter-operate with each other. That being said one should not expect that one knows how judging phases actually work unless the contest director explicitly outlines it to them at some point.

So from now on let's focus on a fun discussion of the contest and its entries here while we move the feedback to a more appropriate place where people who NEED to see it will (i.e. All Acen staff).

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed May 21, 2003 10:01 pm

outlawed wrote:A few comments folks.

I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like anybody is bitching about who got screwed, nor is anyone blaming OtakuVideo / SailorDeath for the judging problems. Indeed, the only complaints that have been made are exactly what you listed.

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Wed May 21, 2003 10:27 pm

dwchang wrote:BTW Rich, just a suggestion, but I'd suggest not doing that for ACen. A lot of videos were cut for well...not following the rules. I don't think anyone realized (other than Ashyukun) that it was something tied to you, but basically at ACen they don't want anything on your vid that can tie it to you. They make bumpers for that. Basically it gives an unfair advantage, so all videos are instead made to look equal (with the bumpers).
Roger that. For the longest time I've resisted making stand-alone bumpers because I didn't want them chopped off. Putting the bug in the corner at the end ensures that everyone who sees it knows it's a JNV video.

But I can see how it'd be a no-no for blind judging. From now on I'll make bug-less versions for competition and bug-added versions for distro. Thanks for pointing it out.

jal0021
Org Profile

Post by jal0021 » Wed May 21, 2003 10:38 pm

Which guests did the final judging? I'm just curious.

Problems with the contest aside, I'm still ecstatic that Forever and Before was a finalist, especially if Drama was as strong a category as everyone is making it out to be. Euphoria and My Fading Voice, Your Distant Heart are both incredible videos, so I'm happy to have shared such good company. In particular, I remember downloading My Fading Voice the first day ShonenDizzyCow made it available on the .org and simply being floored by it...I watched it over and over those first few days. Same with Euphoria, in fact. I never thought I would have been competing directly with either of them at any point, especially with Forever and Before, which started out as a weird little experiment.

As for Trythil's "Always", I had yet to see it, but with all the buzz, I checked it out...great video, and I can understand everyone's disbelief at it being cut. Drama truly must have been tough.
-Jeff Lawson | <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=295">My Profile</a>

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Thu May 22, 2003 1:02 am

I didn't get to see Staff, Action, or Drama. But I did get to see Comedy and Theme. I have to say I was very impressed by some of the theme entries. Normally the theme hasn't been too successful at Acen for entries so a big congratulations for all who submitted to that category.

The Mezzo Forte vid was done nicely. The Akira video had probably the best 80's feel. Appropriate music was chosen for it that replicated similarities in the original anime. Daniel Chang's Glory of Love video was excellent. Without seeing the rest of the entries for this year I could say it would be worth consideration for Best of Show. The pacing was done well and there wasn't the usual re-hash or running out of scenes moments that many drama vids fall into. Plus I was happy that the music and themes in the AMV matched the original themes of the show(Escaflowne). Another vid I recall that I liked the concept of was the Pretty Sammy vid to "I know what boys like". Good idea but too much stretching with the shots of just Sammy. I would have liked to see it push the envelope and pull in some doujin. Such a nice twisted idea I was surprised I hadn't already thought of it. But I seem to pass up Tenchi footage a lot. Nice Job to all in that category.

As for myself the initial cut of Prime TanIME Project - Silver Spoons to Eva was "too hot for Acen" so the censored version was used. It was no surprise to me and that is why I provided two versions. I was happy to see some laughs in the Sunday crowd for it and some groans ^_^. Unfotunately the best money shot (literally!) was not available for audience reaction hehe.

I'm in the process of re-encoding all my old vids to mp4 file format. So I will probably see about uploading them sometime in the near future with the new ones.

Return to “AMV Contests”