Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2020 Pro reviews!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
neko kitkat
Org Profile

Re: Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2020 Pro reviews!

Post by neko kitkat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Sorry for the delay. Here are my reviews. Sorry for any typos. Enjoy!
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Christmas Eve Carol-I must admit I have seen a ton of amvs to this song. But this is the first time I actually have seen a Christmas amv to the song itself XD. Wonderful job! I haven't seen this iteration of the Christmas carol but now I want too. Thats always a good sign in my book. You amv was engaging well edited and felt fresh to me. I loved the simplicity of it and I am excited to look this movie up later as the holiday rolls around.

A Servants Fate- I admit I am not a huge fan of Fate amvs but this one was very well done. I loved the cuts to the beats and how you progressively show the turmoil the servants go throughout the amv and the build up to the action and emotional weight they go through. The last minute is really spectacularly edited and makes me jealous with how its so fluid with the movements to the beat. Great work!

Awaken- Action amvs are extremely difficult to execute. You did a wonderful job here. I am so happy I finally saw this movie so I can say you did a great job with song choice and scene selection. I love the use of blur to "past scenes"around the 2 minute mark and the build up the final chorus. I also love how you edit the visuals to hit with the beats in certain areas, like the glass shattering. I love that. The last scene was just the cherry on top! Image

Bad Guy- I have said this before and I will say it again Live action is extremely hard to work with. You did so fantastically. The song while not my cup of tea I have to say you timed it really well. Especially the first few seconds really captured my attention right away and kept me engaged throughout the whole amv. I admit I did have turn down the audio down a bit. It's mostly that synthesizer that hurts my ears. But overall you have a extremely strong amv and while not my taste in music you defiantly hit this out of the park. Just great work all around.

Bad Piece- Lol I am just at a loss for words. Great lip sync and a funny reiteration of Sad Piece. Its just perfect and hilariously fits One piece as well. This was just fun XD

Battlefield- I really love the flow of this amv. Using games can be difficult and you did a fantastic job here. I liked how even though it was action heavy it was more somber in tone. It did feel a little more forced towards the end in some areas just a few scenes here and there but transitions and scene selection seemed pretty spot on. Good job! Also not sure but it sounds like the song was pitched? Not sure if that was intentional or not, didn't ruin my experience of the amv was just curious. Image

BIG WIN- Never seen this anime before but see a ton of amvs to it and I loving how versatile you are with the footage. I never knew it even went in so many different styles like chibi. So now I am just in awe that its so unique in compared to others I have seen to this anime. Timing and lip sync are great. Overall just a fun and silly vid XD Good job! Image

Bitter Lamentations- Ok I know most people don't care for County but I have a huge soft spot for it. I never played this game but the song and tone worked wonders with the visuals. I am also a sucker for amvs focusing on familial relationships. You showed how much the characters have gone through with and for each other. Its emotional and engaging. There is a certain warmth to this amv where I can tell as a editor you really loved the source, it really shines through the the editing that this was something you were passionate about.

Boy vs. Brain- I love how this showed the darker and more emotional and heart wrenching parts of the series. I love the focus on Steven's emotions. The editing is so fluid and spot on. Having edited to Steven universe before I think keeping consistent flow with the music and not make it look a bit clunky is hard. But not once was there any of tat in here. It was just so smooth with the transitions. Its just stunning how well you made this work.

Can Anybody Hear me- I haven't seen this movie yet. But I will hopefully soon! But yeah I love the little blue hedgehog XD Sonic will always have a special place in my heart. Live action is always tricky to work with but I believe you did a great job. Timing was great and the scenes seemed to work with the scenes lyrically and emotionally. As a sonic fan this made me so happy!

Dance- I love this! Reminds me of early 2010's amvs and now I just want to make a dance amv XD. I think some of the best amvs concepts inspire others. I love that you used so many different types of dancing styles too. even using more obscure or not as used sources for a dancing amv. I think my only criticism for the amv is that the animes felt to segmented away from each other? It feels a little bit like a MEP, which is by no means a bad thing. Just felt more separated and a little less integrated. But its more of a nitpick. I love the flow and transitions and the dancing the beats. It was really well constructed and I enjoyed this concept so much!

Do You Know What's Going On- I love it when video use audio from the source over laying in a amv. Its just gives the amv a different vibe and feeling all together. I love the old footage take on this and the build up to the intensity of the situation and the audio in tandem. Its a bit surreal take considering whats going on right now but I think you did a fantastic job here.

Dysphoria- Wow. just....WOW. Ok so this was just so beautifully executed and extremely well edited. The effects and text and overlays just blew my mind. I can tell a lot of hard work and effort was put into this amv. However, this did make me feel ill afterwards. Like my head was spinning and I felt both anxious and my chest felt tight. My stomach feels like it did a few back flips. I think its saying something when you can feel yourself be physically affected by video. Its THAT level of execution, but I probably won't be able to watch it much or at all again without being a bit more prepared. I'm still trying to adjust from the rush and feelings it washed over me.

Esoterra- I love this amv. Its very surreal and i love the atmospheric feel of it. I love the use of overlays and composition of scenes and layers you chose to compliment each part. Everything flowed really well and you integrated so many different styles together effortlessly. Some parts looks a bit clunky? not sure if thats the right word, its more of a nitpick and I dunno how to describe it well. But some transitions the panning looked a little forced but Idk how to overlay like this and I don't know if it was just a really hard transition or not. But those were just very minor details on a technical level that I myself have no knowledge of. This was a beautiful piece and I found myself watching on a loop more than I can count XD. Wonderful work

F Society- This one I had a hard time getting though. It was by no means a bad amv. In-fact it was impeccably timed and one of the best live action amvs I have seen. It was just hard as it stand this year has been a rough year. This pretty sums up what myself and others have been feeling. I haven't see the source butt he juxtaposition of real life events with it really hit hard. Which was what i feel was the point. I personally can't stand looking at Trump so just seeing him here and there in the video just made me feel a influx of emotions. Which I believe was kinda the point. You made a excellent video even though it made em uncomfortable. I use amvs as way to to escape, while others can use it as a way to voice. Good job.

Fever Dream- I really love the animation and the visuals here. I think you combined the song with the source very well. Some timing issues here and there but overall worked fairly well. I love of monsters and men and This song is one of my favorites off their new album so this already got me happy XD.

Four-footed Family- This was just adorable. Its also made me so happy and just so simple and cute. I feel like I am wrapped up fluffy blankets and drinking hot coco. Its that kinda warmth I feel here. Simple yet effective and so sweet and warm. great timing and loved it X3

Friend.exe- I love how visually pleasing this amv is. I don't know anything about this anime but I am loving the visuals with the music. I can terll there was a lot of thought and effort put into this . There clearly was a lot of love for the source material. The timing and beats worked so well and I loved your use of effects and masks. Fantastic work!

