This year, MomoCon's AMV Contest will be welcoming submissions that use all forms of animation! MomoCon also has a separate Video Remix (V-MIX) Competition that welcomes Live Action submissions, Cosplay Music Videos, and animated music videos that would either be ineligible or doesn't fit into a AMV Contest category. V-MIX Competition winners will receive an award and a free membership to next year's MomoCon (MomoCon 2019).
We're encouraging editors to submit videos that match our 2018 theme of "Classic Movie Monsters". All accepted submissions to either competition will be eligible to win “MomoCon's 2018 Theme Award” and a $50 cash prize regardless of their genre, content, or whether or not they make finals. This award doesn't have a designated category, and so participants will still need to determine the best fit category for their video if submitting it to the AMV Contest.
We're also giving editors that submit to either competition the opportunity to participate in online voting for all 6 AMV Contest categories and the “Editors' Choice” Award. About a week before the convention, each participant will be given a unique access code to vote for the videos that they'd like to win. For the “Editors' Choice” Award, votes submitted by ballots at the convention will have a weighted value of 3x the value of votes submitted online. Editors are encouraged to attend the convention to submit their votes both online and in person.
2018 AMV & V-MIX Submission Form
- 1a) We allow all forms of Animation. This includes but isn't limited to non Japanese animation like RWBY, Steven Universe, My little Pony, Samurai Jack, Overwatch and League of Legends.
1b) The V-MIX Competition welcomes Live Action submissions, Cosplay Music Videos, and animated music videos that would either be ineligible or doesn't fit into a AMV Contest category.
2) Videos must not contain watermarks or subtitles that were not inserted by the editor. We also ask that your submissions not include intros, credits, or studio bumpers not directly related to the video content.
3) Videos must be of reasonable video and audio quality. We suggest that your video resolution be at least 640x480p, and your frame rate be 23.976fps or higher. We don't recommend submitting files that are greater than 8Bit 1280x720p or 29.97fps.
4a) Videos submitted must be under 6 minutes and only consist of footage edited solely by the entrant(s). Entries that use footage taken from other AMVs will be disqualified.
5) Videos modeled after AMV Hell or similar styled "blipvert" formats will not be accepted into the AMV Contest. Instead, we recommend that those videos be sent to the V-MIX Competition. Collabs and MEPs are allowed, but each participant must be listed on the submission form, and the video must only use a single audio track or a congruent audio mix.
6a) Entrants are only allowed to submit (1) video to a specific AMV Contest category. Also, entrants are allowed to submit to any (2) of the (6) categories. Entrants are allowed to submit to a 3rd AMV Contest category if one of their submissions is to either the Trailer or Comedy/ Parody category. And lastly, a single video can not be submitted to more than one category.
6b) Entrants can submit up to 3 additional videos to the V-MIX Competition. Videos submitted to the V-MIX Competition must not be eligible to participate in the AMV Contest
7) Submitted videos must not contain excessive violence, language or content that would place it above a PG13 rating. This rule will be enforced on a case-by-case basis.
8) Videos that were submitted to prior MomoCon AMV Contests are not eligible to participate. Also, videos that premiered before May 1st, 2017 are discouraged.
9) All submissions must be in MomoCon's possession by 11:59 pm (EST) on Monday, April 23rd, 2018. Attendance to MomoCon is not required to enter the competition and will not improve your odds of winning.
10) Videos that are not selected as finalists in the AMV Contest will be moved to the V-MIX Competition, and be eligible to win awards.
The AMV contest is split into six categories. Entrants are allowed to select the best fit category for each of their submissions, but if our judges strongly disagree with the genre of a submitted video, it may be moved to a better fitting category. *The V-MIX Competition doesn't have any categories, and so all videos submitted to it will be judged against every other submitted video. The AMV Contest categories are as follows:
Drama / Serious
Romance / Sentimental
Fun / Upbeat
Comedy / Parody
The preferred file type is MP4, but we also accept AVI, MPEG-2, WMV, MKV and many more. We strongly discourage submitting QuickTime, DivX, Real Media or Flash Video.
We'll select the top five videos from each category, and screen them during the convention. Finalists will be announced and notified via e-mail about a week after the submission deadline passes. During the AMV Contest screening (May 26th, 2018), MomoCon attendees will vote on which video they feel should win each individual category. Once the votes have been tailed, the winners will be announced at the contest screening and via twitter https://twitter.com/MomoConAMVs . The AMV contest will also be streamed LIVE on MomoCon's twitch channel http://www.twitch.tv/team/momocon
In addition to the awards voted on by the audience, there will also be the following:
- Judges' Choice: Chosen solely by MomoCon volunteer staff prior to the convention.
Coordinator's Choice: Chosen by the AMV Contest Coordinator (Kireblue)
Director's Choice: Chosen by the Co-Chair/ Founder of MomoCon “Jessica Merriman”
Editors' Choice: Chosen by participants that submit to either the AMV or V-MIX competition
Unlike the AMV contest, there will be no finalists for the V-MIX Competition. After the submission deadline passes, our panel of judges will choose videos to receive specific awards that will be announced during the V-MIX Competition screening (May 27th, 2018).
Note: Our panel of judges consists of over a dozen members of MomoCon's AMV and general volunteer staff. This includes various editors from AMV groups such as PixelBlended Studios, Chaotic Bad Raptor Studios, editors that aren't affiliated with any group, and also non-editors. MomoCon does not show any bias or favoritism to any particular group or editor, and takes steps to ensure that each video is judged fairly.
Awards & Prizes:
2018 AMV & V-MIX Submission Form
If your video meets the necessary rules and requirements, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you within 72 hours. Note: At any time, MomoCon reserves the right to not show or ultimately disqualify any video for any reason.
If you have any questions or comments about either contest, you can contact MomoCon's AMV Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
MomoCon is an annual 4-day multi-genre convention held in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. It features many events and programming including vendors, artists, contests, tournaments, celebrity guests, concerts, karaoke, and events targeted at every age group. In 2017, MomoCon welcomed over 31,000 attendees and became the 6th largest anime convention in North America! MomoCon 2018 will take place at the Georgia World Congress Center from May 24th – 27th.
More info about MomoCon can be found here: http://www.momocon.com/