Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Is it selfish to say that none of the entries I submitted for AX this year moved on to the finals?
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

This thread pains my soul...

The love and solidarity from you all is definitely felt. Still, despite the fact that my view of SPJA (AX's parent organization) is dim, my feelings for the AMV Competition are conflicted. I don't want to support SPJA, but also I don't want the legacy of what we built to suffer -- our child that we adopted, healed, and helped to thrive. And I do think the people trying to care for it now want to do right. They're just... ...very green. Visibly painful lessons will be learned the hard way (including lessons about working under the SPJA).

It will be what it will be. I've told them that they're free to ask me for advice, and I will give honest and helpful answers. So far they haven't asked me much, and I won't bend over backwards, but I won't hinder.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Is it selfish to say that none of the entries I submitted for AX this year moved on to the finals?
That's what this thread is for. To console each other when we never made the finals. :cry:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm
This year, the total is only 145, and I don't know if that's the total of videos before DQ's or the total number of videos all together.
Even with Dqs, 145 is still a pretty decent amount of entries considering that they did virtually no promotion for the contest. Did they tell you that number via email?

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Kireblue wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm
TnAdct1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm
This year, the total is only 145, and I don't know if that's the total of videos before DQ's or the total number of videos all together.
Even with Dqs, 145 is still a pretty decent amount of entries considering that they did virtually no promotion for the contest. Did they tell you that number via email?
Yep. That was mentioned in an e-mail at AX sent to the entrants informing them that there was going to be a delay in the announcement of the finalists.

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Did anybody hear about AX's recent announcement? Check it out:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#inbox ... rpXdxZGFtC

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 pm
Did anybody hear about AX's recent announcement? Check it out:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#inbox ... rpXdxZGFtC
Er, that's a GMail link that won't work for anyone else. Can you copy the contents here or post a screencap?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Right, sorry. Here's what they said:

A Letter From The AX AMV Coordinator

Anime Expo AMV
9:55 PM (57 minutes ago)
to bcc: me

Dear AMV Creators,

This is the AMV Competition Coordinator writing to you directly.

On Monday June 17th, an email was sent out to you all announcing the finalists for the 2019 AX AMV Competition. Some of you pointed out that a particular AMV had already won an award at another competition and it was against the rules for the AMV to qualify for the AX Competition.

My team responded to your concerns by stating that an exception was made for this AMV to enter the competition and it would be allowed to move forward. This response was not appropriate and the concern should have been addressed thoroughly.

It was never our intention to give this particular AMV special treatment over other submissions or set a bad example on us by not fully abiding by the competition rules. Mistakes were made and I take full responsibility for them. The greatest lessons are learned from mistakes and I've learned a lot these past few days. I've reached out to the creator of the AMV and he has agreed to withdraw his AMV from the finals and the competition. A new finalist will replace the slot and an updated finalists list will be sent out shortly.

In case some of you didn't know, my team and I are brand new this year in the AMV department and we are sincerely trying to do our best to create a positive experience for everyone. We hear you and we're listening. If you are coming to AX this year, I look forward to meeting you. I'm sure most of you will have a lot of feedback to give and I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

AX AMV Coordinator

E: AMV@anime-expo.org

http://www.anime-expo.org/activity/amv_competition/

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 pm

To me, this is a good call to withdraw the questionable video from the contest and replace it with a new finalist. Among the reasons:

1. It does quell a lot of the frustration that some creators had over this situation.

2. It does demonstrate that this year is a learning experience for both the staff members (who are new this year) at contest entrants (who may not be familiar with the Otakon-style anti-troll rule that AX has initiated this year), with both sides learning from their mistakes.

3. Hopefully, this will give the AX AMV Contest staff enough time to reflect the change in the ballots (I have some experiences with last minute changes, be it one Otakon finalist being switched after the ballots were printed due to the original video not being able to be cleared by legal or a couple of videos at Anime USA being moved from the main contest to the Horror/Naughty Contest after the Friday night screening).

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:12 am

Who the hell goes through the effort of putting a signature section on an email then neglects to actually put their name in?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “AMV Contests”