AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by ngsilver » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:59 am

Xophilarus wrote:said a lot of stuff
You beat me to it! Thanks for the perspective. I would have loved to have been part of the stream and hope to join in next year :D

On to Iliea's suggestions, :up: :cupcake:

I didn't speak up during the closing ceremonies when the idea of a VAT centric or just AMV centric discord was brought up and Jingoro said he'd look into it. I honestly run a few discord servers and wouldn't mind taking on the task of setting one up and doing moderation on it. Obviously as more people join we should have more mods but I know something I miss from the old IRC days is the constant chat throughout the day, and discord servers allows us to setup chat rooms with different topics and we can even restrict access between voice and text chats as well if needed for specific topics. I was planning on spinning one up for the VCA stream next year anyway so we could voice chat while watching :D

So I would love an Org discord. But this post is more VAT centric so maybe we want a different server for the VAT and another for the org. Either way, I'm willing to set one up and get the initial invites out and will take suggestions for fellow mods. Just let me know and I'll pull the trigger if someone else hasn't already.
ImageImageImageImage

SeanPNG
FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!!
Org Profile

Post by SeanPNG » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Jingoro currently has a VAT chat on discord set up for the time being, mostly for talking about category selection. but yea im glad others are willing to step up and help out with this i know ive really enjoyed using Discord for these sorts of things before.

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:04 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
AMV_4000 wrote:
SeanPNG wrote:This year nudity and Graphic intensive videos were saved until the end of the stream and were not treated as mandatory (neither were any videos in the stream for that matter). As for the quality being affected by the stream it is still IMPERATIVE that the videos be watched on their own in addition to the stream to test for quality. Stream will not and should not be the only time participants view all the entries so bugs and frame drops should not affect the final impressions of the videos just because of the stream.
Okay, well I have no idea why someone would want to watch a stream if they're supposed to watch the videos on their own. Just so they watch each video multiple times? It seems like it would present more issues of people coming in and either trash talking videos or trying to convince others to vote how you want. Maybe I'm missing the point of it?
I think you understand the point perfectly. :amv:
Just from a different time of editing. Also as a streamer I know that streams can have issues and as long as people aren't just judging based off of the stream and as long as people are shitting on the videos or anything in chat, I have no real issue. I personally just have never understood the point of group judging when they're asking for your individual opinion. Too many distractions for me, but if it's the way you want to do it don't let my opinion stop you. I was only bringing up issues that I know I have seen from streaming and from judging pro for 12 years... And I've had bad experiences with group judging in the past...

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Just so everyone is clear, there is no group judging taking place. And nobody tries to come to any kind of consensus during these things. People participate in the streams because it makes watching 4-5 hours of AMVs more enjoyable. Nobody talks while the videos are playing, and everyone even mutes their mic at the time. And when the videos end, everyone voices their likes and dislikes about the video. No video was spared of criticism, and no video was allowed to be trashed either. And to the best of my knowledge, everyone made a point to watch the videos by themselves afterwards.

People enjoy the streams simply because doing things with your friends is enjoyable. Its also enjoyable being able to talk to people that you may not have had the opportunity to interact with before. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for things like the viewing streams and parties, interest for the competition wouldn't be nearly as strong. The people that are tying to advocate stopping the streams remind me of when companies try to stop the fans from making derivative works of their IP. Its pretty close to impossible to stop them, and all that they are doing is stifling the ways that their fans express their interest and passion. The viewing parties like the one that CBR hosts in Atlanta every year, and the online streams are the ways that people are expressing their interest in the competition. There is no malicious intent or meta-gaming about it. If you can't understand that, then I just don't know what to say, and I don't really feel like typing up a novel to explain it to you.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 pm

In terms of Ileia's suggestion of imposing contest moderators, I think that could be a pretty cool idea. And having them available for beta testing is also pretty cool. Not sure how hard it would be to find volunteers for this task, but at the very least, it would encourage people to be less reliant on other participants for beta testing. I don't feel that a official rule should be in place for not sending your beta to participants though. Sometimes, you may need to advice or opinion of a very specific person because of a specific skill set or knowledge that they have whether or not they're in the competition as well. And making rules that you can't really enforce is pointless IMO.

I also like Ileia's livestream idea. Having it be official and controlled by the moderators makes everything a lot more transparent.

I also agree with her that having moderators will make category selection and assistance/ clarification more efficient.

