Sakura-Con 2022 AMV Contest! - DEADLINE: Friday, February 25th

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
XStylus
Org Profile

Re: Sakura-Con 2022 AMV Contest! - DEADLINE: Friday, February 25th

Post by XStylus » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:20 pm

The Sakura-Con 2022 AMV Contest team is proud to announce...

THE FINALIST ROSTER!

Some quick stats: We accepted a total of 161 entries from 85 unique entrants. Of those, 40 entries from 30 of those participants shall advance to the finals exhibition.

Below is the list of entrants who have at least one or more AMVs advancing to the finals. (If more than one, the bracketed number indicates how many.)

DopplerDo
drewaconclusion [3]
Kireblue
FanEditz
hamstar138 [2]
Honou Productions (LantisEscudo)
Ileia
James Blond
BecauseImBored1 [2]
Kirbygal [2]
l33tmeatwad [2]
Lelani
MadMegatax [2]
Milan21
Nashironeko
Opner
PerkyPastry
Phlashbak
Pwcagal
Rider4Z [3]
Sean.PNG
Silent Hero Studios
SilkAMV
SonsofKorhal9
TakeshiAMV
TheLazyDaze [2]
Tigrin
Trenzilla
troubleclef
Winterblade AMVs

For those of you who don't see your name in the above list, don't forget that we have a pre-show during audience seating, so there is a chance your entry might still play on our big screen! If you will be attending Sakura-Con, let us know! If the schedule permits, we will do our best to fit your best scoring entry into our pre-show.

Lastly, we extend our heartfelt thanks to all of this year's participants. We hope to see many of you in person (at long last) at Sakura-Con 2022 this year, and we hope you're looking forward to a great event!
Last edited by Kireblue on Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the legal names for 2 entrants at their request
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Perhaps the greatest challenge for any event is to realize when you’ve messed up. It is an even greater challenge to publicly come clean about it and commit to fixing the problem. We, the Sakura-Con AMV team, have always endeavored to uphold the highest standards for the Sakura-Con AMV contest.

Recently, we have come to the realization that we have been doing a terrible dis-service to our AMV Creators and the AMV Community, and we would like to address and correct that now.

It has become abundantly clear that, after a careful review of the percentages of submissions to each of the respective categories, certain categories regularly received vastly more submissions than other categories, yet our Finalist selection process never accounted for that.

Little did we realize just how profound the issue was, even though the results were staring us right in the face.

For example, one particular category received nearly 50 entries, yet only six advanced to the finals, whereas another category received barely ten entries, yet four advanced to the finals.

Overall, this indicates a vast and utterly unfair imbalance. It stands to reason that if a category receives so many more entries than others, then that category is clearly in greater demand and deserves to be better represented. Conversely, a category that receives few entries merits less, as it is clearly in less demand.

Only one solution for correcting this imbalance will do. We are proud to announce that, starting next year we shall host no less than 20 Drama Finalists in next year’s AMV Contest. Furthermore, we shall be limiting less popular categories such as Humor to no more than two Finalist videos per year.

Like fools, we were blind to this issue for too long. We profoundly apologize to the many AMV Creators who had been unjustly affected, and we hope this adjustment will provide a better representation of the kind of contest that AMV Creators and fans crave. We appreciate your trust in us, and we will strive to do better in the future. Thank you.

Sincerely,
-The Sakura-Con AMV Team
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:48 pm

XStylus wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 pm
Only one solution for correcting this imbalance will do. We are proud to announce that, starting next year we shall host no less than 20 Drama Finalists in next year’s AMV Contest. Furthermore, we shall be limiting less popular categories such as Humor to no more than two Finalist videos per year.
Finally, someone who gets it. I commend Sakura-Con for being a shining beacon of light and setting an example for other contests to follow.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:26 am

XStylus wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 pm
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Perhaps the greatest challenge for any event is to realize when you’ve messed up. It is an even greater challenge to publicly come clean about it and commit to fixing the problem. We, the Sakura-Con AMV team, have always endeavored to uphold the highest standards for the Sakura-Con AMV contest.

Recently, we have come to the realization that we have been doing a terrible dis-service to our AMV Creators and the AMV Community, and we would like to address and correct that now.

It has become abundantly clear that, after a careful review of the percentages of submissions to each of the respective categories, certain categories regularly received vastly more submissions than other categories, yet our Finalist selection process never accounted for that.

Little did we realize just how profound the issue was, even though the results were staring us right in the face.

For example, one particular category received nearly 50 entries, yet only six advanced to the finals, whereas another category received barely ten entries, yet four advanced to the finals.

Overall, this indicates a vast and utterly unfair imbalance. It stands to reason that if a category receives so many more entries than others, then that category is clearly in greater demand and deserves to be better represented. Conversely, a category that receives few entries merits less, as it is clearly in less demand.

Like fools, we were blind to this issue for too long. We profoundly apologize to the many AMV Creators who had been unjustly affected, and we hope this adjustment will provide a better representation of the kind of contest that AMV Creators and fans crave. We appreciate your trust in us, and we will strive to do better in the future. Thank you.

Sincerely,
-The Sakura-Con AMV Team
I know this is just an April fool's joke but this does kinda sound like a legitimate issue.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:39 am

SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:26 am
I know this is just an April fool's joke but this does kinda sound like a legitimate issue.
See what ya did Troy? :rofl:

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:28 am

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but real talk... Coordinators of conventional (pun intended) AMV Contests must obey two masters: The editors, and the audience.

If we ran a contest wherein the majority of the show was Drama vids, audience attendance would shrink dramatically (pun again intended). It's an emotionally heavy category. It's not that audiences don't like drama vids, but there's only so many they'll sit through, especially if the promise of a fun payoff at the end (in the form of the Humor category) is diminished.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:14 am

XStylus wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:28 am
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but real talk... Coordinators of conventional (pun intended) AMV Contests must obey two masters: The editors, and the audience.

If we ran a contest wherein the majority of the show was Drama vids, audience attendance would shrink dramatically (pun again intended). It's an emotionally heavy category. It's not that audiences don't like drama vids, but there's only so many they'll sit through, especially if the promise of a fun payoff at the end (in the form of the Humor category) is diminished.
lol I see what you mean. I guess you made such a compelling case that I kinda bought it :shrug:

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:57 pm

ATTENTION 2020 & 2022 FINALISTS!

Very shortly, we'll be sending emails to you showing EXACTLY what your AMV info will look like on the ballots.

If changes need be made (such as to your name), this is the time to let us know. You've got TWO DAYS to reply, then they go to print!

Be watchin' yer emails. I'll be sending them out within the next hour or two.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:56 pm

XStylus wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:57 pm
ATTENTION 2020 & 2022 FINALISTS!

Very shortly, we'll be sending emails to you showing EXACTLY what your AMV info will look like on the ballots.

If changes need be made (such as to your name), this is the time to let us know. You've got TWO DAYS to reply, then they go to print!

Be watchin' yer emails. I'll be sending them out within the next hour or two.
I assume based on the timeline you said you sent these out, just wanted to say I never received anything.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:06 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:56 pm
I assume based on the timeline you said you sent these out, just wanted to say I never received anything.
Just got done sending out the 2020 emails. Chugging through 2022 now. It's a bit of a manual process so it's kinda slow.

Return to “AMV Contests”