Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Locked
User avatar
TnAdct1
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:23 am
Location: Clinton, MD
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:52 pm
Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:24 pm
At the risk of sounding apathetic to the new coordinators and the folks caught in the middle of this fiasco, any attempt to assist in present and future fuck ups will only help leave an unblemished record regarding the amv contest.

The AMV staff at AX quit because AX thinks anyone is replaceable and they owe no apologies to anyone. They don't deserve our time or our efforts. Not as they are. A failed AMV contest is the only thing I see happening that could actually get their attention. "Oh but the fans..." AX is not and has never been the only place to access AMVs. Fans can and will find them elsewhere, and if they knew how AX treated the AMV staff they'd likely understand and agree AX messed up.
Wait, you're joking, right? So, then what happens now if there's no staff, and the contest itself?
There's still people running the AMV Contest at AX. In fact, AX would have had new people running the contest within a couple of years anyway, as the original post suggested that the original AMV Contest were planning to retire after either this year or next year's contest.

All the details as to why the AMV staff at AX quit can be found in the very first post of this thread.

User avatar
Kazemon15
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 9:28 pm
Status: Reborn! Fanatic
Location: AMV Freak, California
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Kazemon15 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:24 pm
At the risk of sounding apathetic to the new coordinators and the folks caught in the middle of this fiasco, any attempt to assist in present and future fuck ups will only help leave an unblemished record regarding the amv contest.

The AMV staff at AX quit because AX thinks anyone is replaceable and they owe no apologies to anyone. They don't deserve our time or our efforts. Not as they are. A failed AMV contest is the only thing I see happening that could actually get their attention. "Oh but the fans..." AX is not and has never been the only place to access AMVs. Fans can and will find them elsewhere, and if they knew how AX treated the AMV staff they'd likely understand and agree AX messed up.
Tbh, I agree with this. This is why I told all my editor friends (nekokitkat and some others) not to submit anything to AX this year. As much as I love the AMV contest at AX, people come first. And I know most of the AMV staff hold no grudges against what happened, it still gives a bad message to AX to treat any new people coming into it that it's okay to treat people poorly. The staff come before the fans, I believe, and if they are stressed out because of limitations beyond their control in a supposedly fun event they're suppose to love, it defeats the purpose, really...

User avatar
Tasha Livingstone
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:07 am
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Tasha Livingstone » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 am

This contest SHOULD fall flat on its face (and I say that in the most loving way possible). The AMV staff were disrespected by upper management, and left as a result. The entire team. That speaks volumes. Entering AMVs into the contest this year, and keeping it afloat with new staff, only enables upper management to treat its staff and the AMV community poorly. Nearly all of the editors I know didn’t enter this year, myself included. I won’t be defending my Iron Editor title, either, since the programming is dead. The competition can afford to flounder for a year, if it sends a message to management. AX screwed up. AMV fans won’t combust over a single flopped contest, and I bet they would understand, if only these issues were discussed openly. So far, only editors seem to be aware of the situation. Not viewers. I hold no ill-will against the new coordinators, but I agree that AX no longer deserves an unblemished AMV record. Not this year.

User avatar
Silent Hero Studios
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 am
Status: Currently dying in college... heroically
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am

Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 am
This contest SHOULD fall flat on its face (and I say that in the most loving way possible). The AMV staff were disrespected by upper management, and left as a result. The entire team. That speaks volumes. Entering AMVs into the contest this year, and keeping it afloat with new staff, only enables upper management to treat its staff and the AMV community poorly. Nearly all of the editors I know didn’t enter this year, myself included. I won’t be defending my Iron Editor title, either, since the programming is dead. The competition can afford to flounder for a year, if it sends a message to management. AX screwed up. AMV fans won’t combust over a single flopped contest, and I bet they would understand, if only these issues were discussed openly. So far, only editors seem to be aware of the situation. Not viewers. I hold no ill-will against the new coordinators, but I agree that AX no longer deserves an unblemished AMV record. Not this year.
You mean... most of the best AMV editors don't enter this because the higher-ups treat their staff like crap?
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

User avatar
Tasha Livingstone
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:07 am
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Tasha Livingstone » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am

Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am
Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 am
This contest SHOULD fall flat on its face (and I say that in the most loving way possible). The AMV staff were disrespected by upper management, and left as a result. The entire team. That speaks volumes. Entering AMVs into the contest this year, and keeping it afloat with new staff, only enables upper management to treat its staff and the AMV community poorly. Nearly all of the editors I know didn’t enter this year, myself included. I won’t be defending my Iron Editor title, either, since the programming is dead. The competition can afford to flounder for a year, if it sends a message to management. AX screwed up. AMV fans won’t combust over a single flopped contest, and I bet they would understand, if only these issues were discussed openly. So far, only editors seem to be aware of the situation. Not viewers. I hold no ill-will against the new coordinators, but I agree that AX no longer deserves an unblemished AMV record. Not this year.
You mean... most of the best AMV editors don't enter this because the higher-ups treat their staff like crap?
Hi there! Not the "best" editors, but just editors in general... veterans and newer editors alike this year. A number of editors decided not to enter the contest in protest to management's treatment of their AMV staff, as described in the first post on this thread. The AMV team indicated that they hold no grudges against AX, and they have good memories of running the contest, but I personally feel that management's actions were disrespectful to their staff who have run a kickass contest and programing for years. We know AX is a juggernaut, but its visibility is all the more reason it should be held to higher standards.

