AWA VAT 2018 Professional Awards Discussion

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: AWA VAT 2018 Professional Awards Discussion

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 am

PieandBeer wrote:i'm posting my reviews later today i just want to get this out there before more people vote.

ive seen so many people downplay or write off the videos with lgbt romances as the focus saying things like "i guess if you ship them it's a romance." honestly, this infuriates me because in past years i've seen people praise videos that at the end of the day were just a guy and a girl staring at each other while the song explains what they are feeling.

people assume videos with a guy and a girl relationship focus are romances, but anything remotely lgbt is said to just be friends or "bromances". it's perfectly ok to assume a guy and a girl from an anime you have never seen are dating, but it's "shipping" if you think the same about a gay relationship, even when the source is relatively open with its including gay relationships. it's really kinda offensive. videos this year like 585, 739, 896, and to a lesser extent 510 make it very clear through storytelling, scene selection, and lyrics that they are intended to be at least partially a romance and i hope they aren't snubbed in the noms just because they went a less common route.
739 is called "Protege" tho. It's not a romance.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:16 am

Rider4Z wrote: 739 is called "Protege" tho. It's not a romance.
the bar for gay romance videos is so much higher than for vids with hetero romances. one of the characters in that video is canonly gay and the song is blatantly romantic in nature. put the lyric "you make me whole", "you make sense of who i am" and "i know i'm finally yours" in any boy x girl amv and people will automatically see it as romance. theres a clear focus on keith and shiro towards the end.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am

PieandBeer wrote:
the bar for gay romance videos is so much higher than for vids with hetero romances. one of the characters in that video is canonly gay and the song is blatantly romantic in nature. put the lyric "you make me whole", "you make sense of who i am" and "i know i'm finally yours" in any boy x girl amv and people will automatically see it as romance. theres a clear focus on keith and shiro towards the end.
I don't see it that way myself. I saw Keith as one of the members of Voltron and the lyrics are about the team. Yes Shiro is canonnly gay but that doesn't mean he's automatically attracted to Keith. And nothing in the video suggests Keith is attracted to Shiro. It's definitely sentimental and relational but I don't think it's a romance.

If the series ends with them as an item I'll take it back.

You're right about the bar being different for a gay couple, but if Shiro and Keith were opposite genders I'd still say it's not a romance. If you see it that's fine, but I don't.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 am

Rider4Z wrote:
PieandBeer wrote:
I don't see it that way myself. I saw Keith as one of the members of Voltron and the lyrics are about the team. Yes Shiro is canonnly gay but that doesn't mean he's automatically attracted to Keith. And nothing in the video suggests Keith is attracted to Shiro. It's definitely sentimental and relational but I don't think it's a romance.

If the series ends with them as an item I'll take it back.
the second to last shot in the video is shiro in keith's arms to the lyric "you can make me whole" like that is faaaaaaar more than a friendship its far more than just sentimental.

a nisekoi vid showing a different relationship than the one that wins in the end is still a romance. it doesn't need to be canon to be a romance i was just pointing out that the gay relationship would fit into the story's universe, so there isn't that much of a leap.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

PieandBeer wrote:the second to last shot in the video is shiro in keith's arms to the lyric "you can make me whole" like that is faaaaaaar more than a friendship its far more than just sentimental.

a nisekoi vid showing a different relationship than the one that wins in the end is still a romance. it doesn't need to be canon to be a romance i was just pointing out that the gay relationship would fit into the story's universe, so there isn't that much of a leap.
It's not and I get that. I just feel the lyrics are shiro speaking about his team. The ending scene he's surrounded by the paladins and the lions. And the very last shot specifically the lions are all around looking down on him. That shot chokes me up every time. Shiro was not just their leader, he was their friend and not just someone to be thrown away because of his personal struggles. Keith was very much driven to rescue shiro but for reasons bigger than romantic. The idea that Keith fought for Shiro just because he was romantically interested really cheapens it for me and that's really the point I want to make clear.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Shiro and Keith being a couple at all, I just don't believe that's what the video's about.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:08 pm

I will also point out that if shipping two heterosexual characters counts as a romance, then two homosexual characters would too. Whether the relationship is canon to the series should (imo) have no bearing on it being a romance video or not. In fact, a non-canon relationship might also qualify for a Storytelling award, again imo.

