Amateur AMV Contest Interest Polling

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Marmaladiva
Org Profile

Amateur AMV Contest Interest Polling

Post by Marmaladiva » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Hey Y'all!

I've been making AMVs for a couple years now, and as I've slowly been learning and leveling up my AMV skills, I've noticed it's really hard for new creators to break into the AMV scene at conventions. This is largely how a lot of people seem to garner views and attention for their heartfelt projects, and so it's always been disappointing to me that newer creators don't really have a place to be highlighted or feel like they're getting involved.

Because of this, I'm considering hosting an Amateur AMV Contest of my own at Sakuracon 2023! I want to create a space for new creators like myself to come together and feel proud about what they've made, and hopefully get to show their hard work to an audience. I'd like to have an idea though of how many new creators might actually be interested in sending video in for something like that. Is there anyone out there who'd want to participate?

I think categories would be kept mostly standard to what you'd see at a normal AMV contest, but there'd be a tenant that applicants could not have won an AMV contest in the past. (You could still have been a finalist)

For folks with more experience and more of a finger on the pulse of AMV contests, would you have any relevant suggestions or info?

troubleclef
Org Profile

Re: Amateur AMV Contest Interest Polling

Post by troubleclef » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:50 pm

Is this in collaboration with the current amv contest at Sakuracon or is this a separate venture? I think this is an admirable venture but I'd maybe collaborate with the very knowledgeable amv contest staff already at Sakura if you want to put on such an event!

Marmaladiva
Org Profile

Post by Marmaladiva » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:10 pm

I admit I just got the idea today! So I haven't approached Sakuracon yet. I thought "why isn't there an amateur section like for cosplay contests...wait, why don't I MAKE and amateur section!?" and just posted here haha. Honestly, I don't know any other amateur amv makers, so part of me wondered if I'm just a rare species, and a whole event wouldn't have enough submissions anyways. But you're right, I should totally reach out!

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:28 am

Here in Austria the two largest local conventions host an beginner category. It is very well received and we get about 15 to 20 entries each year. Remember we are a small country with a population of about 8 million people and maybe 100 active AMV editors. It brings some great talent forward. I also like to watch the beginner's category personally. They have a different approach to the medium and often just do stuff, you know? Some edit just for the sake of the idea, even if it doesn't turn out to be perfect. At the will of pure animation fandom. It's far from perfect, but it feels fresh to me.

Just brace yourselve to get a lot of entries with Imagine Dragons as source. hahaha
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Marmaladiva
Org Profile

Post by Marmaladiva » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:56 pm

Bauzi wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:28 am
Here in Austria the two largest local conventions host an beginner category. It is very well received and we get about 15 to 20 entries each year. Remember we are a small country with a population of about 8 million people and maybe 100 active AMV editors. It brings some great talent forward. I also like to watch the beginner's category personally. They have a different approach to the medium and often just do stuff, you know? Some edit just for the sake of the idea, even if it doesn't turn out to be perfect. At the will of pure animation fandom. It's far from perfect, but it feels fresh to me.

Just brace yourselve to get a lot of entries with Imagine Dragons as source. hahaha
Yeah!!! That's awesome!! As a beginner AMV maker I definitely feel that different approach vibe? Sometimes I don't even want to watch really pro ones or learn certain editing styles while working on a video cuz I worry it'll distract me from just wanting to tell the story I wanna tell, even if I'd like to learn more complicated techniques in the future.

Anywho, both kinds of contests are great but I'm happy to hear there are successful beginner AMV shows out there, and people that appreciate them so much!! It makes me hopeful for sure. And I'm not surprised on the Imagine Dragons popularity LOL. I always think of them as making "movie trailer" music, there's a lot of space for impact and adding visuals haha. I'll be surprised if I don't see any Florence and the Machine too.

always-drafts
Org Profile

Post by always-drafts » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:28 am

Because of this, I'm considering hosting an Amateur AMV Contest of my own at Sakuracon 2023! I want to create a space for new creators like myself to come together and feel proud about what they've made, and hopefully get to show their hard work to an audience. I'd like to have an idea though of how many new creators might actually be interested in sending video in for something like that. Is there anyone out there who'd want to participate?

I think categories would be kept mostly standard to what you'd see at a normal AMV contest, but there'd be a tenant that applicants could not have won an AMV contest in the past. (You could still have been a finalist)
I also think it's a great idea! I would definitely send video in for this. As of right now it sounds like a "normal" contest except that the video must not have won a Best [something], so as I understand it's not restricting to "amateurs" only. Not that I think restriction is really necessary, this already gives beginners a better chance to showcase their work and thus keeps people interested for longer. Also I don't know much so I'm a bit curious, what would be the challenges of organizing such a contest?
Yeah!!! That's awesome!! As a beginner AMV maker I definitely feel that different approach vibe? Sometimes I don't even want to watch really pro ones or learn certain editing styles while working on a video cuz I worry it'll distract me from just wanting to tell the story I wanna tell, even if I'd like to learn more complicated techniques in the future.
When I make a video, I force myself to apply something new so I can keep learning, but I totally get it about the distraction thing. I try to use a good AMV that has a similar feel/style as a reference and learn from it, but even one good AMV has a lot more than I can absorb before feeling frustrated, so at some point I just decide to stop trying new things and wrap it up...
Guilty of this as well :sweat:

Cirera
Org Profile

Post by Cirera » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:17 am

I concur with troubleclef, I'd contact the Sakuracon AMV people first! Definitely something worth considering, I think a lot of people would like this idea.

Return to “AMV Contests”