The only thing that she said that I'm not a fan of is the timeline. As a participant, I would like to keep the extra month to edit. And as someone that organizes Project Org Editor (a online summer AMV competition that runs from June to mid/late August), not overlapping with Pro's deadline is personally convenient for me.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:
MaboroshiStudio wrote: Correct me if I misunderstood you...
I think I can make this correction. I don't think Shin was proposing a change. Seemed like an idealogical statement of what voting means, and why discussion helps.
Shin-AMV wrote: [Each] of us as editors [is] picking videos to present to an audience that we feel is representative of what it means to be 'Pro' or top tier. [Stuff about discussion raising awareness.]
^ This one. I wasn't suggesting we make any fundamental changes I was just defending the ability to discuss the videos at all junctures of the contest. Although, I suppose I may have gone a tad extra hard on the idealogical loftiness which may have led to some confusion because it might have seemed like I was advocating it should be mandatory, when I wanted to just stress the importance of it for those who take part and an essential element for those who do take part.

Anyways, discussion/debate may not be expressly codified in the rules, but its also never been expressly discouraged and discussion has long been an established part of the contest as a whole. Doing a quick search I found review threads from the early 2000s that are just as robust and rich as any of our discussions today regarding technical skills (Clean technical vs lots of technical), the trendy effects (piano keys and flashes), and in general various ways to approach viewing/interpreting the videos and elements to be considered while voting for them.

2005 seemed to be an interesting year with a lot of discussion revolving around the merits of a 26 minute long video and a lot of differing views to approach evaluating it, and its stuff like that when I say its important to challenge our expectations of what makes a quality video. People's opinions vastly differed on the video but it made people think on different aspects that usually get taken for granted. I also found it amusing that a lot of people back in the day would complain that everyone should be watching the videos on their TVs not their computer but the rebuttle was that people were doing both for the most part, which is fairly analagous to today with how people should be downloading the vids and not just watching on a stream and people claiming that they do both.

So there is plenty of precedent with regards to discussion being an integral part of the AWA Pro process. Overall though, the rules seem to be written in a way to give credence to tradition and allow flexibility for the participants to take advantage of new developments or new ideas for the presentation and sharing of ideas. The only real substantive rule with regard to voting is in two sentences.

"Voting in this contest is a privilege, not an obligation. We also ask that judges vote their own conscience, making their own decision."

And I think the way I outlined the importance of discussion falls easily in line with this and doesn't deviate from whats been happening for more than at least a decade in this contest. In order for me to make a decision and vote my conscience I need to feel fully informed, and that I've done my due diliigence. In order to do that I need to have discussions to make sure I'm not missing something or figuring out if I'm weighing different merits or issues properly, equitably, or fair. So in order to exercise my privilege or right to vote I need to be provided avenues to do this and having periods of no discussion or waiting until after voting for discussion to take place directly affects my voting privilege in a negative way.

Also, it seems like we're just literally rehashing an issue that just never gets put to bed regardless of the coordinator and specific ruleset.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 41#p738741
MCWagner wrote:The original intent of "blind judging" in pro was so that people could judge the video itself in isolation, that is, not comparing the video to previous work by the same editor, and not letting politicing between individuals get in and muddle things up. It lets y'all just judge the videos against one another, without any outside influence.

Y'all appear to be interpreting it as "everyone must come up with their votes in isolation from any discussion with other judges." I've no problem with people voting that way (as a way of being honest with their own impressions), but considering that some people get together with other judges for the first watch-through it's kind of unrealistic to expect everyone else to do the same.

In the final analysis, judges should definitely place votes according to how they really feel things should be judged, and not be bullied by other opinions into doing differently. Remember that judging is also by a hidden ballot, so no one's gonna find out that you preferred "A" over "B" unless you tell them. However, unless I'm missing some problem here, I don't think there's anything wrong with talking over your judgements online, so long as A) we all stay civil and fair and B) someone doesn't try to get around the video "blinding" by telling/figuring out who made what.
Its fine if people don't want to talk/discuss/debate if they feel like thats how they'll come up with the best vote, just don't force that unto others who feel the need to take a different approach. Nothing has fundamentally changed except for technology and the means we communicate.

Also with regards to the oscar/academy award stuff, if we were following that as the example we should strive for I eagerly await receiving someone's submission delivered on a new IPad as part of a 'for your consideration' campaign. I won't vote for it just because of that, but I can't lie since it would make me pause for a second before I realize that I have ever so slightly higher standards. Maybe. Well send me the IPad and we can figure it out from there. |:>

I also realized that according to the current set of rules if someone was feeling really spicy, they could actually host a 'For Your Consideration' viewing event with booze and food explicitly campaigning for a particular video fully revealing if it was your video or not as well. It might be against the spirit of the rules, but its perfectly fine according to the letter/wording of the rules. (Participants choose how secret or blind they want to be, Privacy of own home is not a public venue. Professionalism standards aren't clearly defined, etc etc.)