Going Home- This was tribute full of love and admiration. I am living for it! Just so much emotion and thought were put behind each scene choice and just the overwhelming amount of love and heart behind each edit definitely showed. I actually had to show my little brother whose a huge steven universe fan and said he just loved it and we had to watch it several times ina row. It was very impactful and you put a lot of effort into this. Thank you. Really loved it!One of my favorite entries this year.

Heartdance- This was such a sweet and heartfelt tribute to HTTYD franchise. It was really sentimental and beautifully done. It definitely made my heart melt and want to rewatch all the movies. It felt very floaty, not just visually but the song itself was uplifting and felt like one would be on the clouds. Nothing much to say other than great timing and hitting the emotional beats. Wonderful work!

Hellsing Eternal- I love me a good anime trailer! This was extremely well done and you matched the scenes with audio really well! Every beat and scene felt like it was made for the series! Great sync and timing too! Wonderful work!

Hurricane- Mixing Manga with anime can be tricky But it think you did well here. There was some areas i felt could have had some effects or overlays. I do like the transitions from the manga to anime and worked out well. I really love familial relationships so thats always great in my book XD good work!

Infinite Youth- I LOVED THIS. Just pure love. I am over the moon with this amv. It made me so happy and just filled me with nostalgia and joy and I loved how you paced things and your use of effects tastefully. This is definitely a favorite of mine. Thank you for creating such a heartwarming amv. It really made me happy.

Iron Bond- I love me good family amvs XD I love seeing amvs focusing on Ed and Al's relationship. Great timing and I loved the build up. Scenes worked really well and this song worked so well for them! I love the subtle effects and the pacing was extremely well done. I really enjoyed this amv and you did a fantastic job!

Iron Resolve- I love Avatar and Zuko XD It was great character tribute. I love the use of mute colors and slowly building to more color towards the end when the audio from the show kicks in. then back to the more gray color pallet as it leads off to the end. Audio can be very tricky to work with and can be a hit or miss. I think you did so fairly well. I think maybe adding some audio in beginning would have helped the transition into the audio later on. But it was by no means a deal breaker for me. Great job on scene selection as well. Keep up the good work!

Language- LOL this just made me laugh. But yeah I think this show have been put into the mature category cause of language. Timing was great and worked well! the Disneyworld part had me cracking up. Great timing and scene section was on point.

Legends Never Die- No idea what this show is but the timing was spot on XD and silly XD

Milion Miles Away- I think visually this worked really well with the song. It was very simple but effective. The tone definitely gave a sense of solemn isolation. only issue I saw, which might be just from the source in general was the frame rate was a bit choppy in some areas. But that in no way ruined the amv as whole. Great work!

Mobius Trip- Oh boy was this trippy. Timing was good and the scenes seemed to work. But yeah this was trip. I am very curious on the source but Idk if I will actually watch it XD. Loved the flow and transitions and everything worked seamlessly despite how odd visually the video was XD

My Crew- I never thought this song working to One Piece and OMG is it perfect. I LOVE this amv. There was a lot of thought about the sentimental scenes to work with the crews past and who they have become and are becoming. The timing was great and I think you pulled together a wonderful tribute. My only nitpick is the use of the movie at the end cause it seemed a little tacked on but it was more of a minor thing for me as I have been reading the manga and would have liked to see more scenes that happen in the series rather than the films. But fantastic work!

One Trick Pony- I love the chaos of this amv and I didn't realize towards the end you referenced amvs from previous years. This was fun and I enjoyed it quite a bit. had to rewatch it to understand all the references XD. Good work and timing was great!

Painful- This was a pretty good action amv. I suck at action myself but I believe you did a good job here. The song isn't my cup of tea bit I think the song worked with the heavy action and intensity of the animation. Your timing towards the end was great too.

Rallyy- I LOVE the intro into this amv. The cut out where so reminiscent of older crime shows and I just loved the recreation. Instant hook for me. I like the use of the older series with this audio. I love how you matched the car scenes with the audio and cars sounds.It worked really well and was a very unique amv for me. Only thing that could use a little touch up was the the transition from text to the last scene. Since the text was a little pixelated. But didn't really ruin the video. just more of a nitpick on my end. Over great work!

The Great Gatsby- I still need to see Baccano. But man does this work with the audio so well! Your lip sync was great and the scenes matched the audio really well. Trailers are always difficult for me but I think you pulled this off perfectly. Everything was synced and timed with the audio wonderfully. Great job!

This is Trash- But its cute trash XD

Too Many Editors- This was such a fun and silly video I loved it. It's a nice shout out to so many editors! It was very sweet and kind of you!

Totally a Legit Video- lol oh my XD good timing and lip sync though! Nice troll

Unbound- I haven't seen this series but I love the build up. The music seems to work with the series visually. That drum beat in the beginning was Just perfect! It really seems like a period piece in a way. I also like the training of the kids juxtaposed with the adults fighting. really shows how this world works and how things are mostly about war and survival. I think you captured the drama and tragedy of it all as well. The timing was great and you did a good job here. I feel the ending could have been a bit different as the flashing faces on the sword felt a bit jarring. But that's more of nitpick and personal preference on my end to have a more slow end then rapid movement. Either way great work!

Une Priere- I LOVE FRUITS BASKET! I thought this was extremely clever and worked both literally and figuratively with the series. Plus its a Disney song and That give you extra brownie points for me XD Regardless this was well edited and the scenes and timing where on point. I loved how each section ft with particular characters and their relation to Akito being god. I can tell you put a lot of thought and love into this video and it shows. Fantastic work you did here!

Utena Vu- I haven't seen the Utena Movie, though I really should XD this seems like a fun edit. It was simple and seemed to focus on the car race scene I have seen in amvs before. I think if you have more cuts would be nice and maybe some pans. But overall was a nice vid.

Watch The Sky- I liked the idea of this amv. It was unique and interesting. But the kazoo music was getting a bit annoying towards the ending. I am just not a fan of this kind of music. It was beautifully edited and worked well. and I liked the use of multiple sources, But yeah the kazoo was hard to get over for me. But seriously wonderful work!
Image Image

What We Mean when We Say We'd Give Up Everything- I love Utena, though I still haven't seen the movie. This was just amazing. The editing was so fluid and the sync was just top notch. Everything was just edited so perfectly it was just mesmerizing to witness. Clearly you have a love for the material and you did a fantastic tribute to the movie here. Really loved this entry. Keep up the great work!

