Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info - FINALISTS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:52 am

Less than a week to go. I know y'all aren't waiting 'till the last minute! :)
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Cirera wrote::bzz: I applaud this rule. :bzz2:
If your entry has won a major categorical award, First Place or Best in Show at any convention that has screened their contest before June 7th 2018 (yes, this is a Thursday), then your entry will be automatically be entered into the OTAKON® AMV Contest as a "non-finalist" (this is different than being disqualified!).
That one time I won something, now I can't submit it anymore.
I'll try to whip something decent up before the deadline. |:>
First, I myself am also a fan of the anti-troll rule for a couple of reason, be it freshness in entries (it does get tiring seeing the same video at every convention, and it would allow some videos that could get lost in the shuffle at other cons to finally shine) or the fact that the anti-troll rules gives me an idea of which AMV's I can watch without having to worry about them being at Otakon (I usually try to hold off watching Otakon videos before the con itself, thus allowing for a fresh experience come con time).

As for the trickiness of avoiding the anti-troll rule, the hope of my video making the finals at Otakon is one reason why I usually hold off entering my Otakon submission to other cons until the anti-troll cut-off date is passed.
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Looking for an Iron Editor challenger:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129544
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:46 pm

The last week crunch is real

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:29 pm

VicBond007 wrote:Less than a week to go. I know y'all aren't waiting 'till the last minute! :)
Minute? No.

But last week. Hell yeah.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:33 am

Cross-posting here because it's relevant:
TnAdct1 wrote:Two things to say in terms of Iron Editor happening on Friday:

1. With that event happening Friday evening, I'm guessing that the contest screening on Friday will be at a similar time as last year (i.e. 1:00PM). Am I correct?

2. Any reason for the event happening on Friday instead of Saturday?
I try not to talk about the schedule until the schedule gets released, since having multiple revisions "out there" tends to cause confusion, but whatever. This is the disclaimer that everything is subject to change.

Right now, the Friday contest is scheduled for noon, and the Saturday contest is scheduled for 9:45am.

I know these times aren't ideal. The reason for this is that for 2018, we only have 2 rooms that could physically support the AMV contest. Main events (~2500 seats) and Featured Events (~1200 seats). Main is pretty much locked down for opening/closing ceremonies, the masquerade, the concerts, and everything that those entail (rehearsals, sound checks, etc). That leaves us with Featured Events or nothing. Even with a simulcast, we'd be turning people away from both rooms if we went with any other video room for the contest.

We have to dance around several massive industry events that need to happen at specific times. These are major events. This isn't 2008's Ramen Fighter Miki bumping the non-finalists screening off of the grid. Trust me. I always stick up for you folks, it's just a very tough squeeze this year. Also, featured events is separated by main only by an airwall. It's very well insulated, but it's still an airwall. Basically, any time a concert is happening next door, we'd be fighting a losing battle against their audio, and that wouldn't be fair to either the contest attendees or the conCERT attendees. Fun fact, last year one of our concerts got noise complaints from down the street. Trust me, we don't want to be next to that.

Basically, that's the best that we could do for contest times. The only other solution would be to loop the contest in AMV Theater, but that would kill all of the other amazing programming that we have planned for you guys.

Iron Editor is on Friday for similar reasons. We do what we must because we can.

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:47 am

I got too ambitious this year and couldn't finish my new vid T-T

DJJonnyBlaze
Org Profile

Post by DJJonnyBlaze » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Studio Hawk wrote:The last week crunch is real
Indeed

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 pm

VicBond007 wrote:Cross-posting here because it's relevant:
TnAdct1 wrote:Two things to say in terms of Iron Editor happening on Friday:

1. With that event happening Friday evening, I'm guessing that the contest screening on Friday will be at a similar time as last year (i.e. 1:00PM). Am I correct?

2. Any reason for the event happening on Friday instead of Saturday?
I try not to talk about the schedule until the schedule gets released, since having multiple revisions "out there" tends to cause confusion, but whatever. This is the disclaimer that everything is subject to change.

Right now, the Friday contest is scheduled for noon, and the Saturday contest is scheduled for 9:45am.

I know these times aren't ideal. The reason for this is that for 2018, we only have 2 rooms that could physically support the AMV contest. Main events (~2500 seats) and Featured Events (~1200 seats). Main is pretty much locked down for opening/closing ceremonies, the masquerade, the concerts, and everything that those entail (rehearsals, sound checks, etc). That leaves us with Featured Events or nothing. Even with a simulcast, we'd be turning people away from both rooms if we went with any other video room for the contest.

We have to dance around several massive industry events that need to happen at specific times. These are major events. This isn't 2008's Ramen Fighter Miki bumping the non-finalists screening off of the grid. Trust me. I always stick up for you folks, it's just a very tough squeeze this year. Also, featured events is separated by main only by an airwall. It's very well insulated, but it's still an airwall. Basically, any time a concert is happening next door, we'd be fighting a losing battle against their audio, and that wouldn't be fair to either the contest attendees or the conCERT attendees. Fun fact, last year one of our concerts got noise complaints from down the street. Trust me, we don't want to be next to that.

Basically, that's the best that we could do for contest times. The only other solution would be to loop the contest in AMV Theater, but that would kill all of the other amazing programming that we have planned for you guys.

Iron Editor is on Friday for similar reasons. We do what we must because we can.
So, from the gist of this, the AMV Contest screenings will be the main Convention Center this time around instead of the Marquis Ballroom (I’m still wondering if this due to a lot of empty seats at the main events last year or if Otakon is planning to use Marquis Ballroom for something different this year, if they even use the Marquis at all).

Time wise, I understand the early screenings, given both last year’s contest and competition against Main Events. As I was expecting to save up major Dealers Room shopping until the contest itself on Friday following last year’s contest (in the case of this year, AMV’s first, shopping second), the early screenings isn’t going to be too much of a problem. However, I still wish Otakon could handle AMV Contest scheduling better in the future (especially when it comes to Saturday, as some people getting their badges on Saturday may need to rush upstairs after pick-up to watch the contest).

Anyways, thanks for the head's up.
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AMV Contests”