SakuraCon 2017 - With Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Re: SakuraCon 2017 - Open for Entries

Post by PieandBeer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

yo this threads been up since november with the deadline and the deadlines are usually around the same time each year. like it's obvs vlad's decision, but i'm pretty sure there will be tons of good videos in by the deadline. why ask the coordinators to alter their schedule for just a few editors? their decision in the end though.

edit: imo, an extension would punish editors that planned accordingly and shelved more ambitious ideas to meet time requirements.
Last edited by PieandBeer on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:
VivifxAMV wrote:Not gonna lie Vlad - but I would kill for a deadline extension lol. Work has been killer - or maybe it's cause I haven't made anything in two plus years so I'm bad at figuring deadlines now XD
Saaaaaaameeeee. Even a few days would be super helpful to me, and might even allow me to pop in a third video.
Thirded. mrn

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm

PieandBeer wrote:yo this threads been up since november with the deadline and the deadlines are usually around the same time each year. like it's obvs vlad's decision, but i'm pretty sure there will be tons of good videos in by the deadline. why ask the coordinators to alter their schedule for just a few editors? their decision in the end though.

edit: imo, an extension would punish editors that planned accordingly and shelved more ambitious ideas to meet time requirements.
irriadin wrote:Thirded. mrn
ok that made me laugh

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 pm

PieandBeer wrote:yo this threads been up since november with the deadline and the deadlines are usually around the same time each year. like it's obvs vlad's decision, but i'm pretty sure there will be tons of good videos in by the deadline. why ask the coordinators to alter their schedule for just a few editors? their decision in the end though.

I understand where you are coming from and totally get it. However not everyone has the luxury of planning their AMV schedules 6 months ahead of time and then having everything pan out exactly as orchestrated. I knew some other editors were struggling as well so I thought I would pose the question to Vlad. I wasn't trying to make a personal attack on editors who "planned accordingly"

As an editor and a creative professional I've been on all sides of a deadline - early, on time, late - as most any creative has been. So when someone else asks for an extension, I try to put myself in their shoes - everyone walks their own path and you have no idea what happens on their trail yah know? So it really isn't fair to assume that someone didn't plan accordingly, just because they are struggling with the date.

Furthermore having more videos in for pooling can only strengthen the quality of the contest - as then there are more videos to select from. I'm not really sure how it can punish editors who shelved more ambitious ideas - extensions are usually only a couple days or a week at most.

edit: I removed my reasons for wanting an extension cause it has no bearing on the point I am trying to make
Last edited by VivifxAMV on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:48 pm

@Vivifx
What I'm saying is that there are plenty of people who are in the same situation as you and do not complain about it. They simply make the best they can make within the time limit and do not ask for more, even in crazy situations they cannot control. Last year, I was stupid with the deadline and sent an unfinished product. I take the blame for that and I fixed it for future contests. My main point here is that the deadline is the responsibility of the editor, not the coordinator. It just feels entitled to me and rude to other editors that some people think their their video is more worthwhile to the contest than the videos that are able to get in before the deadline.

You do not need to give me your whole back story about your job and your video because it does not matter to me. This is a contest. There is a deadline. The deadline is around the same time every year and published months in advanced. Everyone wishes they could have a few more days, but in the end most people just do the best they can. It is just infuriating that I see these posts on every major contest these days and that they are mostly from veteran editors who know when these contests are.

Again, in the end it's still Vlad decision. But I feel like these sort of messages asking for extensions should be PMs to prevent any negative view of the contest if a big name editor pleads for an extension and it is not given.

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Post by KeiichiFace » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 pm

As someone who saw this thread when it was first put up and started their vid then, I think an extension might be frustrating. (Except I always do it for AB more than Sakura whoops sorry Vlad). But hey, like mchy said, maybe I can start and complete an entirely new video.

But also, why's everybody panicking about one contest? There are contests all year. Couldn't you guys wait to submit to those with a finalized, shiny product? Like I wouldn't want y'all to half-ass the rest of your vids for this. That's how STRAY FRAMES HAPPEN. Just save it for another con, or premiere it after August (? I think) and send it next year? That seems reasonable?

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:26 pm

PieandBeer wrote: But I feel like these sort of messages asking for extensions should be PMs to prevent any negative view of the contest if a big name editor pleads for an extension and it is not given.
I'm not really sure how that would cause a negative view - I'm one editor and last time I checked the entirety of the AMV's community and public opinion don't revolve around me and my contest views. I love Sakura-Con and I think Vlad is pretty tight. I'm not gonna hate on a con or a coordinator cause they didn't give one deadline extension. I should hope someone's else's opinion on something should go beyond what one "big name" editor says about it.

Also yeah, I know this is a contest. But also these are anime music videos - a fun hobby that isn't supposed to radically competitive. Its personally frustrating to me how terribly competitive things have gotten in this community - but that's a post for another time. Last time I checked the main goal of making AMVs was to express ourselves and provide an entertaining show for the audience - not be overly rude to each other and get salty about minutia. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding of my tone or something - I wasn't trying to be rude, or come off as an entitled editor who deserves an extension, merely posting the possibility to Vlad in a silly way. I understand being frustrated by the possibility of extensions, but I don't think there was a need to get all serious about this - but maybe I am misunderstanding something too.

Anyway, since there is a concern that my opinion might sway what other people think about this contest and I don't want that at all cause I think this is one of the best contests in the USA currently, I'm done posting about this. Pie I think you are a really cool editor and person - If you wanna talk more about this privately I'm totally down.
KeiichiFace wrote: But also, why's everybody panicking about one contest? There are contests all year. Couldn't you guys wait to submit to those with a finalized, shiny product? Like I wouldn't want y'all to half-ass the rest of your vids for this. That's how STRAY FRAMES HAPPEN. Just save it for another con, or premiere it after August (? I think) and send it next year? That seems reasonable?
I mostly care about this one cause its the only one I'm gonna enter - I'm not really doing contests anymore/ editing that much.
ImageImage

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 am

I had my video DQd today and doing a new one... think I am more excited for the new version. Thanks Vlad!
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 am

It's really hard to extent the deadline...

Handling such a huge contest takes time and we have a large judging circle and we want to be sure to the judges have the proper time to judge fairly and have time to review everyone's work... Then there is all the prep work in making sure the videos, graphics, titles, recaps really look nice and polished.. I don't want Jason to be worked to death as he assembles everything.

We work real hard to put on great show and we just need the time to do it so all those behind the 8 ball will just have to do the best they can :wink:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:36 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:I had my video DQd today and doing a new one... think I am more excited for the new version. Thanks Vlad!
:uhoh:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”