Yes I know I'm a Wolf- I really like the darker and more somber feel of this amv. I haven't seen this show but I think you showed the struggle of the wolf very well. I like the build up to the end and your scene selection was great. I feel you capture emotion and there was a lot of thought into your choice of scenes. I feel you could have used a few pans here and there but its more of personal preference to add more movement in the beginning. Other than that I think you have a solid amv here. Great work!

Your Hand in Mine- This made me so happy and made me smile so much. Its such a beautiful tribute to the movie. I love the simplicity of this. There was a lot of love and warmth behind this and I could just feel it radiating in the edit. Fantastic work!

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm not much of a critic cuz I'm still a bit of a novice myself.
This year's AWA turnout was pretty good! I'd be lying if I said I didn't know what to say, soooo:
Spoiler :
A Christmas Eve Carol: I love this song! Never saw this source though. But still, it was pretty good.

A Servant's Fate: I'm hooked on this entry! The zoom out scenes seemed a little slow, but everything else was FIRE!!! Perfect mix and theme for the Fate series!

Awaken: The would-be official anthem for Wonder Woman if considered. Good choice!

Bad Guy: Someone ACTUALLY freakin' used HOBBS & SHAW! I LOVE IT!!! Dope use of cuts and Brixton shots!

Bad Piece: I'm just wondering and picturing Sean's face right now, so I'll use these: :o :shock: :lol: :o :shock: :lol:

Battlefield: I get it. Honestly, I do, even if the song is Nightcore. But the repeated scenes, and lack of sync kinda threw me off.

BIG WIN: I just looked up the song and I finally get it! HAHA! :lol: :D Nice one!

Bitter Lamentations: Never played this, but overall, it's touchy-feely (yet very violent, obvi) video about a daughter and father relationship! Not bad.

Boy vs. Brain: Why didn't I think of matching Steven's voice w/ SU? This was so intense and so well done.

Can Anybody Hear Me: This was a solid video. Could definitely feel the feels here. Haven't seen it yet, but planning on it.

Dance: Nice effects and transitions at the beginning.

Dissociate [MATURE]: .................Umm...............

Do You Know What's Going On?: Yes, I do. And frankly, because I don't watch this show, this felt too real... but in a good way. Props on the VHS effects!

Dyshoria: The trippier, the more chances others will love disoriented videos. This was actually pretty well done! Nice masks and text effects, too.

Esoterra: I love the giant masks and crossfades in this. Also trippy. Dope.

F Society: Damn. This was pretty intense, but still well done. :up:

Fever Dream: Dope sync and gr8 use of source to fit the song. I love listening to OMAM!

Four-Footed Family: *clutching my chest* My heart.....!

Friend.exe: Honestly, this song kinda creeps me out, but that just means u used a good source for this. Not bad.

Going Home: Another good-feely SUMAV. Felt good to watch.

Heartdance: Dope tribute! This was heartwarming.

Hellsing Eternal: Nice trailer. Matches perfectly w/ the anime.

Hurricane: It's a pretty solid dram/sentimental amv/mmv. It's hard to move manga panels around, but this was pretty well done.

I'm (Not) Myself [MATURE]: As Perfect Blue AMVs go, this was pretty good. Not exactly a fan of psych-thriller stuff myself, but this itself well-edited.

Infinite Youth: I. Freakin'. Love. This. :D :lol: :) :up:

Iron Bond: An unexpected song choice for FMA, but nicely done altogether.

Iron Resolve: Solid zuko vid :up: . Solid.

Language: *tearing up at the beauty of this video*

Legends Never Die: Title kinda threw me off, but I get the concept. Nice.

Million Miles Away: I've been wanting to see this source for a while. Otherwise, nicely edited.

MobiusTrip: i have yet to actually watch this, but this looked really good. Trippin'.

My Crew: I love OP AMVs, and this was pretty well edited! Emotional w/ some cool action scenes, nice. A bit of lip flap in the middle, though, but even so, everything else was awesome!

one trick pony: funny AND realistic... not bad.

Painful: Action-packed w/ dope sync cuts, noice!

Rallyy: Not bad.

The Great Gatsby: I get the theme and point of it... just not the Gatsby part. Ah well.

This is Trash: Yes.... apparently it is. :|

Too Many Editors: What am I, chopped liver?? lol, seriously though, this was pretty funny.

Totally a legit video: Oh, for sure.

Two for Tragedy MATURE: Not bad for an instrumental epic.

Unbound: Pretty well done as far as viking AMVs go.

Un Priere: My favorite part of this was the checkerboard scene with all the characters. Altogether, I really liked this one!

Utena Vu: Song was a bit loud, but not bad.

Watch the Sky: I found the theme of this oddly interesting. Music to my eyes AND ears.

What We Mean When We Say We’d Give Up Everything: Rapid and solid, nice.

Yes I Know I’m a Wolf: A really top profile on Legoshi! I love his charater so much! :)

Your Hand in Mine: This was adorable! :)
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm

Here's my reviews... I tried to do a mix of constructive criticism and what I felt was working. I hope it's helpful even for people who don't plan on editing their videos any further.

Also I included cat gifs.

Spoiler :
A Christmas Eve Carol - The Stingiest Man in Town - Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 1224)
I think it’s cool you chose an old school source that I’m not familiar with. But I’m not sure about the choice of song, it feels maybe too epic for this video source. The limited animation makes it hard to do any sort of internal sync, so it relies heavily on external sync, which can get a bit predictable. You also made some unusual editing choices, like cutting during a truck in/out or artificially inserting jumps in a zoom. I also wasn’t expecting for it to end on Scrooge’s grave. I think most people are familiar with Christmas Carol, but if you’re not, I’m not sure how much of the story comes across.

A Servants Fate - Fate Series - Tommee Profitt - Noble Blood
I really liked the impact of the external sync in this one, though sometimes I think it’s a bit distracting and too much, so you’ll want to limit how you use it for the best moments… like reduce how often you do this type of fast zoom cut transition by a sixth or something. Otherwise I felt this was a decent video, it just felt kind of like your standard Fate video that’s just a compilation of cool shots, which I think makes it hard for it stand out. Since I’m not familiar with the source, any additional connection with the characters and the lyrics was lost on me.

Awaken - Wonder Woman - Valerie Broussard, Pentakill, Ray Chen – Awaken
I thought this was a great profile and did such a good job matching the energy and the emotional flow of the song. This is one of the songs I ended up downloading from this year. The editing was clean and I don’t have any particular notes.

Bad Guy - Hobbs _ Shaw - Apashe - Battle Royale (Feat. Panther)
This AMV got me excited to see the movie. I do think some of the sync needs work and that it could go a lot “harder” than this; by which I mean, much tighter and more impactful sync, a lot more action and motion to match the intense energy of the song. Especially with moments like the first beat drop, what happens there is just not enough to really connect you with the song. So this missed the mark for me a bit, which is a shame. I did enjoy the movie, and appreciate that this didn’t really spoil it, so thanks!

