Youmacon 2021 Fan Art Theater Competition - now with winners!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Youmacon 2021 Fan Art Theater Competition - now with winners!

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:43 pm
Yeah, same. I am not really comfortable having a "weird boner" award sitting out where anyone could see it. But at the same time, given the video that I entered... I get it.
This was the video I got it for :shrug:

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:30 pm

How do you include references to boners with footage of Homeward Bound? I'm mean my award fits my video, so if I just submit gun stuff I can just stick to winning the same award every year. You could just tape over the name of the award and put your own with a sharpie...

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Zeonic Freak wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:30 pm
How do you include references to boners with footage of Homeward Bound? I'm mean my award fits my video, so if I just submit gun stuff I can just stick to winning the same award every year. You could just tape over the name of the award and put your own with a sharpie...
I never received any physical award for it.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:42 am

Rider4Z wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Zeonic Freak wrote:
In 2012 you would have received a medal and a certificate along with it. I am pretty sure I handed it to you along with others I still had one year at AWA. I keep records of the medals (each are numbered) and I have it marked off as being delivered.

As for the award itself. It's a story we told during our AMA in our 2020 livestream. It was the inception of the award. Essentially, the judging session basically stopped after watching the video. The version we received as I remember did not have the images of Vucko censored (though if it did the implication was enough) and the combination of the brutality of the dog combined with the video itself left the judges speechless and unable to move on as we were processing what we had seen. After a short while of basically silence one of the judges exclaimed, "Welp, I have the weirdest boner right now!" which brought the whole group out of our silence and we were able to move forward with judging after a good laugh. It was decided that was what we wanted to give the video collectively and it's been a staple of our awards ever since as at least at one point one of the judges usually will say the phrase after watching a video.

Our award titles sometimes are just inside jokes amongst the judges based on what happens during the judging sessions, or they're references to the source material, sometimes very obscure refrences, or something funny one of the judges thought of in the heat of the moment. I try to let the judges come to the conclusions of what they want to give organically and try not to stifle their creativity and censor them at least to a certain extent.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: Youmacon 2021 Fan Art Theater Competition - Deadline Oct 2nd

Post by ngsilver » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:58 am

SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:52 am
ngsilver wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:47 am
She's gonna Ace that test! --- 032 --- Synaesthesia Productions --- My Everyday Vibes
thank you for choosing my video! but I'm really confused about that award title :shrug:
The judges felt the song choice fit in with a LoFi feel. So it's a reference to the LoFi music stream girl who's constantly studying for some test listening to LoFi.
ImageImageImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:48 pm

ngsilver wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:42 am
Rider4Z wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Zeonic Freak wrote:
In 2012 you would have received a medal and a certificate along with it. I am pretty sure I handed it to you along with others I still had one year at AWA. I keep records of the medals (each are numbered) and I have it marked off as being delivered.

As for the award itself. It's a story we told during our AMA in our 2020 livestream. It was the inception of the award. Essentially, the judging session basically stopped after watching the video. The version we received as I remember did not have the images of Vucko censored (though if it did the implication was enough) and the combination of the brutality of the dog combined with the video itself left the judges speechless and unable to move on as we were processing what we had seen. After a short while of basically silence one of the judges exclaimed, "Welp, I have the weirdest boner right now!" which brought the whole group out of our silence and we were able to move forward with judging after a good laugh. It was decided that was what we wanted to give the video collectively and it's been a staple of our awards ever since as at least at one point one of the judges usually will say the phrase after watching a video.

Our award titles sometimes are just inside jokes amongst the judges based on what happens during the judging sessions, or they're references to the source material, sometimes very obscure refrences, or something funny one of the judges thought of in the heat of the moment. I try to let the judges come to the conclusions of what they want to give organically and try not to stifle their creativity and censor them at least to a certain extent.
My bad you're right, I do have the medals - that was my mistake.
Spoiler :
I do wanna point out tho that the medals don't have any text on them, just the flame logo so I have forgotten where they're from and what they're for at times :oops:
That's great you guys have inside jokes about your judging events, but I'm not part of it so it doesn't resonate with me. A "weird boner" for a video about loving and caring for dogs? :| Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the intent behind it in that I basically broke the judges, it's just the title of the award I've always been uncomfortable with. And I never really got into this before because I didn't want to sound rude or unappreciative. :uhoh:

(I sent the censored version btw, I never made an uncensored version.)

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Re: Youmacon 2021 Fan Art Theater Competition - Deadline Oct 2nd

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:54 am

ngsilver wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:58 am
SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:52 am
ngsilver wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:47 am
She's gonna Ace that test! --- 032 --- Synaesthesia Productions --- My Everyday Vibes
thank you for choosing my video! but I'm really confused about that award title :shrug:
The judges felt the song choice fit in with a LoFi feel. So it's a reference to the LoFi music stream girl who's constantly studying for some test listening to LoFi.
naruhodo :up:

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 am

Have the awards been sent out yet?

Return to “AMV Contests”