AWA VAT 2018 Professional Awards Discussion

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: AWA VAT 2018 Professional Awards Discussion

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Tasha Livingstone wrote:Could someone add me to the new discord chat? When I click on the link, everything is blank.
Have you sent jingoro a PM about this?

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 am

I almost put in a post here saying we got this too... Thanks for looking out for it, TnAdct1.

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 am

Soooo I have put together my professional awa reviews. Like last year they are to be evaluated with lucky charm marshmallows...

This year is a little special because as I'm sure you all know, they have come out with the new MAGICAL UNICORN marshmallow. I've made a tiny version to use this year, and I more or less used these for the videos that really stood out and are top favs of mine.

The other shapes are for your own interpretation. If you really want to understand where my head was at in any particular video just ask.

Spoiler :
506 - Image Image

510 - Image Image

525 - Image Image

548 - Image Image

549 - Image Image

565 - Image Image

571 - Image Image

585 - Image Image

586 - Image Image

589 - Image

597 - Image

598 -Image

607 - Image Image Image

612 - Image Image Image Image

620 - Image Image Image

630 - Image Image Image

653 - Image Image Image

656 - Image

665 - Image

674 - Image Image

680 - Image Image Image

692 - Image Image

696 - Image

699 - Image Image

701 - Image

706 - Image Image

726 - Image Image Image

733 - Image Image

737 - Image Image

739 - Image Image

741 - Image Image Image

752 - Image Image

756 - Image Image

757 - Image Image

758 - Image Image

764 - Image Image

771 - Image Image

780 - Image Image Image

792 - Image

801 - Image Image

805 - Image Image

809 - Image

828 - Image Image

834 - Image

840 - Image Image

858 - Image Image

859 - Image Image

869 - Image Image

870 - Image Image

871 - Image Image Image

873 - Image Image

882 - Image

887 - Image Image

888 - Image Image

896 - Image Image Image

906 - Image Image

909 - Image

917 - Image Image

919 - Image Image

920 - Image Image

929 - Image

931 - Image Image

932 - Image Image Image

934 - Image Image

935 - Image Image Image

940 - Image Image Image

966 - Image

967 - Image Image Image

969 - Image Image

985 - Image

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 am

i'm posting my reviews later today i just want to get this out there before more people vote.

ive seen so many people downplay or write off the videos with lgbt romances as the focus saying things like "i guess if you ship them it's a romance." honestly, this infuriates me because in past years i've seen people praise videos that at the end of the day were just a guy and a girl staring at each other while the song explains what they are feeling.

people assume videos with a guy and a girl relationship focus are romances, but anything remotely lgbt is said to just be friends or "bromances". it's perfectly ok to assume a guy and a girl from an anime you have never seen are dating, but it's "shipping" if you think the same about a gay relationship, even when the source is relatively open with its including gay relationships. it's really kinda offensive. videos this year like 548 (bi representation!!!), 585, 739, 896, and to a lesser extent 510 make it very clear through storytelling, scene selection, and lyrics that they are intended to be at least partially a romance and i hope they aren't snubbed in the noms just because they went a less common route.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 am

PieandBeer wrote:i'm posting my reviews later today i just want to get this out there before more people vote.

ive seen so many people downplay or write off the videos with lgbt romances as the focus saying things like "i guess if you ship them it's a romance." honestly, this infuriates me because in past years i've seen people praise videos that at the end of the day were just a guy and a girl staring at each other while the song explains what they are feeling.

people assume videos with a guy and a girl relationship focus are romances, but anything remotely lgbt is said to just be friends or "bromances". it's perfectly ok to assume a guy and a girl from an anime you have never seen are dating, but it's "shipping" if you think the same about a gay relationship, even when the source is relatively open with its including gay relationships. it's really kinda offensive. videos this year like 585, 739, 896, and to a lesser extent 510 make it very clear through storytelling, scene selection, and lyrics that they are intended to be at least partially a romance and i hope they aren't snubbed in the noms just because they went a less common route.
739 is called "Protege" tho. It's not a romance.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:16 am

Rider4Z wrote: 739 is called "Protege" tho. It's not a romance.
the bar for gay romance videos is so much higher than for vids with hetero romances. one of the characters in that video is canonly gay and the song is blatantly romantic in nature. put the lyric "you make me whole", "you make sense of who i am" and "i know i'm finally yours" in any boy x girl amv and people will automatically see it as romance. theres a clear focus on keith and shiro towards the end.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am

PieandBeer wrote:
the bar for gay romance videos is so much higher than for vids with hetero romances. one of the characters in that video is canonly gay and the song is blatantly romantic in nature. put the lyric "you make me whole", "you make sense of who i am" and "i know i'm finally yours" in any boy x girl amv and people will automatically see it as romance. theres a clear focus on keith and shiro towards the end.
I don't see it that way myself. I saw Keith as one of the members of Voltron and the lyrics are about the team. Yes Shiro is canonnly gay but that doesn't mean he's automatically attracted to Keith. And nothing in the video suggests Keith is attracted to Shiro. It's definitely sentimental and relational but I don't think it's a romance.

If the series ends with them as an item I'll take it back.

You're right about the bar being different for a gay couple, but if Shiro and Keith were opposite genders I'd still say it's not a romance. If you see it that's fine, but I don't.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 am

Rider4Z wrote:
PieandBeer wrote:
I don't see it that way myself. I saw Keith as one of the members of Voltron and the lyrics are about the team. Yes Shiro is canonnly gay but that doesn't mean he's automatically attracted to Keith. And nothing in the video suggests Keith is attracted to Shiro. It's definitely sentimental and relational but I don't think it's a romance.

If the series ends with them as an item I'll take it back.
the second to last shot in the video is shiro in keith's arms to the lyric "you can make me whole" like that is faaaaaaar more than a friendship its far more than just sentimental.

a nisekoi vid showing a different relationship than the one that wins in the end is still a romance. it doesn't need to be canon to be a romance i was just pointing out that the gay relationship would fit into the story's universe, so there isn't that much of a leap.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

PieandBeer wrote:the second to last shot in the video is shiro in keith's arms to the lyric "you can make me whole" like that is faaaaaaar more than a friendship its far more than just sentimental.

a nisekoi vid showing a different relationship than the one that wins in the end is still a romance. it doesn't need to be canon to be a romance i was just pointing out that the gay relationship would fit into the story's universe, so there isn't that much of a leap.
It's not and I get that. I just feel the lyrics are shiro speaking about his team. The ending scene he's surrounded by the paladins and the lions. And the very last shot specifically the lions are all around looking down on him. That shot chokes me up every time. Shiro was not just their leader, he was their friend and not just someone to be thrown away because of his personal struggles. Keith was very much driven to rescue shiro but for reasons bigger than romantic. The idea that Keith fought for Shiro just because he was romantically interested really cheapens it for me and that's really the point I want to make clear.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Shiro and Keith being a couple at all, I just don't believe that's what the video's about.

Return to “AMV Contests”