Bad Piece - One Piece - Eric Cartman - Come sail away
This is kind of a funny parody, though since I’m not a One Piece fan, I wasn’t that big of a fan of the original to begin with. I think since your footage was limited of the ugly fake crew that it starts to wear out its welcome quickly and the joke gets kind of long in the tooth. Still, this combo works unexpectedly well, so kudos.

Battlefield - Destiny 2 - SVRCINA - Meet Me On The Battlefield (Nightcore remix)
This remix of the song really threw me off. You reused a lot of footage and the quality of it is not great. If you’re facing a lack of footage you might need to cut down the song. I kind of wish you’d used more gameplay rather than recycle cutscene/trailer footage. The like 20 seconds of black at the end makes it feel unfinished. There’s a missed opportunity with the lyrics.

BIG WIN - Monogatari series - Brent Black - Bye Donald
I appreciate that we don’t see the Orange Man anywhere in this video. This is a side of Monogatari I don’t usually see so I appreciated the zaniness of it. I think it’s pretty effective as it is and I think the silly wipe transitions and stuff just add to the derpiness of it. I also appreciated that it’s only over a minute long, it doesn’t overstay its welcome. This song sometimes get stuck in my head.

Bitter Lamentations - The Last of Us - First Aid Kit – Emmylou
I thought this was a sad, but solid narrative about Ellie and Joel. Kinda spoils the games though. I think the beginning is a bit rough and could use more polish, but after about 1:30 it flows pretty well. I’m not much of a country fan but I like this song.

Boy vs. Brain - Steven Universe - Zach Callison – Nightmare
I’m really not a fan of this type of music, but I thought this was a great character profile of Steven (not that I know, haven’t seen the show). I don’t usually see dramatic SU videos focused on Steven so I appreciated that part of it. I’m probably missing some of the connection with the lyrics since I don’t know the story, but I can still appreciate the impact of the visuals. My absolute favorite part is how you matched the visuals to the atmospheric part of the song at 2:46. It feels so perfect. I’m not really fan of fading to black twice at the end, it’s sort of an awkward fakeout.

Can Anybody Hear Me - Sonic the Hedgehog - Simple Plan – Astronaut
The song choice was kind of unexpected, I didn’t really anticipate a sort-of emo song with Sonic, but I think you mostly pull it off. I think the technicals need just a bit of work, since there’s some stray frame pops and awkward sync in places. If you can limit some of the shots with distracting lip sync that’d be good, but I realize that’s tough with sources like this. I think you could probably fade to black sooner at the end to fit better with the music, like one long fade as soon as the music’s gone.

Dance - various - David Bowie - Let’s Dance
The AWA Pro bits at the beginning and the end are very cute but I am guessing you’ll leave those out of the final upload. 😊 I really liked that you mostly used ballroom dancing and some unusual sources instead of the pop dancing you usually see in dance AMVs. However, there were a number of technical issues that diminished my enjoyment of the video. The sync is pretty slow in comparison to the music, and just mostly plays through a scene in a single source, and goes from one source to another. The mixed aspect ratios were also kind of distracting and sometimes skewed. I think possibly the sources could have been edited to mesh together better and mixed up to add more interest, especially since the run time is pushing 5 minutes. You have a lot of similar types of dances, so it would have been easy to do things like match cuts. Overall I think it’s a cool and original concept, just needs a better execution. My fiancé wants to know some of your sources used so he can watch the anime, haha.

Do you know what_s going on - The Walking Dead - In The House - In A Heartbeat
As a lapsed Walking Dead fan, I can’t really express how impressed I am with this video and the work it must have taken to put together. I think the technical all work well and the fake VHS footage and altered audio are convincing. You put together your own narrative that is relevant to where we are this year and it’s impressive. I think it is worth noting that I watched this with my fiancé (who is not at all a Walking Dead fan) and he got so distracted keeping up with the images and audio that the COVID reference went over his head. I took a moment to explain it to him but I wonder if he’d had a chance to watch the whole thing if he would have gotten it.

Dysphoria - various - JT Bruce - Hypnic Jerk
This kind of reminds me of an old AMV that I can’t recall. It has a very clear psychological concept to it… I think it’s designed to be a very uncomfortable and jarring watch with the visuals and audio, and it kind of turned me off the video. I have a tendency to find this sort of preachiness to the audience (“are you awake?”) to be sort of pretentious and annoying. This sort of video is just not for me.

Esoterra- various - AURORA - Apple Tree
I really loved the concept of this and the way you blended so many different sources together using overlays. I do think some of the technical could use a bit of cleanup, like some of the masks or color keys that are a bit jagged or have black edges. But for the most part it’s well done. It does feel more like a fancy visualization of the song than anything, since the connections with the lyrics are few and far between. I’ve been listening to this song a lot since seeing this video and I have to wonder why you started the video so abruptly? Were the original ten seconds of the song too much? It might feel better leading into such a visual-heavy AMV to have some breathing room at the beginning. Just something to consider!

F Society - Mr. Robot - Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up
I found this hard to watch and am not really a fan of this type of music. I think maybe some of the cuts, particularly in the beginning, are too fast to really get much of a sense of what’s going on. Being unfamiliar with the source, I had to have someone explain it to me. The narrative isn’t particularly clear since it just cuts between a lot of characters and scenes seemingly at random. Sorry, this was just a miss for me.

Fever Dream - We’re Still Underground - Of Monsters and Men – Alligator
I feel like maybe you could bring some visuals in sooner, like around 00:03? The source video looks really fascinating, I haven’t seen it but I’d like to. The whole video has such a strong and interesting mood to it, I think the song was well-chosen though I’m not sure if the lyrics are related. I have kind of a pet peeve against using white or black flashes for sync in the middle of clips and think they could be reduced or eliminated here, especially around 1:40. I’ve been listening to this song a lot since I saw this video. Good job cutting the audio at the end, it’s seamless.

Four-Footed Family - Chi’s Sweet Home _ New Address - Magome Togoshi – Kaisouroku
I’m sorry, I’ve been avoiding this video because me and my fiancé’s cat (a gray tabby Siamese) unexpectedly passed away right around when I got these videos, so it was a bit too soon. Now that I’ve had some time I finally got to watch this. It’s a very cute, simple video. I think it does what it sets out to do for the most part, which is to show a cute story about a family getting a kitten. I do feel like the music is fairly “flat” in the sense it has no real ups or downs that allow the narrative to change. Like it would have been interesting to see moments from later in the season when the family is being forced to abandon Chi because their apartment doesn’t allow cats, and they choose to move to another apartment and keep Chi instead. It would give the story more of an emotional arc if that makes sense. But it’s still cute for what it is!

friend.exe - Serial Experiments Lain - Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
It’s tough because Billie Eilish is popular right now (my neighbor blasts her music like half the day) so there’s already been a number of AMVs with this song. That being said I like what you did with it and how you kept it simpler with an older source. I do feel like it sometimes misses some opportunities with the sync. I like that it emphasizes the character’s relationship with herself. It has a great, subtle creepy vibe.