That said, the rules are clear... vote your conscience. It is OK to explain your positions here, but it will never be OK to slight anyone for their interpretations. Art is not absolutes. Neither are relationships, for that matter. ;-)

Be excellent to each other.
Party on, dudes.

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Here are all my AWA Reviews!
Spoiler :
Ok! So I went through all the videos several times over and here are my thoughts! I will be using ccs gifs and a brief message!

This was so unexpected! I love the fact its more serious and focused on family narrative. The song suited the scene selection so well! Love this take on Lego Batman!

Such a fun catchy song to such a sad series XD Its both really well done and a unique way to use the scenes on 4 panels. But at the same so conflicted emotionally because It both sad and happy on two entirely different spectrums! But really nicely executed!

I LOVE this movie! The beginning had a bit of slow start but got better towards the end. The song and scenes seemed to work really well too! This was super fun and energetic!

This was SOOO CUTE! Love the timing and the scenes. Its was goofy, cute and silly but the right amount of romance and fluff and fun! Great job! It was “beautiful.”

This just made me smile. It just SCREAMS 90's and I love it! Very nostalgic and edited in a way that feels like early 90's official music video would be edited. Great job and you got me smiling from ear to ear!

You definitely rocked me with this fun remix of a classic song! I love Gurren Laggan and I never though putting these two together! You did a spectacular job with timing and getting me pumped up!

This...This is all I got out of the video

I can't express how much I love Of Monsters and Men music. So pairing this with Breath of the Wild was a trip. I admit it was a tad jarring upon my first viewing, not that it was bad in any sense, just the fact I had edited to Wind Waker to this song not too long ago. I had to separate myself from own amv and look at this from a different angle. I loved how fluid the video itself was, everything seemed to fall into place so neatly. It was such a surreal but beautiful experience, thank you.

This is so bitter sweet! You can feel there is a lot of emotion put into this. I love the combination of the happy and sadder moments together. Overall I really enjoyed this, it's one of my favorites this year!

Very atmospheric and kinda creepy. Although I am not a huge fan of this kinda music, I know how hard rap/hop hop amvs can be. This was done extremely well! It was mesmerizing and made me interested in the show.

WOW a live action mix! I haven't seen all these movies yet, but I loved the action and the pacing of the video. SO many of the scenes flowed seamlessly together even though the sources were all different. Love the Hermonie punch scene in particular! SO GOOD!

Here have an English magician. That song was oddly fitting! Dark, gritty and full of action. I feel like whoever editing this had a ton of fun doing so and it shows!

I really, really liked this amv. I loved the internal sync and timing with the action scenes. It was really well executed! You did a fantastic job!

I don't know this series but I really love the music and scene combo. It was so weird but also worked! Just kinda like pb and j. Just a dd combination of things that just melt into this perfect little meal. So I really enjoyed this!

You have one fantastic atmospheric amv here. I really love the vibes it gave off. I just feel the fogging effect was a bit overused in some areas were I couldn't really tell what the scene was. But I also liked it as it really added to the aesthetic of the amv.

I wasn't a huge fan of this in the beginning but I really got into it towards the end. I felt some effects were a bit much but you hit all the “beats” well with the timing and use of those effects! Good job!

I am both baffled and amazed by how well this fits. This just works surprising well.

O_O... What???

Why would you make me cry like this?! OVER POTATOES AND MOLASSES!!!!

I just wanted to have en excuse to use this gif...

That was one good ol' hockey video. Had me laughing and smiling through the whole thing! XD Such a simple concept executed really well and just made me so happy XD I don't even care for hockey either XD

I never thought I'd see a Naruto (or Boruto) amv that would make me genuinely curious to get back into the series (I gave up when Shipuden started). Everything was timed so well and paced perfectly to the song! You did a wonderful job!

I never thought this song would work with this movie but you pulled it off quite nicely! I love how its not sticking to a straight narrative and you mixed elements from childhood to their teenage years. Some I felt some scenes went on too long or too little at certain points but only by a smidge. Overall Great job!

I love the concept behind this! A bit too literal with the lyrics but the abrupt garbling in the middle gave such a chilling mood change I loved it XD. Some areas I feel could use a little touch up in terms of pacing and pans. I really like the used of black and white to color changes you did as well!

This was awesome! I love the mix of drama and action! You did a great job balancing out those scenes. There were a few areas I felt needed to be touched up a little (mostly minor little nitpicks) didn't really distract from the overall flow or enjoyment of the amv for me! Really loved this! Great job!

