Anime Central 2017 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Salkryn
Org Profile

Anime Central 2017 AMV Contest

Post by Salkryn » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Here are the details for the ACen 2017 AMV contest.

Basic Entry Requirements:
• Entries sent to previous Anime Central competitions are not eligible.
Mail entries will be accepted starting February 14th, 2017.
All entries must be in the hands of the contest coordinators by May 12th, 2017.
Contest Categories available: Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, and Freestyle.

• Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, or credits. ACen staff will add uniform credits to all entries. Under some circumstances creator generated credits will be allowed if they are built into the video, a required part of it, and cannot be removed. This creative use of entrant embedded credits will be judged at our discretion.

• 50% of the video must contain anime footage.

a. Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:
Objectionable content of video or lyrics. (Objectionable content includes excessive profanity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit footage or lyrics. If you are not sure if the above rule means your entry will be disqualified e-mail amv-departmenthead@ACen.org and we can view the content in question and make a decision.)

b. Bad audio or video quality.

c. Failure to adhere to the contest rules.

• By submitting your video to this contest you authorize Anime Central staff to screen and distribute it under the Anime Central Music Video Contest title.
• Any physical media that entries are submitted on becomes the property of Anime Central and will not be returned.

• There is a limit of one entry per category per creator.

• Entrants must supply a working e-mail address with each submission. If you do not supply an e-mail address you will be disqualified.

• All entries should supply a mailing address.

• Anime Central staff reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason they see necessary to protect the overall quality and integrity of the program.

• In the event of low submission turnout, winners may be determined by overall ranking instead of by category.

• Information about this year’s AMV contest, AMV programming, and other related topics can be found and discussed on our forum, Facebook page and website. If your questions do not specifically involve your own videos content please direct all questions to the forum first. This same question may be shared by multiple people and may have already been answered. (Find our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AnimeMusicVide ... meCentral/
File Format Requirements:
• Entries must be in a video format playable by VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html)
• Videos may be submitted either via e-mail or on physical media. Entries on physical media should contain only the entry, and may be sent on CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

• Your file name should contain its genre (for contest purposes), your name, and the title of your video, in that order. Studio names, if used, must be placed in brackets between your name and the title. You must follow this format. (Example: GENRE - Artist - [Artist Studio] - Title.file extension)

• All entries must have 1 second of black before the video starts and after it ends.

• Video resolution should be no higher than 1920 x 1080 and no lower than 1280 x 720.
Entry Submission Instructions:
Mail & Online Entries:
E-mail your information to amv-departmenthead@acen.org, even if you have included the information with a physical entry.
Mail Entries:
Package your media carefully in appropriate mailers. Optical media in standard jewel cases can easily break off a hub during shipping.
Mail Entries should be sent to: Gary and Doug Adkins ATTN: ACEN 2017 908 Warren Street Davenport, Iowa 52804
Final Step:
Perform quality control on your entries and read the FAQ post on our forum before mailing or uploading your entries. We will make every effort to view your submission, but reserve the right to request re-submission or disqualify the entry in the case of an unreadable format.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply here or on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AnimeMusicVide ... meCentral/ I check both frequently, so I will respond as promptly as possible.

Salkryn
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2017 AMV Contest

Post by Salkryn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 pm

We've got a few entries already, but more would not hurt my heart.

Salkryn
Org Profile

Post by Salkryn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 pm

A couple of minor rules clarifications for this year's AMV contest:
Video game footage is acceptable for entries, as long as the game footage is thematically appropriate (anime-inspired style, game that was adapted into anime or vice-versa).
The rules state that entries with EXCESSIVE profanity/gore would be invalid. As long as it's within the bounds of reason, it should be fine. Keep it PG-13, please.

jinamv
Org Profile

Post by jinamv » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi, couple of questions:

1) Is any AMV, that hasn't been submitted to an ACEN contest before, okay to send to this one?
2) If I wait to send an entry online, on the due date, would that probably be too late if there are any changes/issues that arise concerning the video?
3) I'm planing on going to ACEN this year, but haven't seen any information on when/where the AMV contest panel via the programming tab on the official website. When/where is the contest being held at the convention?

Thanks in advanced!

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu May 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Salkryn wrote:Video resolution should be no higher than 1920 x 1080 and no lower than 1280 x 720.
What if we're using DVDs as source material? Not allowed?

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu May 04, 2017 12:36 pm

jinamv wrote:Hi, couple of questions:

3) I'm planing on going to ACEN this year, but haven't seen any information on when/where the AMV contest panel via the programming tab on the official website. When/where is the contest being held at the convention?
http://www.acen.org/programming/main-events/
https://guidebook.com/guide/80601/event/15769716/
Come see the best of the Anime Music Videos that have been submitted by your fellow con-goers, and see our picks for the winners of this year's contest.
^I think this is for the winning videos, not the whole contest.

As far as the contest itself, there's never been any schedule published in advance about when it's going to be shown (or at least there hasn't been for the last 5 years or so). For the past few years, they occasionally post a schedule outside of the AMV room (over in the video screening area, usually in the Hyatt, there will be 2 or 3 rooms showing scheduled anime and one room showing non-scheduled AMVs) but sometimes it's just a whiteboard that lists what they're currently showing. You could always pop in and ask them if it doesn't say, it would be nice if there was a way to know in advance but I don't think there is. I'm assuming that the contest with all the videos entered in it will be shown once on Friday and once again on Saturday, maybe in the early evening, but I don't know.

Salkryn
Org Profile

Post by Salkryn » Thu May 04, 2017 6:28 pm

jinamv wrote:Hi, couple of questions:

1) Is any AMV, that hasn't been submitted to an ACEN contest before, okay to send to this one?
2) If I wait to send an entry online, on the due date, would that probably be too late if there are any changes/issues that arise concerning the video?

Thanks in advanced!
1. If it hasn't been submitted to us, then go for it.
2. If it's submitted before the deadline, it should be fine. As long as all fixes are submitted before the Wednesday before the convention (we have to arrive on Thursday and we leave early in the morning, so we need all the final files the night before).
3. The AMV room will be on the first floor of the Hyatt, with the intention of showing the contest entries on both Friday and Saturday, times TBD. We have a time slot on Sunday in main programming to show off the winners.

Salkryn
Org Profile

Post by Salkryn » Thu May 04, 2017 6:32 pm

seasons wrote:
Salkryn wrote:Video resolution should be no higher than 1920 x 1080 and no lower than 1280 x 720.
What if we're using DVDs as source material? Not allowed?
We're flexible on this, as long as the video quality is good. A lot of these contest rules are artifacts from previous years' rules, and my co-DH and I have already made notes of numerous changes that will be in place for next year. As long as your video is of decent quality and not a VHS rip, you'll be okay.

jinamv
Org Profile

Post by jinamv » Sat May 06, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks @Salkryn and @seasons

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue May 09, 2017 12:07 pm

If you're planning on marathoning through all the installments of AMV Hell, can you pass on showing AMV Hell 2?

It's the most rushed, least essential, least funny one of them all, no one will miss it. But the reason I'm bringing it up at all is that the Martin Luther King Jr./Dragon Ball clip in it is definitely racist in its intent and I don't think that really has a place at this kind of event.

Return to “AMV Contests”