Going Home - Steven Universe - The Score - Going Home
There’s a pure joy in this video. I’m not a SU fan but you can feel the love for the characters and their affection for each other in this video. I think the song was well chosen for the sentimental feel of the video. If I had to critique the video I’d say that it could probably flow and sync a bit better. It has a lot of fairly static shots for the high energy of the song.

Heartdance - How to Train Your Dragon Trilogy - Woodlock - Forever Ago
It was really nice to see a romantic video about Hiccup and Astrid rather than another video about the dragons. I feel like for the most part, this was edited well and had a great mood with the music. Sometimes I feel like the narrative is a bit muddled (“our love is stronger when we are apart”, but it’s shots of Hiccup building and then Astrid is right there with him). We don’t see the progression of their relationship or anything, instead it’s very mixed together. I think I’m fine with it like that, it’s just more focused on their feelings for each other than telling their story.

Hellsing Eternal - Hellsing Ultimate - Doom Eternal - Launch Trailer
I feel like for the most part this is a strong trailer and a good source combo. The sync with the sounds works really well and I know how difficult that can be! I like how you used the titles over the anime footage at the end, but it’s straight out of the original trailer, and I think it’d be better and more unique to create your own, similar titles that are more relevant to the Hellsing footage.

Hurricane - The Girl From the Other Side - Fleurie – Hurricane
I thought this nailed the bittersweet mood of the original manga. The mix of manga and anime is interesting, though I wonder if you only used the manga because the anime doesn’t progress as far in the story. It’d be interesting some aspects of the manga panels more but it’s not super necessary. I think the narrative does end up a bit muddled about the relationship between the girl and Teacher; like you get that he has a longing to form a relationship with her, but is being held back, but the other aspects of the story (like the curse) are confusingly communicated (we see the girl hold his hand without any apparent repercussions for instance). As usual I also have to nitpick the use of black flashes for syncing purposes. Otherwise I feel like this was still a solid sentimental entry.

Infinite Youth - The Peanuts Movie - Sleeping At Last – Sun
Growing up I was a big fan of the Peanuts and I’m surprised I still haven’t seen this movie?? I should probably get on that. This is generally the kind of video I like to make and I had someone ask if I made this, lol. I do think that some of the black fades used as transitions get too dark and may not be necessary to use… like it flows pretty well on its own without a lot of transitions. I’m not super sure about the narrative here other than Charlie Brown has a crush on the Little Redheaded Girl and is trying to find an opportunity to impress her or return her pencil? I’m not sure. It’s a lot of mixed footage. The B plot involving Snoopy also feels odd but I get that it mirrors Charlie Brown’s romantic struggles. But I think the video as a whole does capture the sentimental mood of the source so it mostly works.

Iron Bond - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Illenium - Only One
I have some trouble getting past the literal interpretation of the lyrics, haha. But I like this focus on Ed and Al, especially setting it mostly from Al’s perspective. It feels like a good fit. Sometimes the energy levels feel mismatched because of the nature of the music (fast-paced and highly electronic, versus slow and sentimental visuals).

Iron Resolve - Avatar The Last Airbender - Woodkid – Iron
I think this is a great Zuko character profile. I like how you used the color tints to set a certain mood to the visuals and how you included the show audio. Not sure the audio at :56 is necessary though, and sometimes the audio gets a bit drowned out by the music.

Language - various - Team America - America, F Yeah
This was way better than I was expecting and I don’t think I’ve ever heard the full song, lol. Some of the sync could be tightened up I think (such as punching out Hitler, or the explosions at :26). But then parts feel good that are synced to the rapid drum beats. Overall a really strong entry. Love the end card.

Legends Never Die - Chio’s School Road - Sneaks - No Problem
Thought it was funny and the lip sync was good and it was well edited, but I’m not familiar with the source and not sure why this combo was chosen. The ending is really abrupt, is it unfinished?

Million Miles Away - Voices of a Distant Star - Karen O - The Moon Song
The mood of this is really interesting and melancholy. The art style of the source is really distracting (I can’t get past how poorly drawn the characters are) but that’s no fault of this video. It does look like there’s a visual issue where the lines are blurry or something, I don’t know if that’s in the original. The pans also feel unusually choppy. I’d check and make sure your sequence settings match your footage.

MöbiusTrip - The Midnight Gospel - Dan Deacon - When I Was Done Dying
I personally don’t like this aesthetic and have been avoiding this cartoon, but I don’t hold that against the video, haha. I liked the lyric sync (though it took several viewings to understand it all), and the psychedelic mood of this is spot on. I don’t have much in the way of constructive criticism; like it’s a good video, just not something I personally enjoy.

My Crew - One Piece - Keala Settle - This Is Me
I’m sorry, when I first saw this I assumed it was meant to be funny. This song is so overused, and in the context of this contest especially has entered the realm of parody, that it caught me off guard that this video seems to be playing it straight. I find it tough sometimes to take One Piece seriously because of the nature of the visuals. But I don’t hold any of that against the video. I think you did a pretty good job with your audio cuts, and the mood of it works well as an ensemble piece. I do think some of the technical need cleaning up in places where the sync is awkward or the visuals are muddled (like around 1:30). You might be overusing fade to black transitions. I’d reduce how many of them you use, or not go as dark with them.

one trick pony - various - My Chemical Romance - Na Na Na
I’M A GIRAFFE

Painful - One Punch Man - Judas Priest – Painkiller
I’m not really a fan of this kind of music, but it works well for this footage and this is a solid action edit. The length feels just right to use some of the best footage and not be too long. The fly thing at the end is kinda funny.

Rallyy - Gunsmith Cats - Bullitt – Trailer
It’s just okay to me. The sync is pretty good, but there is stray lip sync that definitely has to be edited out of there’s no source audio to sync to (I’m told this is in keeping with the spirit of the original so maybe ignore this). It’s risky to swap the genders in trailers, because it can make it harder to keep track of the characters. There are a lot of characters in this, which made it harder for me to follow the story. A parody trailer should be edited in a way that still allows the viewer to follow what the plot of the film is about. Choosing an old school trailer audio is tough because trailers were edited in a very meandering way back then.