But not to derail things too much, the Academy Awards has a lot more of marketing and campaign stuff which are things people are trying to avoid because that starts to cross the line of discussion into campaigning that ends up tainting things a bit because we aren't having honest discourse regarding those particular videos anymore.
Rider4Z wrote:I like to think we're a little more diligent and thorough compared to the Oscars. I assume we all actually WATCH everything.
Agreed.
kireblue wrote:Just so everyone is clear, there is no group judging taking place. And nobody tries to come to any kind of consensus during these things. People participate in the streams because it makes watching 4-5 hours of AMVs more enjoyable. Nobody talks while the videos are playing, and everyone even mutes their mic at the time. And when the videos end, everyone voices their likes and dislikes about the video. No video was spared of criticism, and no video was allowed to be trashed either. And to the best of my knowledge, everyone made a point to watch the videos by themselves afterwards.

People enjoy the streams simply because doing things with your friends is enjoyable. Its also enjoyable being able to talk to people that you may not have had the opportunity to interact with before. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for things like the viewing streams and parties, interest for the competition wouldn't be nearly as strong. The people that are tying to advocate stopping the streams remind me of when companies try to stop the fans from making derivative works of their IP. Its pretty close to impossible to stop them, and all that they are doing is stifling the ways that their fans express their interest and passion. The viewing parties like the one that CBR hosts in Atlanta every year, and the online streams are the ways that people are expressing their interest in the competition. There is no malicious intent or meta-gaming about it. If you can't understand that, then I just don't know what to say, and I don't really feel like typing up a novel to explain it to you.
Also very much this. x1000000
Rider4Z wrote: Get over yourself Shin geez
haters gon' hate. Just can't handle this level of kawaii
Last edited by Shin-AMV on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:haters gon' hate. Just can't handle this level of kawaii
Let the return of the gif wars commence.
Shin-AMV wrote:Also with regards to the oscar/academy award stuff, if we were following that as the example we should strive for I eagerly await receiving someone's submission delivered on a new IPad as part of a 'for your consideration' campaign. I won't vote for it just because of that, but I can't lie that it would make me pause for a second before I realize that I have ever so slightly higher standards. Maybe. Well send me the IPad and we can figure it out from there. |:>
I see you watch Adam Ruins Everything too :beer:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:09 pm

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:02 pm

SeanPNG wrote:Iliea
MaboroshiStudio wrote:ilieas
Xophilarus wrote:ILEIAH'S
ngsilver wrote:Iliea's

Back to srs:

I like Warlike Swan's point about beta testers being available for newer editors and I admit it's not something I'd thought about. We often assume that Pro is, well..all the usual suspects. It's not, though, and it'd be good to make Pro feel more welcoming and accessible.

To the (multiple) points about wanting to use other entrants as beta testers - that's why I mentioned compromise in my original post.

My stance on this is well-known. I feel as though every video should be on the same level and I don't want to know anyone's videos beforehand - and I can get kind of aggressive about my own remaining blind. Not being judged on my name or previous videos is important to me, I just want the video judged on its own merit. I use Pro to try new things or break out of my comfort zone and I get valuable critique on the videos, even when some reviews are not kind. These days, I find it increasingly hard to get honest, unbiased feedback and Pro is one of the few places where I can count on that. So if there are editors who are entering Pro who I really respect and give the best feedback, I don't want my feelings spared, I want that feedback impartial and unfiltered.

Now, other people do not feel the same and do things differently in that respect. The "as blind as you want it to be" rule has pretty much always been the norm. It's not something that I like, but it's not /my/ contest. At some point, you just have to pick your battles and I'm not really interested in pursuing this after a decade of being salty about it. Ultimately, as long as whatever entrant isn't outing whose video is whose, it's of little consequence.

So we arrive back at compromise. Having moderators available to beta test is just an /option/, not a requirement. I know quite a few editors who've had trouble getting beta-testers and (like me) prefer to ask non-entrants. The moderators would be good to have there to use, if those people are so inclined. If not, then don't.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Ileia wrote:
SeanPNG wrote:Iliea
MaboroshiStudio wrote:ilieas
Xophilarus wrote:ILEIAH'S
ngsilver wrote:Iliea's
Rider4Z wrote:Ileia

Return to “AMV Contests”