This was extremely well edited but I am conflicted if I am supposed to take this seriously or a comedy XD. IT IS SOO WELL DONE! I am just so torn on it because at parts I laughed and others I felt bad for Shinji XD

I am so jealous of your sync and timing! Absolutely love the trailer! It was such a great combination!

Hold me T^T This was very heart felt tribute to Steve Erwin and I likes how you tried to make it a story about Steve saving the crocodile and other animals he came across. Your timing was just spot on!

That was explosive! Love the timing and a fun take on the song! The action scenes flowed nicely between each other and was timed really well with the harsh beats of the music. Love the addition of cosplay elements towards the end and making it from a action amv to a tribute to to showcase the love people show for their favorite shows through conventions!

Aggresuko!!! This was a great song choice fort he series! The tv effect was a nice touch and I think it worked with the amv. The scene selection and timing was perfect! Good job!

This was SO epic that I could die happy! Some love the transitions and the flow so much! Just WOW

I have yet to finish season 1 of Voltron but you did a great job with building the amv emotionally. There was just right amount of drama with hope. You did a great job with such a slow placed song to keep the viewer engaged and wanting to know what would happen next!

That was definitely a trip! This was very surreal and different. I love seeing older anime being highlighted and you did a great job! There was a certain ethereal flow to the video, which I rather liked a lot. I love the build up of scifi before it gets trippy!

This was an emotional roller coaster. It was beautifully edited with so much heartache and triumph. You showcased overcoming ones inner demons and trauma very well. This was very emotional and intense, you did a great job!

That was was really morbid for such a upbeat song. Good scene selection though!

Poor Retsuko! Love the song choice and the scenes matched perfectly! This was extremely well done and made really happy to see Regsuko having more amvs!

Why would you toy with my emotions like that?! I haven't seen the Christopher Robin movie but the addition of the animated Winnie the Pooh was a nice touch. It really hit me emotionally.

ANOTHER CAT'S DON'T DANCE AMV???!!! YAY! This one drives home the more drama side of the movie which I like. The song is perfect fit for the film. Great job!

This was so dark and intense . I love it XD great build up of atmosphere and the horror in this. That flower is SCARY! I really love the scene selection and everything just builds up more and more as the song goes on until it gets so intense at the end! Great job!

Still haven't seen Deadpool but this was just awesome! The song seemed to fit really well along with the scene selection. Great use of action and everything flowed well! You were definitely on fire with this video!

This was so FUN!!! catchy song and fun visuals! Nice used of live action and just a great video overall! Good job!

That was intense! I love the remix of the song and it fit so well with Ancient Magnus Bride! Love the use of effects and the scene selection was just mesmerizing! Amazing work!

I am feeling a bit of Dejavu XD Anyways I love Metropolis and this song XD You did a great job capturing the movie with this song. I especially love the build up towards the end! Great job!

Oh boy! I am so happy I finished Seven Deadly Sins recently! I really enjoyed this from the drama to action! It was just so seamless and everything from transitions to the pacing of scenes just were just on point! Wonderful job!

This was really well done! I haven't finished this series but the scenes you chose built up the drama nicely. The action segments work well for the hard beats in the amv as well! Great job!

Why would you do this???!!! Why would you give me feelings for a anime lady cockroach???!! It was well timed and flowed well. Wish there was higher quality. Good job.

I haven't finished this series yet, but man do I love it so far! From what I could gather from what I have seen this song suits the series really well! I loved your scene selection between action and drama. I did feel the zoom in transitions were a bit over used but it didn't deter my enjoyment of this amv. Great job!

This was AWESOME! Got me rocking out for a bit there! A great trailer for sure! Wonderful job!

I could sing praises for this amv ALL day. I don't know the series but I dunno I just loved it! From action scenes to the romance and character expressions it was just a huge delight to watch!

This was breathtaking. It was both sad and heartwarming. I just LOVE this. I loved how simplistic it was and just let the scenes carry the weight of the song. One of my favorites this year.

I love flow and scene choices. I don't know this series but this amv was both heartfelt and intriguing. Everything just fell into place and told a beautiful narrative about young love. Great job!

This was so trippy... I LOVE IT. *_*

This had a nice flow to it. Was not prepared for a live action and anime combo for motorocycles but this worked fairly well. Only criticism is that I felt it became a little repetitive towards the end but overall it was a unique video!