The Great Gatsby - Baccano! - The Great Gatsby – Trailer
Another just okay trailer. The intro is mentioning specific things about the setting, New York, and buildings, but we’re not seeing a lot of set dressing (shots of the city). Even if the anime city is not New York just seeing long shots to set up the setting would work. I couldn’t really keep track of the characters or what their relationships were with each other. I’d recreate the titles or make your own; AMV contests may not allow you to enter with titles taken from the original trailer. Plus it’s more fun!

This is Trash - Kiniro Mosaic - Generated voice
I mean, it has good lip sync, it is indeed a trash can, it even says so on the wall. Is it an AMV without music though? I say nay.

Too Many Editors - various - Adult Swim - Too Many Cooks
Good choice for me, no notes, I laughed the whole way through and question how I am spending my time and my social life.

totally a legit video - various - Lo Key - Suck my
Aw, I was just starting to get into it. ☹ The intro is a tad annoying and needs better lip sync, but I can tell this is totally unfinished. Keep going?

Unbound - Vinland Saga - Wardruna – Wunjo
I really like the concept of this video and the way it’s structured. I really like the juxtaposition of the adults and children in this, considering the vocals. There are moments of great sync, but some of it might need to be tightened up. The ending seems to be a bit rough and might need to be cleaned up.

Une Prière - Fruits Basket - Ciara Renée - God Help The Outcasts
I really love this as an ensemble piece, it captures the emotions of the characters well and has that epic, Broadway feel. I’ve been watching the show and there’s something a little oof about comparing Akito to a benevolent god. Don’t change it, it was just a gut punch haha. These poor guys need a new god. This is nitpicky but the part around 1:45, is that meant to feel like a window? There seems to be a bit of a white border around some of the footage and I can’t tell if that was intentional or a footage issue.

Utena Vu - Revolutionary Girl Utena - Dave Rodgers - Déjà vu
The beginning is interesting, but this seems to be mostly an unedited sequence from the film set to different music. You’ll want to use more of a variety of footage. I’d also be careful about normalizing your audio, there’s a huge difference between the movie audio and the song.

Watch the Sky - various - MIA - Bird Song
This is so quirky and interesting. I’m not really sure what it’s going for other than being a bit bizarre. I liked the texture overlays that made it feel like a watercolor painting, it helped all the different sources feel cohesive. It starts really abruptly, maybe put a second or two lead on the beginning.

What We Mean When We Say We_d Give Up Everything - Adolescence of Utena - Adam Neely, Kate Steinberg - Run Away With Me
Really love this type of music for Utena. I liked some of the unusual internal sync and transitions. I think the energy of this is a great match with the song. The rollers smashing shut around 3:24 is one of my favorite bits, haha. My only critique is I’m not sure about the frequent blurring, but I get that it’s kind of part of the mood of the footage.

Yes I Know I_m a Wolf - Beastars - Courbe - I Know I_m a Wolf
Um, was this song made for this anime?? It works so well, it gave me chills. For the most part I dug the editing and the mood of this AMV, my only criticism is that sometimes the energy level of the clips dropped a little for the intensity of the song, especially after the beat drops around 2:45. Pick up the pace and intensity even more.

Your Hand in Mine - Howl’s Moving Castle - The Oh Hellos - Thus Always to Tyrants
This video convinced my fiancé he needs to give this movie another shot. It just has such a fun energy and plays well with its visuals. I don’t really think the story comes across so it’s not spoilers or anything, just a fun romp with the song.
MATURE
Spoiler :
Dissociate - various - The Delgados - The Drowning Years
To get the technical stuff out of the way, the masks and Twixtor do need some cleaning up, but for the most part I think this is a technically very solid video, and I appreciated some beforehand warning (I have PTSD and getting caught off guard is difficult for me).
I spoke about this video at length on the Discord server and the call. To sum up what I said, this is a controversial video to me. I think it relies heavily on shock value, especially with the live action (where is that from by the way?) section at the end. It catapults it into the realm of “way too real”. The music choice to me is an odd one, because it’s written from a third person perspective about the woman, rather than from the woman’s perspective. I think this lends to the sense that there’s some objectifying or sensationalizing of the victims in the video. Perhaps this is the connection with the title “dissociate”; observing yourself from a third-person perspective… in that case I can kind of maybe excuse it. The message here is also incredibly dark; the lyrics tell of death being the only real release, and we see a (poorly attempted) suicide with the slit wrists. After watching this several times and discussing it, I find myself still questioning what the purpose of the video is. If it’s meant purely to communicate pain, then it’s effective. But I’d argue to a certain extent that traumatizing the viewer and making them complicit, helpless observers in acts of sexual violence is not the right way to elicit empathy.

I_m (Not) Myself - Perfect Blue - Rezz, Grabbitz - Someone Else
I haven’t seen this film but I felt like this video was really effective as a character profile. To me, the narrative seemed pretty clear. The transitions and stuff are good for the sound of the song (such as around 1:00). Not much else to say, just thought it was a solid video.

Two For Tragedy - Berserk - Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
I thought the epic feel of the song worked well with the source, though it’s on the long side (apparently the original song is like 10 minutes long??). This really isn’t my thing, but I still think this was well done and cleanly edited with a clear narrative.

sasukechanx
Org Profile

Post by sasukechanx » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Pro 2020 Reviews from SasukeChanx

I just wanna say to all of the editors that participated, thank you, you did great, you made it, and I really appreciate you submitting your work through tough times as 2020 was a sh*thole. I thoroughly enjoyed everyone’s videos- I love the Peer Review (Pro) Contest so much because I get to look at everyone’s videos exclusively and just be in awe the whole time for what you all did. This is my 2nd time doing reviews as I enjoyed doing them last year. I don’t have anything unique within my reviews- it is just my overall opinion (some may be long some may be short). Don’t take anything I say too harshly or seriously because I enjoyed this regardless and I think about the time and dedication you put in this video over critiquing every little thing. I hope you find my reviews to be worth a read! :rofl:

P.S: After watching everyone’s videos, most of them made me cry and emotional and others made me question (you good bruh???)

P.S.S: If your video has a cupcake ( :cupcake: ) at the end, it means it was a personal favorite :D
Spoiler :
A Christmas Eve Carol: I think the flow here is pretty solid. Christmas came early :D (probably not in a good way in terms of the context of the source) I never saw this animation. The storytelling, sync and flow was pretty good.

A Servants Fate: This is a Fate video I really like. There are some fate videos that can be a bit too generic but this one was new to me on its own, it included other seasons and fate series that I have not seen before. I think the quick zooms in the beginning are not that necessary, I would do shorter, slower zooms or even having cuts is fine. The zooms were more effective toward the middle and end of the video which I enjoyed a lot! My favorite part was 1:14-1:48- that’s where I felt the most emotions! This was a super clean video and I really enjoyed this!

