San Japan XII AMV Contest! Deadline August 21st!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

San Japan XII AMV Contest! Deadline August 21st!

Post by KiddTheManiac » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:49 pm

The rules for the contest can be found on the submissions form, but here's the TL;DR version.

1. The footage used must be primarily animated, regardless of the style or country of origin. Some live action content is fine, but the video must be mostly animated.

2. Content must be "PG-13". We try to be as lenient as we can, but anything that's likely to raise complaints from a general convention audience is a no-go.

3. No obvious signs of piracy, such as watermarks, subtitles, or exceedingly poor video quality.

4. You can submit any single video to a maxmium of two AMV League Qualifiers. If you choose to submit to San Japan XII, you can also submit that video to Tsubasacon's contest, or any of our other contests that're currently accepting entries.

Aaand that's basically it. Got any questions? Post here, I'd love to help you out!
Last edited by KiddTheManiac on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Re: San Japan XII AMV Contest!

Post by DopplerDo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Now that the Eastern and Western divisions have results, does SJ count toward anything larger? I'm kinda lost on how the bracket system works now.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Stupid question - what's AMV League?

KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Post by KiddTheManiac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am

DopplerDo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 pm
Now that the Eastern and Western divisions have results, does SJ count toward anything larger? I'm kinda lost on how the bracket system works now.
Okay, so.

What we've done in past Seasons is that the week before San Japan, we judge all the entries for SJ's qualifier, rank 'em, give prizes etc. And then in that same week, we judge The Nationals, wherein we take the 30-50 winners from the qualifiers, and rank them all in terms of each individual scoring category.

Which is fine if it's just you and your very over-caffeinated wife.

However, with MowTenDoo being brought in by SJ as the third Nationals Judge, we decided that it'd be better for everyone involved if the vids judged at this year's Nationals are just Tsubasa through Akai, in order to give MTD a month to watch and judge the vids, rather than a week.

What this means is that on Saturday, San Japan will host the Season 5 Nationals. It will be dramatic, and exciting, and tons of fun to boot. The Top Ten from both the Western and Eastern Regionals will be judged.

Then on Sunday, we'll be showing San Japan's Qualifier. So instead of being the last contest of Season 5, it'll be the first contest of Season 6.

Hopefully that makes sense.

KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Post by KiddTheManiac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am

Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 pm
It's a long story, but the TL;DR is that I got frustrated with how some contests were run, and I wanted to run my own contest at a small Texas convention.

My partner in crime wanted to expand that to a full, dozen-con contest circuit, with "Regional" and "National" contests where the winners from the smaller contests are judged together in a kind of pseudo-tournament bracket. (We work as "convention entertainers", and it seemed like a nice way to help smaller cons have consistent AMV-related programming)

Due to some recent health issues, she's unable to manage the league, so now I'm running twelve contests, two regionals, a national tournament, and also trying to catch up with all the past score requests from people who've previously submitted.

Which is hella fun, but oh my gosh, the stress. XD

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:54 pm

KiddTheManiac wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am
Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 pm
It's a long story, but the TL;DR is that I got frustrated with how some contests were run, and I wanted to run my own contest at a small Texas convention.

My partner in crime wanted to expand that to a full, dozen-con contest circuit, with "Regional" and "National" contests where the winners from the smaller contests are judged together in a kind of pseudo-tournament bracket. (We work as "convention entertainers", and it seemed like a nice way to help smaller cons have consistent AMV-related programming)

Due to some recent health issues, she's unable to manage the league, so now I'm running twelve contests, two regionals, a national tournament, and also trying to catch up with all the past score requests from people who've previously submitted.

Which is hella fun, but oh my gosh, the stress. XD
So we can enter one contest and not the others? Is there a list where we can keep track?

KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Post by KiddTheManiac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm changing that for Season 6, to allow you to submit to two different qualifying events, because while we designed the "no resubmissions" system to encourage diversity, it instead ended up discouraging a lot of seasoned editors who felt they shouldn't just have one chance per video. Which makes sense.

Starting in Season 6, you can submit a specific video to up to two events. This means that you can either submit a specific video to two Season 6 events, or if you've submitted to an AMV League Qualifier in the past, you can re-submit it to one of our upcoming contests.

For example, you can resubmit the videos you submitted to Anime Blues Con's Season 5 Contest to San Japan or another Season 6 Contest, as long as they don't win any "Best Of" Awards.

As for keeping track of what you've submitted to, my current plan is to set up a spreadsheet/document for each editor, that'd be somewhere like Google Drive so the editor can see it.

Something like:
KiddTheManiac

Absolute Anime MadLads:
San Japan 2021

Cro High Ain't Wack:
San Japan 2021
DashCon 2022

Who Stole December?:
Anime Blues Con 2020
Does that help?

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 pm

KiddTheManiac wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm changing that for Season 6, to allow you to submit to two different qualifying events, because while we designed the "no resubmissions" system to encourage diversity, it instead ended up discouraging a lot of seasoned editors who felt they shouldn't just have one chance per video. Which makes sense.
Makes total sense. Haha for the record, I really love the brutality of that rule and I have my share of losses :p. But it'll be fun to open that up :D!

SliceofLife
Org Profile

Post by SliceofLife » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:54 am

KiddTheManiac wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am
DopplerDo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 pm
Okay, so.

What we've done in past Seasons is that the week before San Japan, we judge all the entries for SJ's qualifier, rank 'em, give prizes etc. And then in that same week, we judge The Nationals, wherein we take the 30-50 winners from the qualifiers, and rank them all in terms of each individual scoring category.

Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/1f/08 ... dc257f.gif

Which is fine if it's just you and your very over-caffeinated wife.

However, with MowTenDoo being brought in by SJ as the third Nationals Judge, we decided that it'd be better for everyone involved if the vids judged at this year's Nationals are just Tsubasa through Akai, in order to give MTD a month to watch and judge the vids, rather than a week.

What this means is that on Saturday, San Japan will host the Season 5 Nationals. It will be dramatic, and exciting, and tons of fun to boot. The Top Ten from both the Western and Eastern Regionals will be judged.

Then on Sunday, we'll be showing San Japan's Qualifier. So instead of being the last contest of Season 5, it'll be the first contest of Season 6.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Oh damn I really wish I read through this ahead of time, would've made something in time for season 5! :')

Either way it definitely makes sense, good call on making things a little less stressful for ya'll :)

So, silly question but just to clarify: winners from this year's San Japan contest will be a part of the nationals shown next year at San Japan, correct?

KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Post by KiddTheManiac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am

Yes. If you submit something to the San Japan contest, and it does well, it'll go on to the Regionals, and if it gets into the Top Ten at those, it'll be at the Nationals. :D

Return to “AMV Contests”