WE'LL DO IT LIVE! - Otakon 2021 AMV Contest/Theater Info

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

Re: WE'LL DO IT LIVE! - Otakon 2021 AMV Contest/Theater Info

Post by VicBond007 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm

Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:19 pm
Is there a "freshness rule", like the entry has to have been made at a certain date?
There is not a "freshness rule". You can send in a video that was made in 1985, to the song "1985" (though we would have OTHER questions for you, TimeLord...) so long as said video didn't win a major award at an in-person con.

The other minor exceptions are the video can't have screened at a previous Otakon contest (we saw it already!) or have been featured as an Otakon AMV Contest non-finalists twice (after 2 years of trying, let's see something new!).
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:27 pm

Kireblue wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am
neko kitkat wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:29 am
Can I submit a video I also submitted to the Latin Flow Contest? I have 2 versions (English and Spanish) of the amv and only submitted the Spanish version to that contest. Not sure when their results are. But can I still submit the English version?
VicBond007 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm
We've always ignored awards issued by online contests, and that doesn't change this year, but it's especially important to note that this also takes into account cons that would have normally held in-person events, but couldn't this year. Ex: AWA 2020 was virtual-only. Even if your video won "Best in show, life, the universe, and everything", since it had no live in-person screening, we're treating it like any other online contest.
Since that contest only happened on Discord / Online, the results won't affect you eligibility
What he said.

Please pick which version you want to send though. Don't send both and make us decide! We'll pick the wrong one :(
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Kireblue wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am
neko kitkat wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:29 am
Can I submit a video I also submitted to the Latin Flow Contest? I have 2 versions (English and Spanish) of the amv and only submitted the Spanish version to that contest. Not sure when their results are. But can I still submit the English version?
VicBond007 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm
We've always ignored awards issued by online contests, and that doesn't change this year, but it's especially important to note that this also takes into account cons that would have normally held in-person events, but couldn't this year. Ex: AWA 2020 was virtual-only. Even if your video won "Best in show, life, the universe, and everything", since it had no live in-person screening, we're treating it like any other online contest.
Since that contest only happened on Discord / Online, the results won't affect you eligibility
Ok thank you so much!

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm
Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:19 pm
Is there a "freshness rule", like the entry has to have been made at a certain date?
There is not a "freshness rule". You can send in a video that was made in 1985, to the song "1985" (though we would have OTHER questions for you, TimeLord...) so long as said video didn't win a major award at an in-person con.

The other minor exceptions are the video can't have screened at a previous Otakon contest (we saw it already!) or have been featured as an Otakon AMV Contest non-finalists twice (after 2 years of trying, let's see something new!).
Coolness!
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:37 am

Panelist submission deadline looks like it got moved to 6/20. Nobody tells me anything :-/
If you want to run an AMV panel, take a shot at some free badges!

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:04 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:37 am
Panelist submission deadline looks like it got moved to 6/20. Nobody tells me anything :-/
When I first read this, I thought it was for the submissions for the AMV Contest. :sweat:

VRSaskayzx
Org Profile

Post by VRSaskayzx » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 pm

I didn't see this but are there any rules against editors adding their name as a watermark to the video? thinking of submitting an older video but I tend to add those to deal with video theft on youtube. for references in my case it is a 50% opacity small white watermark on the bottom right of the video.

sorry for the silly question and thanks.
editing my life away.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:52 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:37 am
Does it also come with airfare and hotel accommodations? Cuz I’ll run all the panels you want :lol:

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17 am

VRSaskayzx wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 pm
I didn't see this but are there any rules against editors adding their name as a watermark to the video? thinking of submitting an older video but I tend to add those to deal with video theft on youtube. for references in my case it is a 50% opacity small white watermark on the bottom right of the video.

sorry for the silly question and thanks.
Other cons definitely do have harsh rules against such, but if I understand Otakon's rules correctly they seem a bit more libertarian in that they won't actually DQ your vid for it (unless it resembles an actual legit trademark), it'd likely just get judged very poorly.

Frankly though, there's no need. What you send to Otakon doesn't get distributed publicly. Thus it seems a silly move to hamstring your video by intentionally blemishing it when it'll be up against fierce competition.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

PerkyPastry
Org Profile

Post by PerkyPastry » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 am

XStylus wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17 am

Frankly though, there's no need. What you send to Otakon doesn't get distributed publicly. Thus it seems a silly move to hamstring your video by intentionally blemishing it when it'll be up against fierce competition.
I think what VRSaskayzx was saying is that since it’s an older video they no longer have the raw files without the watermark, so they’d either have to submit it as-is or not at all (or I guess they could crop it out but it probably wouldn’t look good lol).

Return to “AMV Contests”