Iron Editor - Otakon 2018

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

Iron Editor - Otakon 2018

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Roll call!
New student Shorisquared tries to prove his worth to senior classmate and returning champion, BecauseImBored1.

What is this I don't even...
Each contestant will have two hours to create an AMV that doesn't suck and adheres to the theme of "Back to School". Only one editor will emerge victorious and graduate to next year's class. This test will be open book, as each editor will be allowed to bring as many notes as they wish.

How?
Each contestant will be given 5 anime sources, and all five must be used. Each contestant is allowed to cut their audio ahead of time and bring it with them to the event. They may bring multiple tracks if they so desire, as no audio will be provided during the event. In addition, each editor must use at least 1 second of the secret ingredient.

Sources:
Assassination Classroom
Azumanga Daioh
Great Teacher Onizuka
I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs
Cromartie High School
Plus a secret ingredient too awesome to list!

When and Where:
Friday, August 10th @ 7:30pm in the AMV Theater (WEWCC 144)
Last edited by VicBond007 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: Iron Editor - Otakon 2018

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:28 pm

VicBond007 wrote:PS: Iron Editor will be Friday evening this time around, so if you plan to show up at Otakon "after work" on Friday, you might be cutting it a little close.
Two things to say in terms of Iron Editor happening on Friday:

1. With that event happening Friday evening, I'm guessing that the contest screening on Friday will be at a similar time as last year (i.e. 1:00PM). Am I correct?

2. Any reason for the event happening on Friday instead of Saturday?

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Call me when AWA comes around ;)

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am

TnAdct1 wrote:Two things to say in terms of Iron Editor happening on Friday:

1. With that event happening Friday evening, I'm guessing that the contest screening on Friday will be at a similar time as last year (i.e. 1:00PM). Am I correct?

2. Any reason for the event happening on Friday instead of Saturday?
I try not to talk about the schedule until the schedule gets released, since having multiple revisions "out there" tends to cause confusion, but whatever. This is the disclaimer that everything is subject to change.

Right now, the Friday contest is scheduled for noon, and the Saturday contest is scheduled for 9:45am.

I know these times aren't ideal. The reason for this is that for 2018, we only have 2 rooms that could physically support the AMV contest. Main events (~2500 seats) and Featured Events (~1200 seats). Main is pretty much locked down for opening/closing ceremonies, the masquerade, the concerts, and everything that those entail (rehearsals, sound checks, etc). That leaves us with Featured Events or nothing. Even with a simulcast, we'd be turning people away from both rooms if we went with any other video room for the contest.

We have to dance around several massive industry events that need to happen at specific times. These are major events. This isn't 2008's Ramen Fighter Miki bumping the non-finalists screening off of the grid. Trust me. I always stick up for you folks, it's just a very tough squeeze this year. Also, featured events is separated by main only by an airwall. It's very well insulated, but it's still an airwall. Basically, any time a concert is happening next door, we'd be fighting a losing battle against their audio, and that wouldn't be fair to either the contest attendees or the conCERT attendees. Fun fact, last year one of our concerts got noise complaints from down the street. Trust me, we don't want to be next to that.

Basically, that's the best that we could do for contest times. The only other solution would be to loop the contest in AMV Theater, but that would kill all of the other amazing programming that we have planned for you guys.

Iron Editor is on Friday for similar reasons. We do what we must because we can.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Return to “AMV Contests”