Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2016 Pro AMV review!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Re: Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2016 Pro AMV review!

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Look I'm not really involved in this as a whole, so my thoughts can be taken with that grain of salt. But just to clear here-

I'm not saying Pro reviews need to be "G" rated for the kiddos nor am I saying feedback needs to be muffled. But you can definitely craft an honest and legit critique without being an asshole. For example:

1) While I appreciate the idea, you didn't put enough effort into the work as a whole. The technicals were really messy. You should probably watch a tutorial on AMVlog on color correction cause it was very convoluted.

2) I think you did a great job incorporating your overall idea and vision into this video, but I feel like the technicals could have used work overall. I know there are some great tutorials out there addressing color correction, you should check out this video on AMVlog for some more assistance!

Both are honest, neither is "sugar-coated" both convey the same message. But you can clearly see two comes from a place of assistance, and is generally a more open and positive experience for the reviewee. I think the main difference is that one is very finite where two clearly shows that the author believes the creator could make these changes. Both took me about the same time to write. And honestly if you don't want to give someone any constructive feedback you can just say "I personally wasn't a fan of this video, but I do see that effort was put forth to make it." much tact wow

These are AMVs lol, so I don't really think any sense of professional decorum is always applied, but since this is AWA PRO and as CracktheSky pointed out should be held to a higher standard lets look at it that way.

In the professional creative community critiquing and reviewing are standard fair. So just when you leave a review and critique you could just try to be PROfessional about it. And I can say as an artist who who has been working professionally for several years, while I've personally received both types of critiques, two is the one that would stick more for me and give me some walking away points.

I know its hard in pro cause its anonymous so you don't know who you are writing to. But it is totally possible that while you are saying 'Wow look at this troll video!" its not actually a troll video, its just someone trying their best (I have made this mistake in the past) . And then you've written that person, who may be brand new a very upsetting block of text.

Personally as stated before I'm not making AMVs as a whole right now so this doesn't really effect me. But critiques/reviewing and positive feedback are things that have always been interest to me. I've personally been hurt by some critiques I've received in the past for various things, so I always try to just write the type of reviews I would like to receive. I am with Shin - I am personally ashamed of some of the shit talking I've engaged in - when the people behind the videos are just trying their best. I tend to have thicker skin now than I used to since I work in an industry where its really impossible to be successful unless you learn how to let things roll off of you, but thats not the case with everyone.

But yeah Tl; dr: You Can be politely R Rated, or a G rated asshole - its not really about content, more about how its presented.
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Ya'll are taking my "R" vs "PG-13" rating analogy literally? :P It was just a comparison of what can be considered offensive. Obviously being an asshole puts you in the Deadpool category.

PieandBeer wrote:I like the idea of two threads, mostly for my data plan though (all your gifs dangit >:C )
Spoiler :
On a platter.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm

MORE GIFS MORE GIFS

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Rider4Z wrote: On a platter.
the moment of terror when i saw sailordeath posted his reviews and the loading thing on my phone just kept going and going ;AAAAA;

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/56 ... Y0BTMM.png

MORE GIFS MORE GIFS

Make a bad review about my entry and the trash man's gonna make you rue the day.
Last edited by MycathatesyouAMV on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:06 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:FAIL

Fixed

*Now that you fixed it, I look like a douche. Well played........
Last edited by Shin-AMV on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 pm

hmmmm....i see nothing wrong you must be blind
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 pm

PieandBeer wrote:the moment of terror when i saw sailordeath posted his reviews and the loading thing on my phone just kept going and going ;AAAAA;
I'll give you that one.
Shin-AMV wrote:*Now that you fixed it, I look like a douche. Well played........
Take a screenshot next time.

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Got the evidence of the struggle here fam.

Return to “AMV Contests”