Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Sat May 24, 2003 11:06 am

suberunker wrote:I'll have it up after Fanime. I'd like to see some fresh reactions to it when I attend that con, this is assuming it makes finals....::fingers crossed::, since I couldn't make ACen due to exams. Hehe...dang school doesn't give me enough time to work on AMVs...much less go see more.

suberunker
Groovy. We really enjoyed it- it was very artistic and different from what at least I'm used to seeing.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

suberunker
Org Profile

Post by suberunker » Sat May 24, 2003 2:48 pm

Groovy. We really enjoyed it- it was very artistic and different from what at least I'm used to seeing.
Awesome! That's exactly what I meant to do. Thanks for the feedback! :D

suberunker

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat May 24, 2003 7:15 pm

suberunker wrote:
Awesome! That's exactly what I meant to do. Thanks for the feedback! :D

suberunker
"Awesome" indeed. "The Two Shall Meet" had some of the best compositing I've ever seen in a music video, animated or live-action. I don't think you have to worry about Fanime finals...unless they don't like your style or something :P

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Sun May 25, 2003 8:44 pm

Question...

Say your videos were NOT seen at any public conventions before...
They have NOT won any awards before...
They are new...
You decide to send them to a bunch at once, not hoping for a slew of trophies, but hoping for people to just SEE them...

Is this considered..

Evil? ( :evil: )

I hope not... :cry:
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Sun May 25, 2003 8:50 pm

OmniStrata wrote:Question...

They are new...
You decide to send them to a bunch at once, not hoping for a slew of trophies, but hoping for people to just SEE them...

Is this considered..

Evil? ( :evil: )

I hope not... :cry:

Nope...that's what I did. Besides most of these conventions' deadlines are nearly around the same time so if you want to get your video out to them, send it to as many as you can at once.

Besides, like you I just want the exposure (provided they get it in time and don't have any problems playing it back)

suberunker
Org Profile

Post by suberunker » Sun May 25, 2003 9:23 pm

OmniStrata wrote:
Question...

They are new...

Is this considered..

Evil? ( )

I hope not...
Hmmm, I always thought that the idea of sending your AMVs to contests was to say "Here, I made these and I think they're worth showing to your convention goers. Please review and decide on whether it's definitely something people should see." The awards stand as just "We think it was an awesome effort! Here's something as a token of our appreciation for making this for us to see!"

suberunker

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Sun May 25, 2003 11:06 pm

I wouldn't say it would be considered evil. But... I'm personally not too fond of the 'shotgun' approach to sending in videos. I try to only send in videos to contests that I am actually going to be at to see the video shown and, if on some odd chance I actually win something, accept the award. And I generally am not going to cons on back-to-back weekends, so I usually can see how a video did and decide whether or not to send it to the next con. That's just the way I do it myself. There really isn't anything wrong with sending a video in to a bunch of cons around the same time... but at the same time, especially if you aren't actually going, it kind of sucks for those editors who actually take the time and money to go and support the con by attending it and paying for a membership who may not have their video shown because of lots of videos that were just sent in. I would love to see more cons weight the composition of the contests more towards the editors who are actually there, as long as the entries are a) good enough and b) don't violate any of the rules.

Also, with the 'shotgun' method of entering contests, just because a video was entered before the results of another contest could have been known, if a con has specific rules against videos that have won an award previously (ACen, Otakon, etc.) it should be expected that the video will be DQ'd.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by Ashyukun » Sun May 25, 2003 11:11 pm

Metro wrote: Talk about a surprise. I didn't even enter Pokemon Never Die into the contest :shock:

I supposedly entered Everyday and Glory. I screwed up uploading everyday, but I thought it got fixed.
Finally got around to DLing and watching Everyday- yeah, I'm 99% sure it was shown during the pre-screening as well. It's odd that Pokemon Never Die was entered as well if you didn't send it in. That would make the second time that I've been at a con and a video that the editor didn't send in was entered in the contest...
Bob 'Ash' Babcock

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Mon May 26, 2003 8:53 am

Thanks peeps ^_^

I am NOT considered evil... :D
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

PockyPrincessDarcy
Org Profile

Post by PockyPrincessDarcy » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:43 am

hmmm...well I'm glad Acen's vid contest has become a conterversy! lol Something about that whole con that was fishy. I entered my vid in the comedy category. Appearently they disqualified me and didn't notify me, eventhough, I wrote an email when i sent the vid asking if everything was alright. I was disqualified for fanservice??! SOOOOO dumb!!! Especially since there was a vid called fanservice entered. Wish someone could give me en explanation. Did anyone else get disqualified too? I would have loved to see my vid on the big screen. *sigh* that is all I wanted. I didn't care about awards. I guess, there is always next time ;_; *cry*

PS Outlaw: your silver spoons video almost made my boyfriend pee his pants!! He was the one on saturday lauging so hard u could hardly hear the vid. He NEVER laughs like that. So, it was pretty damn funny!

The Escaflowne to the glory of love made me cry. It was horribly emotional and romantic! I looooooved it!
I really liked the Vandread vid too. I liked how the music vid artist was trying to show Hibiki's inside. It was powerful ^_^
The GTO vid under the staff category was pretty wacky. I was trying to convice my friend to watch gto and then he watched the vid and got interested in it. Thanks for doing a good representation of the anime.
Take on Me the Fushigi Yugi was up there with my favs too! It was sooooo well done! The consept of it was absolutly perfect! I liked the effects too.

congrads to all of u who entered and at least got to be shown at the convention! Be proud of your work and there is always next time! ^_~

Return to “AMV Contests”