Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest - Main contest finalists announced | HAMV Deadline 3/17

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest - Main contest finalists announced | HAMV Deadline 3/17

Post by LantisEscudo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the 2018 Anime Boston AMV Contest is open!

The rules are here and the FAQ is here.

There are only a few minor changes from last year:
Deadline is March 2, 2018
Maximum video length has been reduced from 6 minutes to 5 minutes

I'm astounded every year with the videos that we get submitted, and I can't wait to see what we get this year.

Good luck to everyone, and get submitting!

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest is open for submissions! Deadline 3/2!

Post by PieandBeer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Hiya Lantis!

I have a question that may also be helpful for other editors. I am working on an upbeat sentimental focusing on family relations (and broken families) and I am having a hard time fitting it into a category. AB is a bit different from other contests of similar size in the way the romance category is a pure romance by definition instead of Romance/Sentimental or just Sentiments. I have seen plenty of sentimental vids be pushed into drama or other (e.g. Drabaz's and Hamstar's videos last year.)

My worry is that, at least in my particular case and possibly for others going for an upbeat sentimental, that there is no real home for the vids without taking away from vids in other categories. Given the nature of my song choice, my video would completely clash against drama vids and honestly I would be pissed if I was in drama finals with a vid that had an upbeat song. The tone is too dark for upbeat and is way too slow to go against dance videos. I feel inclined to send to other, but really I feel like those should be more experimental vids instead of a catch-all for vids that would otherwise fit into the main categories at other contests.

What category would you suggest? To me, it has the exact style of editing as videos in the Romance category with a song that would not clash with other videos. It deals with the same emotions of closeness, happiness, and loss. It simply is not a romantic style of love, but a family. Is there anyway the romance category could be expanded to include family style love and general sentimental? Like, it is kinda weird having sentimental focused videos win two completely different main categories last year.

From your rules this is the definition of romance:
Romance - This video best employs both audio and visual aspects in order to create a romantic mood. The end result is a video that tugs at the heart strings and leaves feelings of happiness, sadness, or any others, but above all, a feeling of romance that the viewer experiences

That is basically the same definition of sentimental from other contests aside from the feeling of romance. Any sentimental video could satisfy those requirements without straying too much into drama. I feel like the only difference is if there is any possibility that the characters get married/do the do yknow? xD

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest is open for submissions! Deadline 3/2!

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Categorization is one of those perennial thorny issues that doesn't have a simple solution. We generally leave it to the editor to select the category they feel is most appropriate for their video. We only recategorized two or three videos last year; both Drabaz and Hamstar's videos were submitted in the categories they competed in.

My rule of thumb for the Drama/Romance/Other dividing lines has been to look at the focus and feel. If the focus is more on the people (Maboroshi's "A Better Place" is a good example from last year), Romance is appropriate. If the focus is more on the feeling, Drama or Other, depending on the tone, would be more appropriate. It's a squishy definition, but it's hard to draw bright lines, especially when videos straddle two or more categories like what you're describing.

We're also actually trying a new method this year for categorization. A judging panel will be watching the videos as they come in and determining whether the video belongs in the category it was submitted in, and will move videos before the prescreening. The editor's original choice will still be given significant weight, but hopefully this will allow categories to be more consistent in tone.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll definitely be looking at rewriting the category descriptions for future years to be clearer.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest is open for submissions! Two Weeks Left! Deadline 3/2!

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi, everyone,

Just a reminder, there's less than two weeks left until the submission deadline, so please get your entries in soon!

We've got a lot of great entries so far, but the numbers in the Trailer/Commercial and Fun/Comedy categories are still a bit low, so we'd love to see more there.

Thanks to everyone who's submitted so far!

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest is open for submissions! Two Weeks Left! Deadline 3/2!

Post by LantisEscudo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi, everyone,

Just a reminder, there's less than a week to go, so please get your entries in soon. Trailer/Commercial and Fun/Comedy in particular still need entries.

Thank you to everyone who's already submitted, and best of luck to everyone in the contest.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest is open for submissions! Last Day to Enter! Deadline 3/2!

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi, everyone.

This is one last reminder that there is only a little over 24 hours left to submit! Please get your entries in as soon as possible!

Also, a quick note, I'm directly in the path of the winter storm bearing down on New England tomorrow, so I may lose power. In that case, I will not be able to send confirmation emails until it's back up, but I will get them out to you as soon as possible. I've been luck in past storms, so crossed fingers. The form WILL CLOSE ON TIME, as it's an automated process. If you may also be in danger of losing power, please upload earlier in the day so you don't miss your chance to submit!

Thank you to everyone who's submitted so far, it's looking like it'll be a fantastic contest and a very difficult selection process for the finalists.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest Main contest submissions closed | HAMV Deadline 3/17

Post by LantisEscudo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi, everyone!

Submissions to the main contest have closed, and we received more than 200 submission forms (about 175 will compete after duplicates/DQs were removed).

In case you missed it on the contest rules page, the Hentai AMV Contest is back again this year, and we need entries.

The deadline is March 17th, and you can enter up to two entries (as long as they're under two years old).

Thanks to everyone who submitted to the main contest, and anyone with Hentai entries, please get them in!

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest - Main contest finalists announced | HAMV Deadline 3/17

Post by LantisEscudo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Hello everyone!

First off, thank you to everyone who submitted a video to Anime Boston 2018's AMV Contest. We received 208 entries this year, 175 of them made it through DQ checking to the prescreening.

Secondly, if you will be attending the convention, there is a traditional unofficial editor meetup for dinner on Thursday evening. All editors are welcome, and you can find more information on the Anime Boston forums: http://forums.animeboston.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22274

And thirdly, the finalists for the AMV Contest at Anime Boston 2018 have been selected and notifications have gone out! If your video was not selected as a finalist, you can catch it on the big screen during the Overflow showings.

The Overflow videos will be shown on Sunday 9AM-3PM in Room 312 of the Hynes. We will also be showing themed blocks and other fan-generated work all weekend, so stop in to check it out!

So,without further ado, in alphabetical order, the finalists are:

AlbinoPlant
AntaresHeart07
Arielle Otsuka
BecauseImBored1
blueshiftofdeath
DNubsPro
DopplerDo
Dragon Girl Sam
drewaconclusion
EnQuatre
FanEditz
Gina Nelson
hamstar138
KeiichiFace (Tsunderbird Studio)
Kirbygal
Kireblue & Mycathatesyou
Kyci
LV
Maboroshi Studio
MadMegatax
ManlyMango
Mica Holmes
MycathatesyouAMV & King Redeem
PaNTSU oF d00m
Paul Geromini
Sean.PNG
shorisquared
Speedy180
Studio Hawk
SuperEltanin
SyncopatedID
Xophilarus
Yue Li

If your name is on this list and you have not received a notification email, let me know and I can resend it.

I'd also like to include another request for Hentai AMVs for the HAMV Contest, which closes on Saturday! We've only got five entries so far, and we need at least seven to hold the contest.

Congratulations to all of the finalists, and thank you again to everyone who submitted.

MalkyTop
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2018 AMV Contest - Main contest finalists announced | HAMV Deadline 3/17

Post by MalkyTop » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am

So I saw a Nisekoi AMV at the overflow but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. If the editor's here, would you refer to me a link so I can take a look at it again?

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:12 am

MalkyTop wrote:So I saw a Nisekoi AMV at the overflow but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. If the editor's here, would you refer to me a link so I can take a look at it again?
Can you describe the nisekoi amv at all?
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”