Kita-Kon 2015 AMV Contest - CLOSED (Results Inside)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kita-Kon
Org Profile

Kita-Kon 2015 AMV Contest - CLOSED (Results Inside)

Post by Kita-Kon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Submissions Closed - http://www.kita-kon.org/?page_id=559

Results are posted below on the first page.

Thank you for continuing to support our contest, it really couldn't be done without the amazing AMV creators all around the world.

We're back for another year! Kita-Kon will be hosting an AMV contest at the convention August 21-23, 2015. You can find all of the rules and guidelines on the link posted above, but I will also include them here for easy viewing. Please use the form on our website to submit your entries. If you have any questions, please let me know at admin@kita-kon.org. Good luck to everyone who enters!

------------

Deadlines

Contest submissions will be closed Friday August 14th, 2015, at 11:59pm EST. Contest winners will be announced by September 1st, 2015.

Categories
  • Action & Adventure
  • Comedy, Parody, & Trailers
  • Romance & Drama
  • Upbeat & Dance
General Rules
  • A maximum of three (3) entries, one (1) per category, is allowed per person.
  • Multi-Editor Projects are eligible for entry, as long as you include all of the editors information.
  • You do not need to be in attendance to submit a video to the contest or to win a category.
  • Submitted AMVs must have been premiered between August 1st, 2014, and the convention date to qualify.
  • Submissions that have premiered at other conventions, or that have won awards, are permitted.
Formatting Rules
  • Videos must be longer than one (1) minute and shorter than eight (8) minutes in length.
  • There must be at least (1) second of black buffer time at the beginning and end of the video.
  • Title & end cards must be removed from the video file, we will be providing our own for each video at the show.
  • Submitted AMVs must have a minimum of 75% Japanese animation or video game footage to qualify.
  • Videos must not contain subtitled footage.
  • Keep it PG-13! No nudity, excessive violence, or excessive swearing. Use common sense please...
Technical Rules
  • Video files must be submitted in the following containers only; .avi, .mp4, & .mkv.
  • Resolutions must be at or above 800×600 (4:3) or 1280×720 (16:9).
  • Framerates must be 29.97fps or above.
  • Audio quality must be at a bitrate of 128kbps or greater and a sampling rate of 44.1k or greater.
  • .mp3, .aac, and other compressed audio formats are permitted.
Submission Rules
  • We will not accept Youtube or any other video streaming links as a submission. Please use one of the following services to give us access to your files; Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, AMV, or Personal Hosting.
  • Please format the file name as follows: "amvtitle_alias.extension"
Judging
  • Each category will be judged twice, first by a group of selected judges, and second by fans at the event.
  • Judges will mark each video on a number of different qualities, such as; content, story, timing, effects, and impact. First place winners in each category will receive a plaque, with the overall best in show receiving a trophy.
  • Fans will have one vote per video out of ten. Fan voted videos will not receive a physical trophy, but will receive bragging rights for the year.
Winners

Winners will be mailed a plaque or trophy once scores have been finalized.
Last edited by Kita-Kon on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Re: Kita-Kon 2015 AMV Contest - OPEN

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

I've entered. I hope it meets the requirements. Please let me know if it doesn't I'll see what I can do
I'm kind of surprised your form doesn't ask for the anime title or the song/artist. You're probably the first AMV contest I've seen not do that

Kita-Kon
Org Profile

Post by Kita-Kon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Thank you for entering, everything looks fine on our end.

For our purposes we don't really need the anime or song titles. We find that if they are included in the AMV set list given to judges or attendees it can sway their opinions when they vote. I don't even give the AMV creator or AMV titles to the judges during the pre-judging session. It's a bit overkill, but it works for us. If we ever did need the song title, there are ways of easily getting them. As for anime, most of our staff are huge fans, so it wouldn't be hard to identify any of them.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Glad to hear it =) I was concerned about that one second of black rule as I couldn't remember if I added it and adding or editing things to my video after it's made always causes problems >_>
So you're not going to say what anime the video is from if it plays at the convention? That actually makes sense especially for pre-screening but a big part of AMV contests for me as an attendee is knowing where the anime comes from so I can look it up later if it seems interesting to me.

Kita-Kon
Org Profile

Post by Kita-Kon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:55 pm

We have a feed back form included with the voting cards and an online survey with event feed back sections and we have never had someone ask for a series name. We've had several people ask for the AMV title or artist, though. Still, that's a really good point. We'll think about including that information next year.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Interesting. Maybe by learning the AMV title/creator, they figure it out from there.
You have a good theory. I know when I see my favorite anime in the ballot, it's very tempting to want to vote for it simply because it's my favorite anime but if the judges or audience already knows the anime wouldn't they recognize it in the video and be swayed anyway? I'm not trying to put down your contest or how you do things. I'm just curious what you think.
Thank you for replying so soon. It's interesting to hear how different cons do their contests. :D

BladEra123
Org Profile

Post by BladEra123 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Sent three in, please let me know if you received them. Thanks for the e-mail :)
Legend Dies, but Legacy Never Ends~
YouTube Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/bladera123
MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/profile/BladEra123

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Do we have a list of finalist and winners for this contest?
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Kita-Kon
Org Profile

Post by Kita-Kon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Here they finally are, the AMV Contest results!

Top 3, Action/Adventure
Figment by MrNoSec - 33.7 / 40
Once Upon a Time by Fadoo-sama - 33 / 40
The Curse by Yusuke - 31.7 / 40

Top 3, Drama/Romance
Echo of Life by Ookami - 32.3 / 40
Stand in the Rain by Knage - 31.4 / 40
We Could Be by Aiisx - 30.7 / 40

Top 3, Comedy/Parody
Laugh at the Lurid by Unlucky Artist - 33.3 / 40
Mad Max Redline Fury by Maboroshi Studio - 31.7 / 40
Fast & Redline by Tempii - 31 / 40

Top 2, Dance/Upbeat
I Told You So by Unlucky Artist - 30.7 / 40
Around the World by ClosetOtakuAMV - 28.3 / 40

Scoring was done by a set of judges scoring in three technical categories and a personal opinion category. These were then averaged for the final scores.

Return to “AMV Contests”