Anime Expo 2017 AMV Competition - FINALISTS POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
XStylus
Org Profile

Anime Expo 2017 AMV Competition - FINALISTS POSTED!

Post by XStylus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:23 am

FINALISTS POSTED!
(Scroll down to second post)

---
Submission Guidelines and Rules
---
Deadline: Saturday, April, 29th, 2017
---
Visit the following link for the official event rules and registration form:
http://www.anime-expo.org/amv-competition
Participant registration direct link: https://goo.gl/W6ZcfA

To check the status of your AMV submission, visit the following link:
http://goo.gl/NGhlXD

Please direct any questions or comments to:
amv(AT)anime-expo.org
---

Most important changes compared to 2016's rules:
1) We now accept certain non-Japanese anime sources. See the rules for details.
2) No pitch-altered music tracks unless there is an obvious artistic reason for it.
3) File size requirements is now just a recommendation, but there's repercussions for ignoring it.
4) Our Technical Standards have been clarified to give a better idea of what kind of flaws we flag.

The rules: TL;DR Edition!
If you read nothing else, please at least read these.
  1. You can send us a total of NINE(!) videos this year, but only in the following combination:
    1. You can send one Action, OR one Drama, OR one Sentiments video. Pick one only.
    2. In addition, you can also send up to three Rhythm, Fun, or Humor videos (any combination is okay, but no more than three total).
      (Please don’t try to sneak in your extra Action/Drama/Sentiment videos as Rhythm/Fun/Humor. We check.)
    3. And in addition to that, you can send up to five Trailer Parodies, TV Commercials, or TV Intro parodies (in any combination).
    4. 1 + 3 + 5 = 9 videos maximum.
  2. If your AMV publicly existed prior to Oct 3rd, 2016, we consider it an old video and won’t accept it.
  3. Don’t use source material that has studio logos, watermarks, or subtitles. Avoid using text, and don’t put in anything that breaks your anonymity.
  4. Don’t send enormous files. We allow AMVs up to 250mb, which is HUGE. If you feel yours needs to be larger, we'll still take it (within reason), but we will re-encode to fit that size limit before we send it to the judges (this is bad). If you need advice on how to properly encode, feel free to ask.
  5. Do your best to preserve visual quality. We play these on giant movie theater sized screens that magnify every imperfection. Test your video in full-screen on the largest TV you can find, not in a YouTube window on your laptop.
  6. Read our Technical Standards. Understand what we consider to be imperfections and learn how to avoid them.
  7. Do not pitch shift your audio. This isn't necessary for us. We’re not YouTube.
  8. We now also accept certain non-Japanese “anime” as sources, so long as the show is made in the typical Japanese anime style. If there’s a source you think might fit this, contact us for approval.
  9. Read ALL the rules, not just this short list.

Thank you, and good luck!
Last edited by XStylus on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

XStylus
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2017 AMV Competition - Deadline: Saturday, April 29th!

Post by XStylus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:23 am

THE FINALISTS!!!

Everyone: "Holy crap, what took so long?"
The answer is simple. Reasons. 8-)

Anyway, let's get on with it, shall we?

The Anime Expo 2017 AMV Competition is proud to present the work of the following talented individuals:

Main Category Finalists:
In alphabetical order:

AntaresHeart07
BecauseImBored1 (x2)
Buggy
CeliaPhantomhive
Cirera
Copycat_Revolver (x2)
CornDog VidVids Team
Fiasco
hamstar138
HanZh
James Blond
King Redeem
Kyci
lunalove125
MadMegatax
MycathatesyouAMV (x2)
Nekokitkat
ngsilver
PieandBeer
pwcagal272
Sephiroth
Shin-AMV
Studio le Croc
Tasha Livingstone
Tigrin
Toon Addict Productions
Trenzilla
UnluckyArtist (x2)
Warlike Cygnet

Additionally, the following individuals have Trailer/Commercial/Intro entries that will be participating in our Bonus Category:
In alphabetical order:

BecauseImBored1
King Redeem (x3)
Maboroshi Studio (x3)
MadMegatax
Nekokitkat (x3)
Pikapwn
shorisquared (x2)
Tigrin

And lastly, we would also like to highlight the following individuals who shall have one of their entries exhibited on a non-competing basis in our event Pre-Show as the audience is being seated.
In alphabetical order:

1MoonGoddess7
Allegoriest
Ararity
Cecily
Celia Phantomhive
Darkrosebud1
Forsaken King Studios
Glitzer
Kireblue
Maboroshi Studio
narujun
NoglasticNinja
PaNTSU oF d00m
ProjectTwinsAMV
Sephirothskr
ShodanKid
Speedy180
Xophilarus

Pre-Show selection criteria was based on the following parameters (each entry must meet any two of these three):
1 - Entrant is likely to be in attendance to see their entry play.
2 - Entry scored decently well in the judging.
3 - One of the coordinators really liked it and selfishly wants to see it play.

Entrants who requested AMV competition tickets and who sent at least one validly accepted entry will receiving an email shortly that provides information on how to obtain your ticket.

Our thanks to everyone who participated. It's going to be a great show!
Last edited by XStylus on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:36 am

Holy CRAP is this thread late, but here we go! Actually, we've been open for submissions for over a month now, but between prep for AX and prep for SakuraCon (whose AMV event our team also helps with), we're busy as hell. Lots of fun stuff happening!

I'm pleased to see that we've already got a good flow of videos in for 2017. Please keep them coming!

In fact, because we're so crazy busy this year, I IMPLORE you to please submit your videos early.

I know that a lot of editors love to submit their entries at the last minute, but seriously, having to inspect over 150+ videos over a single weekend (many of which were sent to earlier events and had not had any changes at all) is devastating. It puts the already fragile schedule of the event at risk, and we just don't have any time to waste this year (unless we start making the deadlines even earlier).

So please, if your video is ready, please send it early. Thank you! :)
Last edited by XStylus on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:43 am

Like an hour ago I was talking to someone wondering when this thread was going to go up. o___o Good luck!!

Hoping to have my videos done in the next week or so, so it's not another sliding-in-at-the-last-minute thing. ^^;

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah... basically, we're nose-deep in prep for SC, plus a few unforeseen things (but good in the long term) on the AX internal side caused us to get a late start in some respects. It sucks that SC runs so close to the AX deadline this year, but it is what it is. Once we get back from SC, there'll be zero rest for us as we shift gears to focus on the inevitable AX flood, which is why it'll help a lot to get videos in early.

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:46 am

Awesome, just submitted the form. Never entered a contest but since I finally have an AMV done I might as well, maybe I'll even have another one done in time.

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:37 am

So mine is already accepted but I'm remaking it right now with better footage, how should I go about getting that to you?

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:53 am

Prof_Finn wrote:So mine is already accepted but I'm remaking it right now with better footage, how should I go about getting that to you?
Just send us an email with the updated download link.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

*sigh*
Spoiler :

This is more depressing for me than i thought.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm

I only have 5 Bonus Category videos done... 1 limited and 2 standard

1 more to hit the max lol...
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Return to “AMV Contests”