Awaken: Gosh, everything about this was so perfect. This is a really good character profile, drama, live action video for Wonder Woman. The song lyrics were perfect for her. I really loved the subtle, yet intense (towards the end) internal sync that was happening. I really enjoyed this video! 😊 :cupcake:

Bad Guy: Woah, this was just tons of fun and action packed. This is a super clean, smooth video. This editor really knows what they are doing with making live-action fo’ shoooo. The sequences where they were in the warehouse and the lights going red and back really helped with the flow and some internal sync as well- that was a shock factor to me. The slo-motions are also my favorite part. You knew what you were doing- this was awesome! :cupcake:

Bad Piece: This was certainly a Bad Piece indeed. Just like Sad Piece being sad. This had me chuckle a few times- just god awful lol. (but no really good job)

Battlefield: The flow and mood of the video went throughout so I thought it was pretty good. I think the quality of the source wasn’t THE best but it’s not the worst either. I also feel like you could have cut the song a bit, I kinda knew what you were going for about 2 minutes in. I don’t know much about Destiny nor did I play it all that much so I cannot have a major opinion about the video game itself and what you have done with it or what exact sources you used.

BIG WIN: LMFAOOOO ayoo ayooo chill Kaiki is a cool guy I simped for this dude since highschool. I really loved this parodic video. The technicality, the creativity, it was all so well. I really loved this- this has my vote

Bitter Lamentations: Ok, for how long this video is, you made it absolutely, 100 percent work. I don’t even like music like this but how you brought us viewers to the video with the relationship they had and what they went through together and separated just melts my heart. I didn’t know what was gonna happen in the 2nd game but I wasn’t gonna play it either but you hate to see what happened :( (talking about what happened i didn’t mind getting spoiled here at all). I think how you chose to tell the viewers the story and character profile in this really got me (and I bet others) hooked. This was emotional for me and I felt my heart melt at a few moments towards the end. Good job :’)

Boy vs. Brain- LISTENNNNN. *handclap* When I say this was probably one of THE best SU videos I’ve ever seen, I mean that. You don’t wanna know how much I re-watched this and WILL re-watch this. I didn’t even know the song was by Zach himself until I read the full video file that was labeled and I was like WAIITT AM I READING THIS RIGHTTT?? Because I was starting to question like “damn how did this fit so well” but also it isn’t even part of the SU OST so YOU made this video that much better. The quality, the sync (technical and lyric), the character profile for Steven, and getting an outlook on the darker side of the show is a good way sometimes to get viewers hooked on a show for a children’s/adult audience. You did so well on the instrumental parts too (where some editors could have made it fall flat then and there). I love this and I love you. Thank you for making this. :cupcake:

Can Anybody Hear Me: This is such a heartfelt video. I haven’t seen the Sonic movie but now I want to. The title of your video really does bring out the theme and mood you wanted to show. 48 seconds in, I think there is an error or a glitch happening (I don’t know if its my player or the video) but I am not going to critique for that. If it was the video, it happens, if it was my player then completely disregard this last comment. Overall, it was a good video, it was nicely edited and I like it! 😊 I gotta see this movie now thanks to you.

Dance: There are a lot of sequences here that I thoroughly enjoyed and was vibing with the song! I felt like however, the song could be cut down a bit, that way you could have more usage of the various clips and sequences you were using with this video. Overall I liked it! The editing was nice and there were some stylistic choices (the commentary in the beginning, some of the retro- themes in the beginning, the speed & pacing of your clips) that I enjoyed.

Dissociate: This was interesting. It wasn’t as triggering to me as some were- but I was a bit uncomfortable. I really don’t know the artist’s intent but I knew from the first time watching it that the artist meant no harm but was trying to tell a message (or rather give the audience an experience)- the message is a bit unclear to me but I can’t make any assumptions. The twixtor editing style in the beginning was very different from how it was edited towards the end and I think that was on purpose. There are a lot of hidden messages here I can’t quite pinpoint but I do applaud the artist for making something very original and taking a risk in which making viewers feel uncomfortable watching. I can’t really critique what’s going on here 100% but as far as I've seen, your visual effects were really clean and good!

Do you know what’s going on: You chose a theme and a time that is happening in the real world and you used The Walking Dead to make some sort of- reflection due to this year’s pandemic. It shows all the little details (the time stamp in the beginning) and the use of dialogue throughout the video. I thought your composition of audio mixing and editing was really well done; it left little to no room for error in my opinion. I think your use of video/VHS effects was neat. The flow of the video was brilliant and my emotions were tying along as the video played. The pandemic is something almost everyone in the world can relate to. And because of 2020, you brought this video to existence. This was awesome! :cupcake:

Dysphoria: Ok hands down, I had to watch this video several times to take myself out of sobriety and my mental state- basically i just wanna have whatever you took to make this video and if you say you were sober I won’t believe you LOL. This was awesome, there some anime sources I haven't seen in years among AMVs. Your use of text and effects was brilliant, just everything fit perfectly for a video like this. This was a wild ride and if I never need to completely blank my mind, I'll be watching this. :cupcake:

Estoerra- Alright we have a king/queen of overlays over here ladies and gentlemen. This was toooooo clean and the flow of your editing with the song was fantastic- I was mesmerized. I recognized some of where your overlays came from and it wow’d me because you knew how to transit all of your sequences together in harmony. I really like this! :)

F-Society: The title, the police brutality, Trump appearing on the screen various times says it all- this video’s pertaining to the riots that happened this year. I really liked how you used a television show and added other elements to create something else. The color change when people were running down the stairs was really cool- i was whoa’d! The lyric sync was fantastic and overall this was a neat video and a way to display someone involved in the riots and police brutality. F-Trump too.

Fever Dream- I don’t know the source so I’m gonna say I need to be on whatever them two are on LMAO. Jokes aside, I am gonna consider watching the source because this is such a colorful, vivid animation and I have never seen this anywhere ever. I really like the lyric sync and editing that went with this, i think you hit the beginning and climax to the end just right. This is well made- awesome job :)

Four-Footed Family: I don’t know why I almost cried but this was too wholesome. It was like receiving a warm hug. Thank you for making this.

friend.exe: I was heavily immersed with this video. The song, the source, the eerie theme and mood to this. Your editing, sync, and visuals were just perfect. I really REALLLY like this video. I may play this video over and over because of how much it draws me into this video. I haven’t seen this anime pop up in a hot minute and i’m glad you brought it back. The title for the video fits so well. Great job! :cupcake:

Going Home: ughhhhh I’m goonnaaa CrRRYYY!!! This is such a feel-good video that wraps around the friendship, relationships, love and excitement from the SU show. The editing was clean and the timing was just right. You nailed it towards the end of the video. This is too good! :cupcake:

Heartdance: This was so lovely. I have not seen any later HTTYD films besides the first one- and now I really wanna watch the rest- I heard there was a TV series so I will have to check that out as well. You really brought out the relationship between the two in this video. This was sweet :)

Hellsing Eternal: AHHHH, everything that was composed in this trailer video was awesome. I never thought of the pairing but it works really well! (I don’t know much about Doom so I can’t say much here) The editing was brilliant! And Hellsing Ultimate was a good choice to use :) I love it!

