Katsucon 2018 AMV Submissions are now open!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
KereK
Org Profile

Re: Katsucon 2018 AMV Submissions are now open!

Post by KereK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

The Runner up for Best in Show was Fullmetal Hamilton. I can't remember what Upbeat runner up off the top of my head.

@Drabaz Yep, you did submit the video. No, I haven't figured out a way to get an email confirmation sent out with the system we have in place now.

@TnAdct1, one of the videos that won has already won many awards, we ask in the rules that people not submit AMVs that have won more than 3 awards. However, it's phrased more as a suggestion and not a hard and fast rule. We will be reviewing and revising the rules by next katsucon.

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 am

Drabaz wrote:Do we get emails when we submitted AMVs to this contest? Because I don't have an email confirmation and I honestly don't remember submitting. I'm not calling foul play because it was a long time ago and I probably did just forget that I submitted. But after winning BIS at Otakon (not trying to humble brag) I was satisfied and had no plans to submit the AMV anywhere else. I got the email in January saying my video made it as a finalist and I thought, "oh, okay...I guess I submitted?" I'm sorry for trolling if I did indeed submit. Maybe I was coming down off the high of winning Otakon that I submitted to Katsu soon after? I don't know. But I learned my lesson in 2012 with Hands Up about what trolling was. Again, if it was me, sorry.
I did get a confirmation email for becoming a finalist.

@Maboroshi - I'm definitely guilty of breaking the prize trolling rule too, in part due to winning several awards after submitting to Katsucon. I really wanted to see my video in person one last time so didn't withdraw; however, I agree that we could be stricter on filtering past award winners out. I will try to be better about my submissions too going forward :oops:
Last edited by Studio Hawk on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 am

x Double post by accident

KereK
Org Profile

Post by KereK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am

I think next year I will put on the submission form a question about what Awards an AMV has won. That way we can get a transparent account of what is what.

This is kind of a catch 22 situation. I could ban all vids that have won awards but then would we still get the same amount of submissions? I like the rule because it challenges editors to create something new, but at the same time I don't want to discourage people from entering. The way we have to police what videos go into the show mean we get a lot of DQs due to not only quality but also content (People want any reason to report absolutely anything these days and we walk a fine line of what can and cant be shown. Seriously, you should see the things people are contacting katsu to complain about.)

But I feel a question asking about awards will help us vet the videos a little easier and then we will be able to call upon them if they are needed. Does this sound fair or at least logical? I'm just bouncing around ideas so any feedback is welcome.

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 am

My AMV got runner up in best in show! That's a lot of fun to know. I saw the anti-trolling rules early on, and made sure to follow them, because Katsucon is my favorite con and I like competing in it. As a result, I've missed out on competing with my video at a few conventions, which is a bit of a bummer. But I think for as big and well known a convention as Katsucon is, I think we could be attracting a lot more people to the convention. So I really believe an anti-trolling rule at this time is a bad idea. I think we need to become a more desirable convention to enter before we place more caps on who can compete. And towards becoming a more desirable convention to enter, I think the awards should be something that attracts people in. Something like the golden asukas. I still have my first AMV awards from Katsucon back in 2010 up on my shelf, and I think those are much better compared to digital certificates.

I hope none of this comes off as ungrateful to the people who put all sorts of time and effort into running this contest. I really appreciate it and I'm not trying to be disrespectful.

KereK
Org Profile

Post by KereK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am

NO, I welcome all feedback. Thanks for your honesty, I really like to know these things.

KereK
Org Profile

Post by KereK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 am

BTW, Upbeat's runner up was You're the Best

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm

KereK wrote:BTW, Upbeat's runner up was You're the Best

lol honestly surprised... that video will always be redheaded stepchild since my wife made a vastly superior Sakamoto Desu Ga amv
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm

In regards to the trolling stuff... it was technically a soft rule and any editor could do what they wanted. Me personally I have no issues with editors that entered a video that won 3-5 awards to Katsucon. What I do take issue with is a video that has over 8+ awards tho, but that is just me and I also previously ran a contest with an award freshness hard rule (so maybe I am a harda$$ when it comes to that stuff heh). Since it was a soft rule it was more of a please consider this when entering / honor system and I shouldn't have put it on Kerek and the contest. My bad...
Last edited by MaboroshiStudio on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Miracle_Falcon wrote:My AMV got runner up in best in show! That's a lot of fun to know. I saw the anti-trolling rules early on, and made sure to follow them, because Katsucon is my favorite con and I like competing in it. As a result, I've missed out on competing with my video at a few conventions, which is a bit of a bummer. But I think for as big and well known a convention as Katsucon is, I think we could be attracting a lot more people to the convention. So I really believe an anti-trolling rule at this time is a bad idea.
When it comes to freshness / awards rule I like a 5 award limit... just enough, but not too restrictive. We had 3 at MTAC at first, but increased it after the first year as 3 was difficult.
Miracle_Falcon wrote:I think we need to become a more desirable convention to enter before we place more caps on who can compete. And towards becoming a more desirable convention to enter, I think the awards should be something that attracts people in. Something like the golden asukas.
I honestly would contribute money for awards at cons... each editor contributed a $1 per entry it could possibly pay for awards. Speaking of the golden Asuka's have the new ones shipped yet?

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Return to “AMV Contests”