Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am

I saw this coming and rather than point fingers at the powers to be, I want to take the time to reminisce a bit. I still remember the years when AX would never start the contest on time, was excluded from the program guide, the 100+ page threads on here every AX AMV Contest, and many other issues, but you rescued it from the depths and turned it into something great and memorable. I hope the new coordinator understands the huge shoes he/she has to fill to get this thing off the ground. Past AX contests were fun and all, but when you took over, it felt like I was at the Hollywood Bowl of AMV events.

Also, huge thanks for fighting on my behalf at AX2012 and making my AMV journey go out with a bang at my home con. :bzz2:

And for old time's sake...
Spoiler :
drama

:aimkissyface:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Ileia wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 am
I hate seeing another ACen situation and it sucks that you didn't get to do an official farewell via the con, but I hope you're able to just think fondly on the years that you ran an awesome show. You're right, the AX contest did used to have a bad rep and I only started entering after you guys took over and transformed it. I'm happy we still have Sakura-Con to fill that spot. :)
Acen's situation arose due to a lack of communication from my section chief with whom I had been sending monthly reports and requests to. I also couldn't attend meetings due to work but repeatedly had been contacting acen that entire year asking for updates and making requests for both function space and tech requirements. Which, when the day of the con arrived, I found went completely ignored by my SC. Had he done his job, we wouldn't have had such a Nick Nolte situation and due to the fact that it seemed to be what happened almost every year (2011 being the worst) I decided it just wasn't worth running anymore. That last year at Acen I did not have any fun at all. That weekend was a miserable experience and I didn't want to go through that ever again.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Feedback from someone with zero involvement in the contest over the years means absolutely nothing, but I can't help but read this thread as an extremely bad omen for this hobby.

People here know much more about this than I do from firsthand knowledge and/or attendance at the con, but the Anime Expo contest holds a TON of prestige and is, without question (perhaps this isn't even worth bothering to mention), one of the top 2-3 AMV events in the hobby.

I know you much more for the one AMV you edited and released many years ago than for all the countless hours of work that you've put into making the contest thrive over the years. With that now in the rear view, I hope you're still involved in the hobby and/or this community to some degree, would hate to see you disappear since you've obviously meant so much to everyone here over the years. Then again, I understand just how difficult it is to keep putting in the time and the work with real life happening as it does.

Really hope someone can take the reins and keep the contest going, it would be a huge loss to the community. You did everything you could for it, so once again, thank you.

Stryyder
Org Profile

Post by Stryyder » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:53 pm

FWIW, I don't see this as a bad omen for AMV making. Being somewhat on the sidelines and watching the majority of those involved working, the accomplishments and work done at AX in the past near decade has actually fostered one of the more cohesive groups of contest runners I've seen. Between Stylus, YuuSharo, Vlad, Rider, Kireblue, etc etc, as well as the crowd of editors that have gathered to their events not only at AX but at Sakura Con, MomoCon, etc in such large numbers. A lot of solidarity has really come out of the work that was done by all of these people and, as I said, as someone with a close outside view, it really is encouraging.
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room Manager 2014-
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room staff 2010-2013
Anime California: AMV Staff 2019-
Anime Conji: AMV Staff 2014-2015
Anime Vegas: AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2013

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm really disappointed AX out of nowhere dropped a bunch of loyal editors and AMV coordinators out of nowhere. I've got a big MV planned and it was always meant for Anime Expo, just hoping that they carry on the tradition as well as it was in years past.

Anyways enough of that sappy stuff, lets get back to that boom bap shit at sakura con

-tko03
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Wait, this is just now being made public? I first read about this news ages ago.

Good thing I never said anything about it, I guess.

Is the AMV contest information that's currently on their site ( http://www.anime-expo.org/activity/amv_ ... /#maintab1 ) still left over from last year, or is that new?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 pm
Wait, this is just now being made public? I first read about this news ages ago.
I did mention it a while ago in a few whisper circles, but hadn't made any public statements until now because, if I'm totally honest with myself, I held a small ember of hope. Thus I held off on announcing anything until so much time to have gone by that we couldn't step in to help even if we were asked to. I don't like burning bridges unless there's no hope of repair.
Is the AMV contest information that's currently on their site ( http://www.anime-expo.org/activity/amv_ ... /#maintab1 ) still left over from last year, or is that new?
Yup, that's last year's rules still up there, and there's no deadline or submission instructions as of yet. To be fair, perhaps the new coordinator is still getting settled in. I won't criticize until a point-of-no-return date is crossed, but one is coming up rather soon.
Last edited by XStylus on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

ProjectTwinsAMV
Org Profile

Post by ProjectTwinsAMV » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Its really sad to hear that your gone. I’ve been to AX 7 years since 2012 and now and basicly been there when you host the competitions and every year it gets better and better and more competitive. I would like to say thank you for putting such an awesome show every year and i enjoy it so very much. Ive always entered every year and one day ill have my AMV as a finlist soon :) So again, thank you for an awesome fun ride the past 7 years.
2015 - 2023 AMV Saboten Con AMV Manager
2019 - 2020 Kikori Con AMV Manager

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 pm

Reposting this from FB because I mean it; I really appreciated the opportunities you and the rest of the AX AMV team gave me. Hosting AMV Chef these last few years has been the highlight of AX and something I always looked forward to.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:24 pm

KagatoAMV wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 pm
Reposting this from FB because I mean it; I really appreciated the opportunities you and the rest of the AX AMV team gave me. Hosting AMV Chef these last few years has been the highlight of AX and something I always looked forward to.
(I mean what i said on facebook too)

Return to “AMV Contests”