Hurricane: Whoa. That transition from using the manga and animation from the source was a very good artistic choice- that video was splendid- it didn’t even feel like 5 minutes. This has some great storytelling, and great use of manga video editing. I love this so so much, it was beautiful. :cupcake:

I’m (Not) Myself: This was a good song choice for Perfect Blue! I only saw the film recently so it was still fresh in my mind when I saw this video. The visual effects were cool and I think you were able to capture and hide some of its truest moments from this film. This was awesome!

Infinite Youth: Did you intend to make us cry? Cuz it f*cking worked. Bro tears rolled down my face watching this the first time I really don’t know why. I didn’t even see the Peanuts movie. This video was beautifully composed, very sentimental, the song choice was a strong one and you did well in making this.

Iron Bond: I really didn’t think i’d see an FMA video with this kind of genre of music. However, the lyrics worked really well with how you composed the video (lyric sync) with him and the brother (sorry I haven't seen the anime :( ) and in a lot of areas I thoroughly enjoyed the video even during the instrumental beats. There were moments where I felt like it was a little static but you made them up in other moments. Overall I like this and this was a FMA video that was new to me and unique! :cupcake:

Iron Resolve: I am digging the character profile on Zuko in this video! I enjoyed seeing some of the highlights of his character and growth throughout. I kind of wish there was some added dialogue in the beginning because the dialogue towards the middle kind of scared me lolol- but it would feel more balanced if there was dialogue throughout the whole video- more so the beginning of the video. I think the color selector effect brought out the sentimental value to the video, I really like that! Overall, this was good and I re-watched it a few times to be honest because the song and source was a really good pair.

Language: Gosh this was too perfect. I really enjoyed the lyric sync towards the end and the outro at the end. Best America video ever! :cupcake:

Legends Never Die: I really like what you did here. No problem!

Million Miles Away: This was a pretty cool video. The only thing that drove me off was the frame rate (maybe an export mistake?) but that is a common thing that can happen. Overall, I can’t say much here nor have any real critique besides the fact I thought it was a good video.

Mobius Trip: I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It was well composed and the flow of the video was great! I gotta see this show lol.

My Crew: I got so much chills watching this! I haven’t seen or read One Piece but good golly this video hits homerun. I really love how well this was put together and I appreciate the title of your video as it gave me a better understanding of what the video is all about. This was nice! :)

One trick pony: this video is literally the inside joke of Pro contest. You hit all the main points, this was too good. YOU WON THIS VIDEO BY A LOT!

Painful: This was so enjoyable to watch! The flow of this video was fantastic and you hit at all the right beats, especially the end XD. An action intense video with a sniff of humour at the end. The internal sync at the end was my favorite part. I like this!

Rallyy: This was a trailer video I rarely see nowadays! I think there is some lip flap that does not entirely sync in some parts (more in the beginning) but your overall creativity and editing was fantastic! The sound effects and source used hit in all of the right places. That title cover at the end was neatly designed!! I love this because this is something people rarely see nowadays and it was composed really well!

The Great Gatsby: I think this was a well composed trailer! There is some lip flap that does not entirely sync with the dialogue. I enjoyed most of the sequences of the video throughout. I have not seen Baccano! but i think i would like to see something original from the source you used to the trailer like “The Great Baccano!” or whoever the character’s name that was playing Gatsby. Overall this was a nice pairing that you did here!

This is Trash: truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Too Many Editors: sdifjdofjalksfjoiejf when I saw my name I squealed! This is so good you got out a lot of the characters the editors use or like and this was a good parody of Too Many Cooks, it just kept going on and on! I love that you put “To be continued” at the end to ensure that not all editors were on this video but that it could be added on or changed in the future. This was well put together! :cupcake:

Totally a legit video: LMAOOO when I saw present mic that was too perfect. I was thrown off at the use of the various fight scenes (Clannad?? Hello?? LMAO) I guess it's a legit video I'll give you that.

Two For Tragedy: Wow, I’m kind of almost speechless. I thought this video was gonna drag out maybe considering how long it was but no. It kept my attention the whole way through. That was amazing, this convinced me to watch Beserk tbh- I never knew their animation was that good. This was super well made and it was really good storytelling from the relationship between the two characters. The editing and pacing was fantastic! I really enjoyed towards the end of the video where you put flashes of the past/when they were together. :cupcake:

Unbound: This was such a beautifully edited video. The cuts you made (especially at the beginning) when the drum hits and when it cuts to swords clashing were my favorite parts- it is a really good technique to use as a transition- especially within film. I see the dagger as the symbol of this video with the protagonist and the cuts between battles in the middle of the video was well done. I enjoyed the overlays towards the end- overall this was a masterpiece! I love the anime and this anime is so underrated- thank you for making this amv. XD :cupcake:

Une Priere: The creativity in this video is immaculate. I would have never thought of this song to be used- and it was such a perfect pairing with the anime and how you put it together. That’s it, I need to watch Fruits Basket- i should have a long time ago but here we are. This gave me the chills towards the end- it was so beautiful and well put. I really like this video. :cupcake:

Utena Vu: I like the title you have for this video. This was simply edited to speed car chases from the source and song. I enjoyed it!

Watch the Sky: This video was very original to the song and I like the various usage of birds derived from different anime sources to create this artistic style in the video. I like the colors used in the video throughout and the takeaway of the video was clear as day. This was a good watch!

What We Mean When We Say We’d Give Up Everything: Ugh, literally king and queen of overlays here. I really like the song choice remix here- I like this more than the original song now. This style of editing looks very familiar but I will keep my lips sealed lol. This was well composed and edited and the editor is very neat with technicals when it comes to making this video. I thought this was awesome :) :cupcake:

Yes I Know I’m A Wolf: This song choice is literally for Beastars holy sh*t. I knew you thought that too when you heard this song. Everything about this was so perfect, the lyric sync was spectacular and you were able to overlay the relationship Legoshi has with Haru and how it gives a great storytelling from the story of the actual show between the two. This video was dark, intense, and action packed as it got towards the climax. This was superb!! :cupcake:

Your Hand in Mine: This video was so beautiful. Your pacing and sync throughout this video was spectacular. I really enjoyed the flow in the beginning where they start floating on air the same time the beat changes to more of a softer pace. It was amazingly executed and I really love this video!! :cupcake:

Return to “AMV Contests”