The Otakon 2019 Thread - Bye Bye 480i

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

The Otakon 2019 Thread - Bye Bye 480i

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am

AMV CONTEST FINALISTS
Now That's What I Call Drama! (vol. 12)
Congratulations to the finalists for the 2019 AMV Contest. May the odds be ever in your favor!
AngelMaeVictory
AntaresHeart07
Aquiline Studios: Cyanna
BecauseImBored1
BioticAMVs
BleachShippu5678
Cameron Combe
Cirera & Nugettochan
DopplerDo
Dragontamer5788
hamstar138
JMI Productions
Kent Clark
Kirbygal
lovinyoujacksparrow2
Maboroshi Studio
MadMegatax
MinetChan
Mycathatesyou69
Nekokitkat
Nuke
Oscar AMV
PerkyPastry
Pixelblended Studios (EnQuatre)
Pixelblended Studios (Xophilarus)
Rider4Z
Sean.PNG
ShinAMV
shorisquared
SilverEchoAMVs
Soltaru
Spits & Giggles Studio
TheDestineeAMV
Under The Box Productions (Krigen)
UnluckyArtist
Zeeruy

AMV Contest Non-Finalists
Akuda
Aly-san
Andrea Apuzzio
Annieamvs
Ayesha
Basedimouto
blueshiftofdeath
Bry__
Captain Drew
carmelaxkawaii
Cassandra Wood
Casual-swimmer
Copycat_Revolver
Deejaythink with James Farlow
DivineAMV
DoctorAn1me AMV
Dragon Girl Sam
drewaconclusion
Elixir
EmberFox
Erik Heckert
Espresso Yourself
FullmetalGirl
Gwendolyn Wood
Jason Wong
Jerry Li
Jurious
Kazemon15
Kireblue
Lennon Productions
MapleMAD
MarieJo's AMVs
Mm Durjoe
Mysunsai
NATALEO
Neene95
Opner
PaNTSU oF d00m
Peppermint Grinder
PieandBeer
Pikapwn
Pokechan
ProjectTwinsAMV
Prostrate Constantly
Pwncakes42
Ramen Noodle Productions
Rei-chan
RogeDogeLan
rogueintellectproductions
sacredfoxphoenix
Sephiroth
ShadyMacro
Shinjles
ShizayaFanart
Silent Hero Studios
Speedy180
SpookyYuki
Steve Gearhart
Sutton Productions
TeamKultzow
Teriyaki
Toon Addict Productions
Troubleclef
Tsunderbird Studios (KeiichiFace)
Tsunderbird Studios (Tsunderbird Seth)
TwigglyFiggly
Under The Box Productions (Davis 51)
VioletOleander731

AMV Contest: What Now?
First, congratulations on nobody getting outright disqualified this year! I only listed the studio names in case anyone wants their entry to remain a secret. Secrecy is NOT mandatory!
Also, to preserve anonymity for those that want it, I'm not announcing who was moved to "non-finalist" due to our "no previous winners" rule, as that would give them away. We only had a few, but given the drama that's happening "elsewhere", I tried to make extra certain that we were sticking to our rules, to the point where I was actually comparing source lists from other cons to see of people submitted potential finalists elsewhere, under different titles. I want to be exceptionally clear, I look for any excuse possible to NOT penalize a video! The spirit of that rule has always been to remove the videos that sweep contests across the country, to ensure that Otakon's contest is unique. It is not an excuse to smash the "X" and move on to the next act. This year is no exception to previous years. We have an outstanding show that I can't wait to share, and we only got to this point thanks to each and every artist who submitted!

Official Otakon 2019 Schedule (subject to change):
https://hiroko.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp

AMV Contest Pre-screenings
AMV Contest entries will be evaluated on 6/29. As of right now, this event is full, as 13 people are about as many as I can fit in my living room without it bursting. We will then send the proposed finalists off to our legal department for final approval, before announcing them. You'll know when we know.

AMV Contest Entrant Ribbons
If you sent a video to the 2019 AMV contest and it wasn't DISQUALIFIED (being a non-finalist is NOT a disqualification), then you are entitled to 3 ribbons that allow you to skip the line for all AMV contest screenings, and access reserved seats at all AMV contest screenings. Each ribbon is good for the entire weekend. You get 3 so that you can still hang out with your friends, or make some new ones. These ribbons are distributed in PROGRAMMING OPS (though AMV Theater will have a few available).