I LOVE YOU!!!! LWA AND THE WORST WITCH???!!!! Just made my day XD

This was just lovely, oh so so very lovely. I love the pacing and you laid out for the characters interactions and scenarios. It felt very organic. Great job!

This was a pleasant surprise! I never thought this song to go with the Lego movie. But you just pulled this off so well that I am absolutely giddy over it! This makes me want to edit with the Lego movie honestly!

This was SOOO GOOD. I don't know the series but you can feel the emotion and tension in this. You can feel the inner conflicts some of these characters are feeling and the love they have for one another. Great pacing and timing. Everything flowed perfectly!

That ending... I didn't expect that. O_O I liked how simplistic the videos started but got more intricate as it went on. Love the use of game footage and anime in this. Definitely added a lot to the amvs tones and beat. Great job! Just omg that ending!

This was... omg JUST SO CREATIVE! I loved it! I honestly have no words other then just pure love for this. Here you get an extra Gif!

Well I guess this kinda explains the series too me? I... I still don't get it. But it was edited nicely and the text wasn't too bothersome too me. I don't like text in videos normally so kudos to you!

I actually have a great DISTAIN for this song (I have my reasons). BUT oh boy! You made one great my hero amv here! You balanced out the action and drama really well! A few areas I felt needed to be touched up, but more of personal nitpicks really. Great job! You should be proud!

Let me say that I just absolutely ADORE this amv! It made me sooo happy! It had good timing and you matched scenes (from what series I know of) so well! Just a great video that made me smile!

Although I didn't understand the song, I like how it was edited! It had good flow and while the song seems to have been a difficult one to pair with anime, you did a splendid job!

This had me Pumped! I feel like this might be a mep or collab (I could be wrong though). The scenes were extremely well paced and very fluid from masks transitions to hard cuts. Everything just moved into each scene and beat so well! Despite all the different animes everything synced to the beat nearly flawlessly.

That was both mind blowing and disturbing. I don't know the movie or series but you have me interested. It was very atmospheric and intense. You paced out the scenes really well and just left me in Awe!

This was unexpected but so fun! Great lip sync and timing and made me laugh XD And LOOOK Icchan made a small cameo in CCS here XD (to bad they didn't add Chitose like the manga) XD Anyways this was really well done and I kinda wanted to see more but you ended it in a way that still made me giggle. This was so FUN! Sp jealous of your lip sync skills!

Wh- what was that?!!!??!!

That was intense! I really like the use of the effects in this. It definitely gave the amv a different feel compared to others. The beat and pacing was great! Especially loved your use of cards and other game pieces to hit the beats of the music. Only complaint is the ending I felt the sudden music shift was a tad jarring but still extremely well done.

The amv had excellent timing and you did a outstanding job at balancing the love of these two characters and the drama they face! Your editing was so smooth and you definitely captured how much hope the boy gives the demon girl.

I couldn't quite follow the story but I love the fact that there is a nice use of game place in this videogame amv. The action and destruction displayed with the music worked really well. Kinda cinematic in a way with its pacing and flow.

This makes me want to watch the series! While it has seemingly has simplistic editing, the story is very easy to read. I love the eternal sync with the movements and dancing to the beat of the song. The tone of the video and the scene selection were on point! You can tell there was a lot of love put into this video. Great Job!

Wanted to use Touya in his princess dress but couldn't find a gif of it XD This was quite clever and fun! Lip sync was great as was the timing and the silly product placement! Great job!

I hope you all enjoyed my reviews and CCS gifs! YOU ALL MADE FANTASTIC AMVS THIS YEAR!

