PopCult Anime Convention 2022 AMV Contest!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
KeiichiFace
Org Profile

PopCult Anime Convention 2022 AMV Contest!

Post by KeiichiFace » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Hi everyone!

I can't believe I didn't make this sooner--absolutely forgot. I'm too spacey lately.

PopCult Anime Convention will be happening at the Westin Waltham Boston on August 27th and August 28th. This year, we're rocking a retro theme! That means that there will be an entire category of retro-themed AMVs for the contest.

Retro rules, taken from the greater AMV rules listed below:
***RETRO videos are videos using a source that primarily aired prior to 2000. You may use any music, but “bonus points” will be awarded during judging to music that also premiered prior to 2000. (If your anime carried into the early 2000s a bit but started before that--for example, Cardcaptor Sakura--that's a-okay. Please don't send videos based around anime that started in 2000 or later!)

Here are our AMV Contest rules for 2022:
Spoiler :
General Rules
1. The deadline is June 26, 2022, at 11:59pm EST.

2. Minimum specifications:
a. All video submissions must be at least 720p. Anything lower resolution will not be accepted. Your footage quality may affect your overall chances of getting into the contest. Make sure you check for artifacting, stray frames, etc.
b. Please try to keep your video file size smaller than 350mb. Zarx264gui is a free and straightforward program used to compress large file sizes; please search for tutorials should you need any (Google is your friend!).
c. Your entry should be at least 75% animation or video game footage that originated in Japan. If your multi-anime video features a few seconds of Korra, that’s fine. If your video is entirely Avatar the Last Airbender, that’s not fine (but I’m sure it’s a great vid!).
d. Videos must be in a format that can be read by VLC Media Player.

3. UPDATED: Every participant is allowed two (2) entries. If you are submitting to our "Con Theme" award (see below), you may submit an additional video. Being listed on a multi-editor project (MEP) video submitted counts as one of your video entries.

4. If possible, title your entry file names as follows: “Editor Name – Video Title – Song – Artist.mp4”
a. Editor name: Your name as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
b. Video title: Your video title as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
c. Song: The name of the song.
d. Artist: The name of who sings the song/where you got the audio from.

5. Acceptable framerates are 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, and 30. If your video does not meet these specifications, it may/will be converted to the nearest acceptable framerate.

6. Please check over your submission form before sending it in. Do not send in a submission form without a video link! UPDATE: As of 2019, we will no longer be "hunting down" information that was not included in the initial entry. This means that if your video wins but you fail to provide an accurate or complete address, you will not receive your award.

7. All submissions must be made over a cloud-based file sharing service that is accessible to the public (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.).

8. No studio bumpers or credits before or after your video. Your video may be disqualified for containing these.

9. The following are grounds for immediate disqualification:
a. Subtitles (including “fansubs”) of any nature (if the subtitles are added by the editor for the video, it will be considered on a case-by-case basis);
b. Audio from a commercial English-language dub;
c. Studio logos, TV watermarks, video encoder watermarks—pretty much any logo or watermark that you did not put for parody purposes;
d. Sexually explicit lyrics, excessive curse words (keep it PG-13), or otherwise explicit lyrics;
***Nudity, sexual content, or excessive gore/violence will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but it will usually get you disqualified.

10. Freshness Rule: AMVs must have premiered on or after July 1st, 2020. This includes online and at-convention premieres.

11. The categories this year are:
a. Drama
b. Action
c. Romance
d. Upbeat/Fun
e. Comedy
f. Con Theme: RETRO
Should any of these categories fail to receive an adequate number of submissions, quality or quantity, the AMV Judge Panel reserves the right to alter video category specifications.
***RETRO videos are videos using a source that primarily aired prior to 2000. You may use any music, but “bonus points” will be awarded during judging to music that also premiered prior to 2000. (If your anime carried into the early 2000s a bit but started before that--for example, Cardcaptor Sakura--that's a-okay. Please don't send videos around anime that started in 2000 or later!)

12. Finalists will be determined by a panel of judges. It is a blind selection; please do not put anything in your AMV that includes your studio, name, etc.

13. PopCult Anime Convention staff, as well as any editor contributing to judging, are not permitted to be considered in the contest.

14. By submitting to the PopCult Anime Convention AMV contest, you agree to your video being used at future PopCult Anime Conventions.

15. The AMV Contest Coordinator reserves the right to reject a video on any basis without warning.
SUBMISSION FORM: https://forms.gle/EuM4QTsBLMjqK2h39

Happy to answer any questions or help out in any way I can! Thank you for submitting! :D

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Convention 2022 AMV Contest!

Post by Zeonic Freak » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Dropped in two retros and and another one!

TheDestineeAMV
Org Profile

Post by TheDestineeAMV » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm

Submitted!

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:42 pm

just letting you know I'm currently working on a retro AMV that I hope to finish by the deadline :D

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Post by KeiichiFace » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:40 pm

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your entries.

I wanted to let everyone know that we are short on comedy and romance videos, and need some more in order to keep those categories! Because of this, I am re-opening the submission pool for comedy and romance videos only. I will keep it open until July 31st. Because this is a special circumstance, you will be allowed to submit an extra comedy and extra romance regardless of the number of videos you previously submitted.

Link here: https://forms.gle/KVeVtRDrsvmmrtsdA

Thank you all so much! Hoping for a great convention this year. Stay safe and healthy!

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:52 pm

Form is still closed.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Post by KeiichiFace » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Yup! Just fixed that. Thanks!

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:38 pm

sent you a romance vid

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:02 am

Finalists when :D

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:53 am

Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:02 am
Finalists when :D
Considering the extended deadline for comedy and romance is July 31st, probably not soon...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”