AMV Contest Screenings and Lines
The AMV Contest is being simulcast in AMV Theater on both Friday and Saturday. There is no room clear before the simulcast, so if there is room, please come in!
The AMV Contest screenings in Featured Events WILL have a line. For Friday's screening, the doors open 45 minutes prior to the event. I believe that they will be clearing the room after the previous event as it costs us money to leave the room open, regardless of whether there's content running or not. For Saturday's screening, there is a room clear during the prior event, and we will start seating 45 minutes prior to the screening.

AMV Contest Winners
The winners will be announced in Featured Events this year. Doors will open 1 hour prior. This is our first year trying this, so we're not sure if there will be a line, or if the room will fill.

Fan Produced Videos
AKA: Fan Parodies
We're bringing it back. This year we're keeping it mostly short-form, since we only had room for 2x 1 hour blocks, but we will be showing Evangelion ReDeath on Saturday as part of the block, so that there won't be riots. Neither block will require an 18+ wristband, but because of the language, viewer discretion is very advised. If you're up at 11:30pm, you're probably old enough to hear this stuff, but you've been warned.

Iron Editor
Kind of let the cat out of the bag early on this one, but Pikapwn will be facing off against PaNTSu_oF_d00m. The theme is "Oops! All Butlers!" sources are:
Black Butler: Book of the Atlantic
Butlers x Battlers
Ladies versus Butlers!
Hayate the Combat Butler: Heaven is a Place on Earth
Hellsing Ultimate

AMV Sing-Along
Getting people to participate for 45-60 minutes straight has proven to be a tough sell, so we pulled this event from the schedule and will instead put some of the "classics" into the Iron Editor entertainment, instead.

------------------------------------------------
OLD NEWS
Hi folks,
The Otakon 2019 rules are up and available here:
http://vicbond007.net/Otakon2019_rules/

They have already been approved, just waiting for them to be published on the Otakon site. In the meantime, they are valid and we are accepting submissions right now. FTP and submission form should be active.

Deadline is 11:59PM EST 6/24.
Anti-trolling cutoff date is 6/6 (more details in the rules).

Otakon is 2 weeks earlier this year, but we're only bumping the deadline up by 1 week.

AMV Theater is returning, and is in the same location as last year.

More details as they develop!
Last edited by VicBond007 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2019 Thread - Bye Bye 480i

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 pm

Just submitted my entry.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for AX to get their submission form up and running.

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am

Some non-anime footage is allowed as long as the majority of the AMV is anime, correct?
ImageImage

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am

shorisquared wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am
Some non-anime footage is allowed as long as the majority of the AMV is anime, correct?
Yes, but it's up to discretion. There's no hard percentage, but I'd say 80/20 should be fair. Depends how it's used too. We had 1 video a few years ago that used a few shots from the song's original music video, that got the whole video shut down. We couldn't even show it as a non-compete. So basically you're fighting against two things if you elect to use non-anime footage: The Law, and everyone at the con going "but that's not aaaaaaaaaaaanime..." :nono:
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am

VicBond007 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am
shorisquared wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am
Yes, but it's up to discretion. There's no hard percentage, but I'd say 80/20 should be fair. Depends how it's used too. We had 1 video a few years ago that used a few shots from the song's original music video, that got the whole video shut down. We couldn't even show it as a non-compete. So basically you're fighting against two things if you elect to use non-anime footage: The Law, and everyone at the con going "but that's not aaaaaaaaaaaanime..." :nono:
I gotcha. Well, it's not from something like an original music video: just some quick cuts from a Disney movie for a very small percentage. So wasn't sure if that was a no-go for Otakon.
ImageImage

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am

shorisquared wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am
I gotcha. Well, it's not from something like an original music video: just some quick cuts from a Disney movie for a very small percentage. So wasn't sure if that was a no-go for Otakon.
If you put the word "Disney" anywhere on screen at any time, you're fired. The Mouse doesn't take kindly to copyright infringement, so please be extra careful.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 am

We're looking for competitors for Iron Editor. We need 2 people for this year. We're still working on the theme/sources. If you've got the chops to compete, send me a PM. You get a coupon code good for 1 free admission to Otakon 2019 for competing. If you already pre-regged, you can give the code to a friend or something. If you win, you get a medal and become a member of the Cool Kids Club.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am
The Otakon 2019 Thread - Bye Bye Miss 480i
Fixed.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DJJonnyBlaze
Org Profile

Post by DJJonnyBlaze » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I dont have Submission this year. :(

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 pm

DJJonnyBlaze wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm
I dont have Submission this year. :(
Not with that attitude you don't :-)

One Week AMV go go go!! Practice for that Iron Editor!

Return to “AMV Contests”