Katsucon 2018 AMV Submissions are now open!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: Katsucon 2018 AMV Submissions are now open!

Post by TnAdct1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Ballot for the main contest:

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:Ballot for the main contest:

Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.imgur.com/mElja5a.jpg
way so better videos in Upbeat to vote for... lol
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 am

Saturday Morning AMV Contest playlist

My personal comments on the contest in general: I definitely see this as an improvement over last year, with plenty of fresh videos in the contest and a decent amount of variety between the main and Saturday Morning contest.

If there's a couple of things I'd ask in terms of improvement:

1. Personally, I'd like to see some sort of "freshness rule" so that videos that made the finals at both Otakon and Anime USA are ineligible for Katsucon.

2. This could partially be due to me somewhat upset that my video didn't make the finals due to the tough competition I had up against, but I'd like to see the Parody category added to the main contest.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:02 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:Saturday Morning AMV Contest playlist

Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.imgur.com/mYmJ8xy.jpg

My personal comments on the contest in general: I definitely see this as an improvement over last year, with plenty of fresh videos in the contest and a decent amount of variety between the main and Saturday Morning contest.

If there's a couple of things I'd ask in terms of improvement:

1. Personally, I'd like to see some sort of "freshness rule" so that videos that made the finals at both Otakon and Anime USA are ineligible for Katsucon.

2. This could partially be due to me somewhat upset that my video didn't make the finals due to the tough competition I had up against, but I'd like to see the Parody category added to the main contest.
I second this... I am sure guilty of trolling my successful AMVs but I am completely in favor of more freshness rules. I guess the issue here at Katsucon is it is a soft freshness rule / honor system. I didn’t send various videos because of this in the rules so I was disappointed to see a video in the finals that has won well more than 3.

Also why is my Siren video in the main contest and Saturday morning? I honestly wish it was only in 1 contest and a video from another editor was in its place... or was this because there weren’t enough entries?

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote:Also why is my Siren video in the main contest and Saturday morning? I honestly wish it was only in 1 contest and a video from another editor was in its place... or was this because there weren’t enough entries?
Most likely it's a lack of entries in the comedy category.

While there was indeed a growth in entries in the Saturday Morning contest (with TV Spots having enough entries that some people may end up missing the finals, if my previous post is any indication), there's still a few categories (Action, in particular) that lacked entries. As such, some of the entries in the main contest that were considered to be "PG" rated were added to the Saturday Morning Contest to fill the missing spots.

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 am

I'd like to see the contest grow bigger before more freshness rules are introduced.

KereK
Org Profile

Post by KereK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:01 pm

And here is the winners list for the 2018 Katsucon AMVs

AMV SHOWDOWN
ACTION – Heroes – AnteresHeart07
ROMANCE - It Doesn't Feel the Same - DragonGirl Sam
UPBEAT - Anime Masterchef - AnteresHeart07
DRAMA - Fullmetal Hamilton - An American Musical – Miracle Falcon
COMEDY - What Would Anime Jesus Do? – Studio Hawk
BEST IN SHOW - Anime Masterchef - AnteresHeart07
JUDGE’S CHOICE – The Siren - Maboroshi Studio
ASSISTANT COORDINATOR’S CHOICE – Make It Up - Kyci
COORDINATOR’S CHOICE – Language of Love - Cirera & Korppari

NSFW AMVs

ACTION - Hell of a Feeling - shorisquared
DRAMA - S. T. F. D. - JuniperProductions
ECCHI – New Level! - Kyci
COMEDY – Goop Troop - Redeem
BEST IN SHOW - Hell of a Feeling - shorisquared
JUDGE’S CHOICE – Goop Troop - Redeem
ASSISTANT COORDINATOR’S CHOICE – Psiodyne – AlbinoPlant
COORDINATOR’S CHOICE - Thot Provoking Triple Bagel Backspins - UnluckyArtist

Saturday Morning AMVs
ACTION – Deku to Hero - Ivordes Greenleaf
DRAMA – Breathe - PaNTSU oF d00m
UPBEAT – Paid Salary – shorisquared
TV SPOTS - Goku: Ragnarok - UnluckyArtist
COMEDY - Dance! Dance! Dance! - Drabaz
BEST IN SHOW - Dance! Dance! Dance! - Drabaz

KereK
Org Profile

Post by KereK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Also, to respond to why AMVs overlap in the Saturday Morning contest. You guys got it right, There was a lack of videos that were PG enough to show, this year though the PG contest was the most original (we had less bleed over) than any other year - this is it's 3rd year since it's creation and I'm really happy to see it grow.

Did you guys like the email reminders I sent out this year letting you know submissions were open? I want to keep adding to an overall email list so all entrants from previous years know when we're up and running. --Or was that unwanted junk mail?

Would you guys be interested in our audience numbers?

Totals for the weekend:
Showdown - 736
NSFW - 688 <------ WHAT ?!?! THE BIGGEST NSFW TURN OUT EVER! We had to get extra ballots printed for the Saturday show! (Usually I have 500 ballots printed and we have a good amount left over)
Saturday Morning AMV - 106 <---Small numbers but it's an early show (at a 24 hour con anytime before noon is considered early by most :P) and people with young children are always grateful.

Do you like having this extra info or am I just blowing smoke?

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

KereK wrote:Also, to respond to why AMVs overlap in the Saturday Morning contest. You guys got it right, There was a lack of videos that were PG enough to show, this year though the PG contest was the most original (we had less bleed over) than any other year - this is it's 3rd year since it's creation and I'm really happy to see it grow.

Did you guys like the email reminders I sent out this year letting you know submissions were open? I want to keep adding to an overall email list so all entrants from previous years know when we're up and running. --Or was that unwanted junk mail?

Totals for the weekend:
Showdown - 736
NSFW - 688 <------ WHAT ?!?! THE BIGGEST NSFW TURN OUT EVER! We had to get extra ballots printed for the Saturday show! (Usually I have 500 ballots printed and we have a good amount left over)
Saturday Morning AMV - 106 <---Small numbers but it's an early show (at a 24 hour con anytime before noon is considered early by most :P) and people with young children are always grateful.

That is a nice turnout for NSFW!

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 pm

KereK wrote:Also, to respond to why AMVs overlap in the Saturday Morning contest. You guys got it right, There was a lack of videos that were PG enough to show, this year though the PG contest was the most original (we had less bleed over) than any other year - this is it's 3rd year since it's creation and I'm really happy to see it grow.

Totals for the weekend:
Showdown - 736

Congrats to everyone who won and/or entered. Looks like you guys had a good turnout overall. Hopefully, the Saturday morning contest continues to grow to become even more standout on its own. The email reminders are great to those who forget what contests they've entered as long as you don't spam them. Audience numbers are really nice to know because most editors who enter aren't able to attend every contest in person. So that's a good feeling to know how big an audience you're entertaining.
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”