AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jingoro
Org Profile

Re: AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:44 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Okay then. I'm out as well. It was a good run.
I don't get it... I tell you you can be blind, and you quit?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02 pm

jingoro wrote:
I'm not interested in talking in circles any more. My comments were not asking for rules changes, they were asking for concessions from all involved to adhere to a code of ethics that involved strictly respecting blinds. If the firsr response to that was immediately opening the discussion to be "lol, not in da rulz!" then I'm not interested in participating any longer. It's not any fun.

There's an inherent value in blind judging, apart from the huge bias it removes, and that is, if you're not a total asshole by nature, you're not going to be compelled to be one, because you might hurt someone you care about who also entered. If you already know which of your friends made what, you're free to be as big of a jerk as you want.

EDIT- sentences are hard.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm

bashar i dont understand. i'm pretty sure this is what the rules have been the past few years at least, probably more. i dont know of anyone who unblinded themselves or others. the streams were super strict about this and you can watch them to confirm for yourself. i think the issue is that you cant really enforce total blindness with beta testers or know for certain if someone is just guessing (i didnt see much of that either) or lying about knowing. like its your call, i just dont see your logic.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
jingoro wrote:
I'm not interested in talking in circles any more. My comments were not asking for rules changes, they were asking for concessions from all involved to adhere to a code of ethics that involved strictly respecting blinds. If the firsr response to that was immediately opening the discussion to be "lol, not in da rulz!" then I'm not interested in participating any longer. It's not any fun.

There's an inherent value in blind judging, apart from the huge bias it introduces, and that is, if you're not a total asshole by nature, you're not going to be compelled to be one, because you might hurt someone you care about who also entered. If you already know which of your friends made what, you're free to be as big of a jerk as you want.
I never, ever, treated the rules so cavalierly. I agonize over them every year, visibly or not, as I tweak them to my morals and the limits of my ability. The reason that blinds are a suggestion and not a rule is because I CANNOT enforce a blind rule. It's impossible for me to do so however much I want to cajole or encourage people to respect the blinds. The first time someone lies and guesses, "I know that's [X]'s video" and I say "OK, DQ" wrongly, it's all over.

You say you're not after a rules change though, so there's nothing I can do to convince you to remain and participate... If it's not a rule, and you say you're not asking for it to be one, what do you expect me to do when someone decides they don't want to be blind, as is allowed?

I have no move to make... nothing I can do or say at this point. I've clearly lost your respect and I'm sorry I've let you down.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:11 pm

PieandBeer wrote:bashar i dont understand. i'm pretty sure this is what the rules have been the past few years at least, probably more. i dont know of anyone who unblinded themselves or others. the streams were super strict about this and you can watch them to confirm for yourself. i think the issue is that you cant really enforce total blindness with beta testers or know for certain if someone is just guessing (i didnt see much of that either) or lying about knowing. like its your call, i just dont see your logic.
You shouldn't HAVE other participants as beta testers or talk about your entries AT ALL. Period. That's how it used to be treated by most people, even if it wasn't in the rules. It was the accepted way of doing things... Or at least that's how it appeared to be. Maybe I'm wrong. In which case, I'm sorry to have ever entered under that false premise.

jingoro wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:
jingoro wrote:

There's an inherent value in blind judging, apart from the huge bias it introduces, and that is, if you're not a total asshole by nature, you're not going to be compelled to be one, because you might hurt someone you care about who also entered. If you already know which of your friends made what, you're free to be as big of a jerk as you want.
I never, ever, treated the rules so cavalierly. I agonize over them every year, visibly or not, as I tweak them to my morals and the limits of my ability. The reason that blinds are a suggestion and not a rule is because I CANNOT enforce a blind rule. It's impossible for me to do so however much I want to cajole or encourage people to respect the blinds. The first time someone lies and guesses, "I know that's [X]'s video" and I say "OK, DQ" wrongly, it's all over.

You say you're not after a rules change though, so there's nothing I can do to convince you to remain and participate... If it's not a rule, and you say you're not asking for it to be one, what do you expect me to do when someone decides they don't want to be blind, as is allowed?

I have no move to make... nothing I can do or say at this point. I've clearly lost your respect and I'm sorry I've let you down.
YOU haven't lost any respect from me at all. I assure you of that. For the problems I have with the contest, there's nothing YOU can do. It's not up to you to fix everything.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:32 pm

I have a clique?

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:14 pm

This entire site has isolated itself off from the rest of fan editing world. Between reddit, youtube, and everything else. This whole place has become filled with some kind of weird old guard which self-appointed itself. Anyone interested in amvs doesn't bother coming here to learn anything because the community closed itself off. Turning youtube into Booshack was the beginning of the end. People claimed they want honesty and then when I give it's immediately mock that. EXACTLY. That's why there's not going to be anyone left given enough time. I mainly just watched from a distance. I don't expect everyone to realize the bubble they are in, i didn't far as this hobby goes till I ventured out. Kind of had more important things going on. Same reason I'm posting now I released I have no stake in any of this, it doesn't matter. But hey might as well tell some folks about the incoming train. Things like this topic are all some ever care about. I don't think I'll really be listened to, more so mocked by the people that probably would benefit the most. Because attacking is the way this community works. Attack their video quality, attack their editing style, attack their choice of anime. There's only our method which we decided on through an extremely odd and stupid set of arbitrary standards.

THIS WHOLE PLACE IS ONE GIANT BUBBLE. GET OUT OF IT BEFORE IT BURSTS.
This has no relevence to the discussion above it

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote: You shouldn't HAVE other participants as beta testers or talk about your entries AT ALL. Period. That's how it used to be treated by most people, even if it wasn't in the rules. It was the accepted way of doing things... Or at least that's how it appeared to be. Maybe I'm wrong. In which case, I'm sorry to have ever entered under that false premise.
i get what youre saying, i'm just saying that this is entirely unenforceable and the contest can't be based on an unattainable standard. jingoro and other competitors do not have telepathy and nsa surveillance. instead of expecting the contest to fit your blind ideal, we can all work together to try to mitigate some of the issues you think are caused by the less-than-perfect blindness. we can go back and forth about the "good ol' days of awa pro", but i guarantee you that it was probably not 100% blind

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Rider4Z wrote:I have a clique?

Quoted Image converted to link:
https://media.giphy.com/media/QgYPYFgwV2yXK/giphy.gif
Apparently I need to be bitter and against everything your clique stands for because its not my clique.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm

This is the strongest drama category I've ever watched. I vote for that one video.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “AMV Contests”