PantsAMV
Org Profile

Post by PantsAMV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Hey guys I'm giving all of your vids 4 words each cause im lazy af pls dont take any of these seriously and if u want serious feedback pm me (ill help u make ur vid worse)
Spoiler :
506-save me too pls
510-big size nice screens
525-Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat.
548-too young for this
549-best in show thx
565-why are you whispering?
571-soothing thanks i love
585-i like the gey
586-why her body gone :(
589-needs footage of me
597-that tongue is yum
598-bic nazi loli eyes
607-dang nice man d00d
612-gott seizure dont reccomend3ryn
620-boop boop boop boop
630-hey i love you
653-this is so sad
656-no potato im cry
665-i wnt eat cow
674-god damn candadians mang
680-best most favoritest title :D
692-like the ending good
696-im on a boat
699-shinji is my mood
701-i love megalo circle
706-can you hold me
726-found a fate fan
733-thnks four censoring f*** :D
737-let me inhale smok
739-im on a spaceship
741-im actually too young
752-best romance comedy video
756-i wont forgiv u >:|
757-an actuall mood tho
758-who is that bear?
764-Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat.
771-love me some hellsing
780-i liek cocinae haha
792-what is star wars
801-i love licking shibby
805-circuitry HAHA I GET
809-very sm00th i like
828-i liek colors hehe
834-invade my houes pls
840-sotp push trnasitions pl0x
858-the opeatics secion huh
859-revel in MY dark ;))) ;)))
869-her name is sToRmBrEaKeR
870-shaft me hard daddy
871-elephnat setp on me
873-run me over thanks
882-love genderbent harri potti
887-COOLEST VIDEO IN CONTEST
888-strong legos big thunder
896-i love yuri bears
906-want to die too
909-this is creepy mang
917-yes but why though
919-hello anime expo action
920-i will ignite myself
929-나는 거북이 정말 좋아해.
931-wombat harness proves otherwise
932-my brain doesnt exist
934-why u hate me
935-an absolute masterpiece amazing
940-chill with the effects
966-id ride zero two
967-took him down nice
969-i love THOSE EYES
985-so beautiful i cri ;((

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi everyone! It's that time of year again where everybody is waiting in anticipation for well-thought out Pro reviews. HOWEVER! Mine are not those. I just wanted to have a little fun this year and you'll see what I mean. But, I hope you find them amusing even if you're confused. If I really had something to say, I wrote a quick sentence under the number. I also had a system of 3 emojis:
:up: = Liked
<3 = Loved
:ying: = Favorites
If anyone wants a serious review of theirs, you can PM me and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about them. I just didn't want to do it seventy times if I didn't have to, haha. Anyways, enjoy!
Spoiler :
18-506R

<3 18-510R

<3 18-525R

:up: 18-548R

:ying: 18-549R

:up: 18-565R

:up: 18-571R

18-585R
I think some more cuts and Ken burns (slow pans in or out) would help!

18-586R
Respect you for the ambition, but masks could use some cleaning up.
Also, I think there might be higher quality footage out there right now.

<3 18-589R
Something may be up with Star Wars footage.

<3 18-597R
Nice literal sync

:up: 18-598R
Might consider cutting that last bit off with the map

:ying: 18-607R
WHY THE DEMON BITE THOUGH?!

18-612R
MY BRAND!

<3 18-620R

:up: 18-630R

:up: 18-653R
That's so sad

:up: 18-656R

18-665R

:up: 18-674R

:ying: 18-680R
MOMMY'S ALRIGHT! DADDY'S ALRIGHT! THE GIRLS ARE ALRIGHT!

18-692R

<3 18-696R

18-699R

:up: 18-701R

<3 18-706R

:up: 18-726R
I think if you use live action footage, it could be spread out more throughout

:up: 18-733R

:up: 18-737R
Where is C.C.? She's the best girl. You went to the soup store instead.

:up: 18-739R

18-741R

:ying: 18-752R

<3 18-756R

:up: 18-757R

<3 18-758R

:up: 18-764R

<3 18-771R
The scariest part of the video was the Hellsing clip

<3 18-780R
Is this a parody? I just need to know. Please.

<3 18-792R

:up: 18-801R

<3 18-805R

:up: 18-809R

18-828R

<3 18-834R

18-840R
A little less on the transitions and you'll be solid

:ying: 18-858R

<3 18-859R

:up: 18-869R

:ying: 18-870R
Hey. Let's be best friends, editor.

:ying: 18-871R

18-873R

18-882R

:up: 18-887R
I think some of footage is in different quality.

:up: 18-888R

:up: 18-896R
I finally understand the lyrics.

<3 18-906R

18-909R

18-917R

18-919R

18-920R

:up: 18-929R

18-931R

:ying: 18-932R
Makes me want to watch the show. That's a good sign.

<3 18-934R

<3 18-935R

18-940R
Very ambitious, but I would focus less on the effects and more on story

:up: 18-966R

18-967R

:up: 18-969R
Love the song, but could use more movement in the video especially since it's a dancing anime

18-985R
ImageImage

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 am

I need to stop being lazy and transcribe my notes from paper. I hope to have them up today or tomorrow.

Return to “AMV Contests”