User avatar
Rider4Z
The Machine
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:55 am
Status: You just got Holtzmanned baby~
Location: One floor above Chinese take out
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am

Dunno why i felt like sharing this. It's my very first contest intro and the first year Troy took over. The contest took a major jump in production quality that year and maintained that quality for 7 years.


User avatar
Silent Hero Studios
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 am
Status: Currently dying in college... heroically
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 am

Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am
Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 am
This contest SHOULD fall flat on its face (and I say that in the most loving way possible). The AMV staff were disrespected by upper management, and left as a result. The entire team. That speaks volumes. Entering AMVs into the contest this year, and keeping it afloat with new staff, only enables upper management to treat its staff and the AMV community poorly. Nearly all of the editors I know didn’t enter this year, myself included. I won’t be defending my Iron Editor title, either, since the programming is dead. The competition can afford to flounder for a year, if it sends a message to management. AX screwed up. AMV fans won’t combust over a single flopped contest, and I bet they would understand, if only these issues were discussed openly. So far, only editors seem to be aware of the situation. Not viewers. I hold no ill-will against the new coordinators, but I agree that AX no longer deserves an unblemished AMV record. Not this year.
You mean... most of the best AMV editors don't enter this because the higher-ups treat their staff like crap?
Hi there! Not the "best" editors, but just editors in general... veterans and newer editors alike this year. A number of editors decided not to enter the contest in protest to management's treatment of their AMV staff, as described in the first post on this thread. The AMV team indicated that they hold no grudges against AX, and they have good memories of running the contest, but I personally feel that management's actions were disrespectful to their staff who have run a kickass contest and programing for years. We know AX is a juggernaut, but its visibility is all the more reason it should be held to higher standards.
Aaah, I get ya.
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

User avatar
TnAdct1
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:23 am
Location: Clinton, MD
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
Silent Hero Studios wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am
Tasha Livingstone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 am
This contest SHOULD fall flat on its face (and I say that in the most loving way possible). The AMV staff were disrespected by upper management, and left as a result. The entire team. That speaks volumes. Entering AMVs into the contest this year, and keeping it afloat with new staff, only enables upper management to treat its staff and the AMV community poorly. Nearly all of the editors I know didn’t enter this year, myself included. I won’t be defending my Iron Editor title, either, since the programming is dead. The competition can afford to flounder for a year, if it sends a message to management. AX screwed up. AMV fans won’t combust over a single flopped contest, and I bet they would understand, if only these issues were discussed openly. So far, only editors seem to be aware of the situation. Not viewers. I hold no ill-will against the new coordinators, but I agree that AX no longer deserves an unblemished AMV record. Not this year.
You mean... most of the best AMV editors don't enter this because the higher-ups treat their staff like crap?
Hi there! Not the "best" editors, but just editors in general... veterans and newer editors alike this year. A number of editors decided not to enter the contest in protest to management's treatment of their AMV staff, as described in the first post on this thread. The AMV team indicated that they hold no grudges against AX, and they have good memories of running the contest, but I personally feel that management's actions were disrespectful to their staff who have run a kickass contest and programing for years. We know AX is a juggernaut, but its visibility is all the more reason it should be held to higher standards.
Looking at the records of previous AX's that I submitted to, there's definitely a big hit in the number of entries this year, with the boycott being one of the major factors (alongside the late start date, the anti-troll rule, and a real lack of promotion). Usually, AX would get around 200 entries each year (and that's not including the videos that get DQ'ed). This year, the total is only 145, and I don't know if that's the total of videos after DQ's or the total number of videos all together.
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:29 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Not 200. Used to get like 260 or so acutally. So this is just over half
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2020 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2020 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 10 (2003) - 27 (2020) AMV Coordinator

User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2001 8:45 pm
Status: Retired from AMVs
Location: California
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo AMV - Farewell & thanks for the memories

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Castor Troy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:30 am
AX is too cool for the rules.
I see the haunted house you're stuck in has WiFi. :wink:
I'm tethering from the creepy doll's internet connection right now. :P
Rider4Z wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:24 pm
At the risk of sounding apathetic to the new coordinators and the folks caught in the middle of this fiasco, any attempt to assist in present and future fuck ups will only help leave an unblemished record regarding the amv contest.

The AMV staff at AX quit because AX thinks anyone is replaceable and they owe no apologies to anyone. They don't deserve our time or our efforts. Not as they are. A failed AMV contest is the only thing I see happening that could actually get their attention. "Oh but the fans..." AX is not and has never been the only place to access AMVs. Fans can and will find them elsewhere, and if they knew how AX treated the AMV staff they'd likely understand and agree AX messed up.
AX: Where having people work for free is still too expensive for them. :shark:
Rider4Z wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am
Dunno why i felt like sharing this. It's my very first contest intro and the first year Troy took over. The contest took a major jump in production quality that year and maintained that quality for 7 years.

I bet the new intro will be the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie sped up to 1000% and have the AX AMV Competition logo overlayed on it. The fans will still be wow'ed! :bzz:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Locked

Return to “AMV Contests”